Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2022, 12:16 PM   #1

Onan Quiet Diesel Oil Change interval!

I change my oil at 250 hours, but, get this...my friend just told me he has changed his at 800-1000 hours since he got the unit. 2001 Unit. 7,800 hours on the generator and running perfect still.

He is 100% remote when he goes out, so he will run it for a week at a time without turning it off. He said if he changed it at 250 hours he would have to change it every trip.

Just figured i would share this, so if your out on a trip and over your 250 hours, don't panic...Onan builds good equipment!

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
I change my oil at 250 hours, but, get this...my friend just told me he has changed his at 800-1000 hours since he got the unit. 2001 Unit. 7,800 hours on the generator and running perfect still.

He is 100% remote when he goes out, so he will run it for a week at a time without turning it off. He said if he changed it at 250 hours he would have to change it every trip.

Just figured i would share this, so if your out on a trip and over your 250 hours, don't panic...Onan builds good equipment!

--John
Same with my 2006 units on the Renegade. We change every six to 12 months depending on use. We will run one or both 24 hours for 4 to 6 days. We have 11000 hours on one and 15000 plus on the other. No issues other than fuel pressure sensor fail 2 years ago.

One of our customers has the same model on his boat with 20000 hours plus and does the same. All fluids every 12 months irrespective of hours.

Motors have changed since 2006 so it may be the current Kybota power units are not as robust as the original Cummins which may have been a rebadged Korean model.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post

--John
You did the right thing by changing at the manufacturer's schedule. At least you friend now changes on a regular schedule. As I understand it, the first change is to get rid of the oil it was shipped with.
At least as important as oil changes is starting those generators on the Onan schedule to keep the fuel fresh.

Tags
diesel, onan