Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

NYS Class R endorsement

Has NYS resident obtained a NYS R endorsement in order to drive a large MH in NYS? If so how does one go about it? The info does not seem to be easy to find online.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #2

I'm looking into this also.

I think the magic number is 26,000# gross combined weight rating. Apparently there is a "learners permit" that requires you have a in-class driver with you when practicing and to/from a skills test. (Good grief!) Also there is some sort of drivers manual.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #3

DMV clerk knowledge of this endorsement varies quite a bit. I got mine in 2011. It only requires a road test. They use the same skills check list as for other classes of non-commercial tests. It has 20 areas of skill, and each area deducts 5 points for a fail. Passing is either 70 or 75, I don't remember for sure. And, yes, it includes the silly parallel parking test.

I spent a few hours training with a driving school that does all classes of license, and they were familiar with the test procedures and the physical locations generally used for the test. I paid the instructor to drive me to the test, since he was CDL rated.

I had about 5000 miles of experience driving my 38 foot, 29400 Lb. DP in Florida where no endorsement is required. I passed the test with 100%.

DMV issued a 1 year learner's permit for 10 bucks so that I would be legal for the lessons.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #4

Thanks. I guess I will wait until I buy such a MH, since I have nothing to practice with, we'll sort of. I avoid place where I would have to parallel park my 30 ft class C.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
jkoenig24

I met one NYer who did it. The local DMV office was clueless. He did his research and, knew more about the topic that DMV staff did. I believe a road test in the big rig is necessary as well as an Air Brake Endorsement. The Escapees HDT Forum is a WEALTH of information;

The Heavy Haulers Resource Guide & HDT Rally Site - HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

Finally pulled the trigger on an HDT! - Page 2 - HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #6

I am also a NYS resident on LI looking for this info. Debating if I should reach out to a CDL school.
drbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #7

Anyone ever hear of someone getting a ticket? I winder if law enforcement knows & enforces the law.

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
jkoenig24

A CDL comes with some “gotchas”. If you don’t otherwise need a CDL, make sure you know what you’re signing up for BEFORE you spend the time and money involved.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #9

I got this endorsement in 2013 when I had a 3500 Dually and a 43' toy hauler. As already noted, most small local DMV's are clueless, but I called the Syracuse office and they were helpful. Two cautions: 1) this endorsement is required if the GVWR (Rating, not actual weight) is over 26,000 pounds. 2) you will be required to parallel park your rig!

I just Googled "NYS DMV R endorsement" and here's the result:

Recreational Vehicle or “R” endorsement - Recreational vehicles, with or without air brakes, are not defined as commercial vehicles. You can apply for an “R” endorsement for your Class D, Class E or non-CDL Class C driver license to allow you to operate a recreational vehicle (RV) with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of over 26,000 pounds (11,794 kg). An “R” endorsement also allows you to drive a rental vehicle with a length of more than 40 feet for the transportation of personal household products.
To get an “R” endorsement: Submit a completed Application for Driver License or ID Card (MV-44), indicating a license amendment, to a state or county motor vehicle office; pay a permit fee, which is valid for a maximum of two road tests; and pass a road test in the size and type of vehicle you will drive. No written test is required. For the road test, a driver who is at least 21 with a license valid for the vehicle you will drive during the test must accompany you. (e.g., a driver license with an “R” endorsement or the correct Commercial Driver License). The road test will take approximately 15 minutes and will include turns, intersections and backing the vehicle to the curb. When you pass the road test, you must go to a motor vehicle office and pay the required fee to complete the license amendment process.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #10

Thanks jkoenig24. I will check that discussion out. Thanks wbdavey for those details.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #11

Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
An “R” endorsement also allows you to drive a rental vehicle with a length of more than 40 feet for the transportation of personal household products.
The road test will take approximately 15 minutes and will include turns, intersections and backing the vehicle to the curb.
So if you just want to rent an RV for a week you have to go through this?

(Not sure I see the problem with "backing to the curb" unless they have cones that limit the distance to something barely exceeding the RV length.)

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #12

Don't know if they rent super C's (over 26,000 lbs).
Old 05-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
So if you just want to rent an RV for a week you have to go through this?

(Not sure I see the problem with "backing to the curb" unless they have cones that limit the distance to something barely exceeding the RV length.)

Larry
Larry, you only need this endorsement if the RV you rent has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)over 26,000 pounds. Note this is the rating, not the actual weight which will be less. RV's this big are either 40' 5th wheels pulled by a dually or a 40' diesel pusher motor home. By the way, how many RV dealers know and explain to potential customers that they cannot legally drive that new 40' diesel pusher motor home they want to buy?

Backing to the curb is parallel parking a 43' trailer in my case. I practiced on well marked street with clear painted lines for each parking spot. On the day of the road test they took me on a street with no markings or lines of any kind. I had to guess when the rear of the trailer was getting close to the curb so I could cut the wheel to square the rig up with the curb. I missed by about 3 feet! But I passed anyway.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #14

Recently got my R Endorsement

I just got mine and it's pretty easy except that no one at the DMV knows how to do it. The agent had to look through manuals to figure out how to generate the Permit. But he did figure it out. The next agent had to research what test to sign me up for. But he did it. The last agent needed to go to the books again to figure out how to generate the license. But again, she did it. The road test was straightforward, do your air brake checks, turn left, turn right, parallel park - No using your backup camera. - go around some streets and voila! You do need someone licensed with an R endorsement or higher, yes they check. I had a friend with a Class A CDL go with me and they checked his license carefully. Good Luck
Serenity-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity-RV View Post
I just got mine and it's pretty easy except that no one at the DMV knows how to do it. The agent had to look through manuals to figure out how to generate the Permit. But he did figure it out. The next agent had to research what test to sign me up for. But he did it. The last agent needed to go to the books again to figure out how to generate the license. But again, she did it. The road test was straightforward, do your air brake checks, turn left, turn right, parallel park - No using your backup camera. - go around some streets and voila! You do need someone licensed with an R endorsement or higher, yes they check. I had a friend with a Class A CDL go with me and they checked his license carefully. Good Luck

Sounds like a hilarious time with much patience required.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Sounds like a hilarious time with much patience required.
Whats the air brake test require? I assume wait for pressure build up & test them?

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #17

Hold down brake can’t allow pressure to drop certain amount of air in like a minute then pump breaks to see if buzzer goes off when below certain poundage also think yellow knob supposed to pop
Old 05-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutton View Post
Whats the air brake test require? I assume wait for pressure build up & test them?
If you Google NYS DMV Air Brakes you'll find several sample multiple choice tests of 25 questions each. You must get at least 20 right to pass. Try it, it's not as easy as it sounds.

I don't know what the road test portion of this endorsement requires.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #19
jkoenig24

These days, I believe the test to get an "Air Brakes" endorsement is a LOT more involved. The RVSEF has a video (as do others).

Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 PM   #20

Nope same test at a Texas DMV