Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #21
Commercial Member

I am asking those questions of the EE right now. My other question would be...if proper voltage is so important...then why not wire directly to the converter and not the batteries. It would force the user to have it plugged in or gen running to operate the slides...ensuring proper voltage. Maybe for some inconvenience we eliminate 75% of the problems.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #22

Some of it is not reading instructions or poor PDI. Some will look up proper operation of devices in our units. I was told by a company owner of rental rvs to only switch reefer from gas to auto after connected to AC power. Told me doing that saves control panels. Makes sense to me but was poo pooed here!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #23

When I plug into shore power, my volt readout goes to 14.2v. When I start the generator, it usually goes to like 13.7v. If the readout is showing that voltage, how could the slide be subject to low voltage. I know one time I forgot to start the generator and the slide control flashed low voltage when’s i started it, so it reminded me to stop and start the generator. I let it run a few minutes and the slide opened normally.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #24

That's what is being discussed. Just putting the slide out on bat power and getting codes. Not always is a bat fully charged and putting a load on it.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I am asking those questions of the EE right now. My other question would be...if proper voltage is so important...then why not wire directly to the converter and not the batteries. It would force the user to have it plugged in or gen running to operate the slides...ensuring proper voltage. Maybe for some inconvenience we eliminate 75% of the problems.
That is probably a very good idea but then I would have had to wire it back to the battery terminals as my Lithiums put out 13.5V all the way down to 20% SOC. Personally I was very impressed with the majority of the wiring that Dynamax installed with the only exception being needing more strap ties to secure it better under the chassis. All the splices and terminal connections were rock solid. I am very OCD about wiring after working as an Electrician on Naval Aircraft for 34 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Cable ID_Victron.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	176501  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #26

You guys keep discussing this because the more you talk the more I learn. This thread may save a lot of problems in the end so I think I should receive a free Dynamax rock guard as a good gesture and appreciation...

Just kidding but I wouldn't say no if it came with my coach Brian.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #27

Brian,

You mention converter, you actually use a converter and an inverter, how is that possible? A converter would be converting 120v to 12v as opposed to an inverter converting 12v to 120v.
Hsrvtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsrvtime View Post
Brian,

You mention converter, you actually use a converter and an inverter, how is that possible? A converter would be converting 120v to 12v as opposed to an inverter converting 12v to 120v.
That is correct on some RV's the power center has a 120V to 12V Converter Section to supply DC Volts to the Battery and all DC Circuits when you are connected to 120VAC whether its from Shore Power or the Generator. There is a separate Inverter to supply AC power when you are running just on Batteries. Some RV's use a Inverter/Charger that is a complete power system comprising of an inverter, battery charger and a transfer switch in one package.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Yes, what he said^^^ The slides are 12v. So instead of using the batteries as the power source, use the 12V output on the converter, so that when plugged in we have a nice steady supply. Not relying on the owners attention to battery maintenance.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #30

Is there a manual way to crank them in or something if the motor dies or not working?
calltrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:35 PM   #31

We had an issue of the slide not coming in on our last camping trip. Had to get a repair person out and found one of the motors had seized up. You would think there would be a manual way to bring the slide in but there isn't! He had to push and push to get it in enough so that we could drive it home. Thank goodness for our extended warranty!
RettaJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Yes, what he said^^^ The slides are 12v. So instead of using the batteries as the power source, use the 12V output on the converter, so that when plugged in we have a nice steady supply. Not relying on the owners attention to battery maintenance.

Can't rely on always being on shore power , and many units do not have generators .So being able to operate on battery power is essential. The answer is educate the owners on batteries and proper maintenance . can't blame the dealer or factory if someone can't get the slide open because their battery is dead . you really can't fix stupid or design around it
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #33

Joser

My repair guy said more than half of the slide repairs he does are due to operator error. Many times the slides are operated when something is interfering with the normal tracking. Most common being items or debris that made its way under couches, beds or dinettes.
Joser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser View Post
My repair guy said more than half of the slide repairs he does are due to operator error. Many times the slides are operated when something is interfering with the normal tracking. Most common being items or debris that made its way under couches, beds or dinettes.
I would say your guy must not do much work . 90% of slide problems are with the slide mechanisms themselves . doesn't matter which type you have it's mechanical it will break .
Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
. you really can't fix stupid or design around it
Easy Easy there trigger... I will fess up and say I will probably fall into that category the first few months of ownership when it arrives.. Thank goodness we have this website to tutor us stupid newbies along the learning curve..
Old 06-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Can't rely on always being on shore power , and many units do not have generators .So being able to operate on battery power is essential. The answer is educate the owners on batteries and proper maintenance . can't blame the dealer or factory if someone can't get the slide open because their battery is dead . you really can't fix stupid or design around it
Actually ALL of ours (Dynamax sub forum) have generators.

lol...I do agree that you cannot fix stupid. It does not stop anyone from blaming us or suing us regardless. That, I can guaranty.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
Easy Easy there trigger... I will fess up and say I will probably fall into that category the first few months of ownership when it arrives.. Thank goodness we have this website to tutor us stupid newbies along the learning curve..
wasn't talking anyone specific , just saying some people will never get it
Old 06-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #38

Quote:
wasn't talking anyone specific , just saying some people will never get it
I know bud... Just making jokes..But if it can be done wrong the first time, I will certainly be the one.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #39

Post #21 makes a lot of sense!!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #40

Quote:
The slides are getting smarter...which sort of makes them dumb.

Breakage happens. but a lot of the "not operating" is that most of these are using the slide controllers from Lippert now. It tries to protect you from doing major damage...and at the same time, creates potential slide operation issues as a result.

The bulk of what I see if someone tries to operate slides with low voltage. They come out, coach has been parked for a month. They open up the slides to get ready for a trip. The controller tries to operated under low voltage, it triggers a fault, shuts the slide down. It might show a motor issue (incorrectly), might show low voltage (correctly). But with low voltage, I don't think it is diagnosing the issues properly either.

If you let the coach charge up, gen or plugged in, in most cases you can clear the fault and move on. What most people do, is look at the codes that are supposed to diagnose these things and you get "slides stops not set" "or bad motor" and they panic. I also don't think Lippert has done a greta job in addressing these issues from an educational perspective. Manuals could be better in describing this. My best guess, is that more than half od these slide issues could be corrected without a visit to the dealer.

Our 2017 Force slide out would not completely come in so we were forced to remove controller pad and override sensors. The slide moved on in but the lights are still blinking showing a fault. Any way I can clear it myself? My dealer is a couple hours away.
ronandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide