Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2024, 06:21 AM   #1

Officially a New Owner of a Dynmax 2024 Isata 3 24FWSFX Freedom Edition

After finding a '24 Isata 3 24FWSFX Freedom Edition we wanted back in early March, we finally took ownership of it yesterday. It wasn't as easy of a process as other coaches I bought but I'm hopeful this will be the best coach so far.

It took a while to find one and once we did, it took 2 1/2 months to complete the transaction. We live in southwest Florida and are there about 9 months a year. The local dealer didn't have one so I would have had to order a 2025.

Around the beginning of March a 24FWSFX (white / grey) popped up on RV Trader at Best Choice Trailers in western PA, which happens to be where we grew up and we spend the summers since our family is all still back there. We also still have some property with a pole building I had built for storing our RV.... and our Super C was stored there over the winter.

When I contacted Best Choice they said they just got it in and I was the first one to inquire about it. They had posted about 40 pictures and it looked great..... it was still wet from being washed. They got back to promptly with a price for the 24FWSFX and my trade.

One we agreed on a price we set the date for the PDI. We already had plans to fly back to PA in early April to see family for a few days so we could easily take our Super C over to trade it and pick up the 24FWSFX. I warned the dealer I'm not the typical customer and I would be spending 4 - 6 hours doing a PDI. They told me I could take as much time as I wanted inspecting the coach.

When we got to the dealership in April we really liked the coach... and that it had not been sitting at the dealership very long or over the PA winter. During the PDI my wife and I uncovered a few minor issues:

- Leaking Kitchen Sink Drain
- Bad USB Port
- Broken Window Latch
- Bad Ground Fault in all of the Electrical Outlets

As we kept going through our PDI Checklist the techs started fixing the issues as we identified them. The drain was an easy fix and they had to take the Power Control Center apart to check and tighten connections on the ground bus bar, which solved the Ground Fault. They had to order the window latch and a new USB port but not a big deal.

I uncovered one major problem with Battery Pack A. It was only reading 6V and would not charge. The techs were unfamiliar with the Freedom Edition. They had gone through training several months before but this was the first one they had on the lot. Fortunately I was well prepared and was able to quickly get the Battery Recovery Procedure from another owner I knew.

The Recovery Procedure would only work for about 10 minutes before failing and having to start it again. I finally called Xantrex Support and after being on the phone with them for an hour they were stumped and we were at a dead end.

We were 6 hours into the PDI and it was clear we wouldn't be taking the coach home. So we stopped the PDI and sat down with the GM to talk about next steps. We didn't want to walk away from this one because other than the Battery Pack Issue we thought the coach was well constructed. We already had plans to come back to PA again in May and the GM assured us they could get it resolved by then.

So we showed up at the dealership yesterday morning at 9:00AM and took us back to the coach. Right away the tech said they got the Battery Pack A issue fixed. He told us that Dynamax sent one of their techs out to help them troubleshoot. Turns out there was a wiring issue back at the Inverter / Charger they uncovered. Once they got that resolved the Battery Pack completed the recovery procedure and charged up normally.

We then spent a final two hours completing our PDI check-list...... 8 hours total.... and then taking it out for a test drive. We found the old propane tank door didn't have a lock on it so they were going to order one for us. I also asked for about 6 window latches because several of them weren't locking or the push button was starting to come out. The window latches may be the only "weak-link" in the coach.

When we got it outside in the sun, we noticed the passenger side storage compartment door paint had an issue. The paint almost looked like it had run or was sagging on two places, which was surprising because the rest of the paint job looked great. It also had a scuff that would not buff out for the tech. We showed it to management and they agreed something was wrong with the paint on the compartment door. Either something happened during the painting process or it got damaged somewhere and someone tried to fix it unsuccessfully. They agreed to contact Dynamax and either get a new door pre-painted or they would have the door repainted locally after speaking with Dynamax on the best approach.

We were happy with the dealership's agreement to address the storage compartment door paint issue so we completed the paperwork.

Best Choice Trailers was a good dealership. They are a small dealership but they were very responsive throughout the sales and delivery process. It was also the fastest paperwork process I've ever experienced. They didn't try to sell me a paint protection package.... an interior protection package..... an extended warranty..... a maintenance package. They just sold me the coach, which was refreshing!

Also kudos to Dynamax for sending one of their own techs to the dealership. The Freedom Edition is a new beast for dealerships. Not only did they solve the Battery Pack issue but I could tell the additional time spent with the dealership techs made them more confident and knowledgable with the Freedom Edition.

I was impressed with the coach on the drive home. The coach handled and rode very well.... even better than I had expected... both at low speeds and at 70MPH on the interstate. It was also much quieter than our Super C with far less rattling, squeaking, etc.

I'm surprised I've read some people complaining about ride quality, handling, noise, etc. I have done suspension upgrades on my previous coaches and had anticipated at least installing Sumo Springs on this one but after putting about 100 miles on it yesterday I actually think I may not touch the suspension on this one!!!

I did notice one thing that was happening with Battery Pack A on the drive home (which was the one with the initial problem I uncovered during my PDI). We made a couple stops on the way back from the dealership and I noticed Battery A was giving a High Voltage Fault. When I cleared the Fault it seemed to be ok for a while but it would come back again after driving.

I'm guessing that after being fully charged on shore power then driving for an hour and a half between the alternator and full sun with the solar that it was causing the battery voltage to hit a threshold that caused the BMS to take it offline.

Perhaps another Freedom Edition owner can comment on whether they have seen any battery high voltage faults while driving.

Unfortunately after tomorrow the coach will be sitting in storage until we come back to PA iat the end of June so I won't be able to do any more investigating until then.

I'll have July - September to work on the coach and get it where we want it to be. We also have a few trips planned in PA, OH and NY before we take it down to Florida and keep it there. Our plan is to sell our property in PA and just stay in the coach whenever we come back north to see family.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ownership Picture.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	299883  
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:20 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Congrats!

have not seen a high voltage, but I have seen a high temp. Xantrex told me the high temp thing is not really a warning. It is an "internal" message on the BMS to signal that it can lower charging. Firefly is just a display for the Xantrex, so it is sending the signal it gets, even if it should not. I think they made a software change to correct that.

I am not sure if high voltage is the same thing or not...but food for thought.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Congrats!

have not seen a high voltage, but I have seen a high temp. Xantrex told me the high temp thing is not really a warning. It is an "internal" message on the BMS to signal that it can lower charging. Firefly is just a display for the Xantrex, so it is sending the signal it gets, even if it should not. I think they made a software change to correct that.

I am not sure if high voltage is the same thing or not...but food for thought.

Thanks Brian..... you have been a lot of help throughout my purchase process and I am very appreciative of your input the past few months. You made me a comfortable and confident buyer and ultimately a new Dynamax customer.

I may..... or may not have.... found my High Voltage Fault issue. When I went out to the coach this morning, Battery A had kicked out another High Voltage Fault. So that shot down my theory of the Solar and Alternator possibly causing a bogus fault.

I really didn't have a chance to start looking at things closely but as I did this morning I saw the Inverter settings were all wrong.

First the charger was set for Flooded batteries and not LiFePO. Then I found several other settings that were out of whack like the Low Voltage Cut-off and even the Charging Voltage and some other settings.

I'm not sure how integrated the battery control is via the Inverter / Charger settings but it has been running now that past hour or so without any High Voltage Faults and the batteries seem to be behaving more as expected. I pulled up the Xantex 310Ah Spec Sheet and adjusted the Inverter / Charger settings based on the battery spec sheet.

Fortunately I'm experienced with the Freedom XC Pro 3000 Inverter / Charger. I put that in my Super C when I did my Lithium Conversion. I kept Xantrex Freedom X Remote Bluetooth Panel so I could connect it to this coach now and use the Xantrex app for reading and changing settings on the Inverter / Charger. It is so much easier with the app than the actual Inverter Control Panel and even easier than the Firefly Display in some respects.

I was able to run the data cable through the Battery Compartment ventilation hole under the bed to connect one end to the Inverter and then connected the other end to the Remote Panel. It booted up as I expected and the app connected as well. I have to figure out where to install the Remote Panel under the bed but now i can just use my phone to look at the Inverter / Charger Performance and Settings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4538.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	299891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4539.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	299892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4546.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	299893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4540.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	299894  
Old 05-17-2024, 08:58 AM   #4
Commercial Member

that remote might be a benefit. When I took the demo out it was in power save mode...laying on my back in the rain to change it, was not ideal.

Hope that is the case on the high voltage. Another thing we'll have to check before we ship.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:55 PM   #5

I spoke with Xantrex Support about the High Voltage Fault. The support guy didn't really have any answers. He said to leave it on shore power for 24 hours to condition the cells and see what happens since the coach is brand new.

When I looked at Battery A's cell voltage there is one cell that is 3.54V. It is higher than any other cell in Batt A or Batt B by about 0.05 - 0.1V. Not sure if that is what is tripping the High Voltage Fault or not.

Now Battery A is the battery that was down to 6 Volts and the cells were all in the low 2V range and would not wake up with the Recovery Mode when I started the PDI last month. Perhaps since the battery was at a critically low voltage for a length of time, the cells do need to get reconditioned via charging.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. If it continues to be an issue, I will open a case with Dynamax Support.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge64 View Post
I spoke with Xantrex Support about the High Voltage Fault. The support guy didn't really have any answers. He said to leave it on shore power for 24 hours to condition the cells and see what happens since the coach is brand new.

When I looked at Battery A's cell voltage there is one cell that is 3.54V. It is higher than any other cell in Batt A or Batt B by about 0.05 - 0.1V. Not sure if that is what is tripping the High Voltage Fault or not.

Now Battery A is the battery that was down to 6 Volts and the cells were all in the low 2V range and would not wake up with the Recovery Mode when I started the PDI last month. Perhaps since the battery was at a critically low voltage for a length of time, the cells do need to get reconditioned via charging.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. If it continues to be an issue, I will open a case with Dynamax Support.
We bought our Freedom Edition in October 2023. We experienced the high voltage fault one time in November. This also caused a high voltage fault for the refrigerator. Unfortunately I donít remember how I cleared the battery fault at that time but it has not reappeared. I will compare my current battery settings to yours posted to see if there are differences.
gandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 04:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl View Post
We bought our Freedom Edition in October 2023. We experienced the high voltage fault one time in November. This also caused a high voltage fault for the refrigerator. Unfortunately I don’t remember how I cleared the battery fault at that time but it has not reappeared. I will compare my current battery settings to yours posted to see if there are differences.

Thanks.....

The fault is easy enough to clear on the eGen Display and then the battery automatically is back online.

I am now 99% sure it is a Cell OverV Voltage issue causing the fault. The Firefly Display simply says High Voltage Fault, but the eGen Display says COV. The lightbulb in my head just went off...... COV = Cell Over Voltage

I just went out to check and it didn't throw a High Voltage Fault overnight but I do see a possible issue and the root cause of the Fault:

One of the cells on Batt A is consistently running 3.53 - 3.55 Volts. Most of the other cells are in the 3.3 Volt range.

The highest cell voltage on Batt B is 3.39V and most of the other cells are in the 3.3 Volt range.

If the high cell on Batt A does not settle down and it continues to throw the COV error, I may have to contact Xantrex and Dynamax about replacing the battery under warranty.

I am going to try shutting everything down the batteries this morning and recycling them to see if that does anything.

This is all the battery documentation has to say about it:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 5.35.57 AM.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	299928  
Old 05-18-2024, 09:32 AM   #8

Congratulations on the new coach! Thanks again for the suggestion on the Xantrex Remote Panel, I've already got mine on order. Hopefully you can get the high voltage issue resolved easily.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
Congratulations on the new coach! Thanks again for the suggestion on the Xantrex Remote Panel, I've already got mine on order. Hopefully you can get the high voltage issue resolved easily.
That Xantrex Bluetooth remote panel is the way to go for sure.

I'm hopeful the Cell Over Voltage issue may be resolving itself. I decided to power down the entire system using Brian's recently published document to see if it would help rebooting the system.

Once the system came back up online and started charging, Batt A eventually kicked out a Cell Over Voltage fault. Cell 7 in Batt A seems to be the problem child. It has been consistently running over 3.5V and eventually caused the High Voltage Fault on the Firefly and Cell Over Voltage Fault on the eGen Display.

I cleared the fault and went off to do some other things. When I came back later and looked at the cell voltages they all seemed more equalized. Now I think the battery was discharging or floating at this point and not in a charging state but this was encouraging.

Unfortunately, I had to shut everything down and catch a flight back to our home in Florida so it will be late June till I get back north for a the summer so I can spend some more time with the coach and also get it out a few times before we bring it back to Florida permanently later in September.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4559.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	300036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4582.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	300037  
Old 05-21-2024, 05:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
that remote might be a benefit. When I took the demo out it was in power save mode...laying on my back in the rain to change it, was not ideal.

Two suggestions for you on the remote panel from past experience with this Xantres Inverter and the Remote Display.

Option 1 - Xantrex offers a Remote Panel (non-Bluetooth) that is a little cheaper with a long data cable so you could mount the remote panel next to the eGen Display during the build.

Option 2 - Xantrex offers the Bluetooth Remote Panel that can also be mounted up by the eGen Display....... OR....... you could just mount it i the Battery Compartment or under the bed like I am going to do and owners can access everything from the app.

I haven't tried it but.... you may also be able to remove the stock control panel on the inverter and replace it with the Bluetooth Display. Then there aren't any cables to run or a Display to mount. You just use the app like the hidden Victron Solar Controller.

Changing settings is much easier on the app than the display for sure so that is why I went with the Bluetooth Display. Plus you can get a quick look at shore power and battry status on your phone.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:54 AM   #11
Commercial Member

For now, we just have the proper settings pre-programmed on the Xantrex.

Tags
freedom