Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #1

Onan QD8000 problems & repairs, informational post.

My 2010 Onan Quite Diesel 8HDKAK-1046M, with only 470 hours on it, would start & run normally but would then shut off in about 20 minutes, it got progressively shorter in run time to the point it would shut off as soon as a load was applied. The switch would flash a 3 blink code which means there is a Service Fault. You have to hold the switch down in the stop position to get the Service Fault code which was #11- overcurrent.
Parts & service manuals can be found online but I did not find much helpful information about repairing the code other than replace the inverter but I did find there is a repair service in Pa. that could repair the inverter as long as the problem is not a Onan proprietary part. Onan does not repair any inverter problems, only replace. WWW.FlightSystems.com was able to repair my inverter for a set fee of $900.00 vs. a new inverter from Onan at a cost of $2400.00 + shipping + tax!! Come to find out a new inverter was not available & Onan didn't know when it will be available!
Some things I learned along the way:
It seems there are a lot of issues with Onan's requiring repairs as told to me by the Cummins shop foreman & Flight Systems - I saw they had plenty of inverters there to repair. The Kobata engine seems bullit proof, just change the oil & filter every 150 hours.
Dirt/rocks are bad for your Onan. This Onan model is brushless but models with brushes have issues wearing brushes & contacts. The brushless models can damage the magnets or stator if rocks get in there. It was recommended by the Cummins foreman to NOT run your generator when driving due to dirt/stones getting sucked in & damaging the brushes or magnets, maybe install a furnace filter under the generator.
Some of the common issues with this model are failures of the oil pressure switch, fuel pump, stator/magnets & inverter. You cannot use a universal type fuel pump because there is a feedback circuit looking to be sure the pump is operational. The oil pressure switch can stick causing it to start & shut down or not even start. There is no oil level switch on this model.
Any repairing shop you go to needs the Cummins/Onan software & connectors (expensive) to access stored information which is usually only available at Cummins/Onan repair shops. There also may be updates needed that only Cummins/Onan can do.
Getting the generator out of the very tight compartment is a pain without a fork lift but I was able to make a lift hook & use a engine hoist. I also found a loose neutral connection only held by electric tape from the factory!
Hoping I don't need to do that job again!Click image for larger version

Name:	20210920_151846.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	267407Click image for larger version

Name:	20210920_121947.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	267408Click image for larger version

Name:	20210823_163548.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	267410

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I know there was a recall for Onan neutral issues. They bring in all the gen's and Pre-wire up the junction boxes for our specific use. It was later models...but it seems maybe it wasn't the first time.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #3

Just to clarify, this is in a 2011 Dynamax so pre Forest River.
The blue wire nut Ideal #454 is not to be used to connect 2 - #6 wires to 1 - #4 wire, the tape was what was holding it on! Upper connector is what I used. The coach side #4 neutral wire is not in the photo, so the #4 wire goes into the black connector now, the 2 white wires go to the generator terminals from the black connector. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210928_162503.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	267413

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, repair, repairs