Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #61

I can attest to the fact that the Hybrid Inverter with assist function will not make up for low voltage at campsite. In late May of this year we were camping in a smaller campground, with every site filled. I had just put the inverter in and this was the first trip after installing it. Mid afternoon, the camp voltage would drop to around 103 volts in the 30Amp only site we were in. The power protection in our MH would open up, or the inverter assist would kick in, for about 30-45 mins and the battery state of charge would drop, then the inverter would start the generator (which isn’t acceptable). Bottom line the assist function only benefits if the need is short term. If you have a ton of battery capacity, assist would maybe make a difference, but my experience was that it only delayed the inevitable. Also, the low voltage made the inverter run hot.. making things worse.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:42 PM   #62

Our electric utility offers a significant summer discount for having a switch that allows them to cycle our A/C power off for 15 mins at a time, then on for 15. They rarely ever use it to hold down power peaks, but when they do we can barely notice. By the time you might say “gee its getting warm,” the system kicks back in again. CGs could use (meaning they need) a system like this, but as now configured it would shut off all your electric not just your A/C. The CG could not build this in as the RV circuits would have to be split within the RV not within the pedestal.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #63

Upper middle class dilemma!
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:59 AM   #64

I've got a new 50 amp Hughes Autoformer available if interested for less than retail (b/c it's out of the box.) Message me if you decide to go that route and are interested. It does help avoid EMS low voltage shut downs.
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #65

Learning Power Supplies

I just returned from a weekend of 100 degree temperatures and we were dry camping. The coach was extremely hot as the generator could not provide the power needed to correctly operate the AC and anything beyond that kicked breakers.

In reading your post only validated my thoughts of I have the know what each thing does concerning amperage and what I need to watch for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
This last weekend was the first time I had to deal with persistent and climbing temperatures while plugged in at a camping site. The 50 amp power supply shut down about 5 pm when the ambient was about 88 deg. The Firefly lets you look at the voltages on each of the power legs and I observed that the voltage on Leg1 had dropped to 103 volts or thereabouts. The 50 amp breaker did not trip. I cycled the breaker and power was restored. It happened again about 4 hours later. I dropped the voltage drop out setting to 95 volts from 100 and it did not happen again.

Most of these camps were not built for the amperage demand that a full house of Class A/C campers with 2 HVACs, multiple TV/Sat/Consoles, Microwaves all drawing their amperages at these high(er) temps. The coaches at the end of the power circuit will get the lowest voltages and brown-out or cut off is probable.

I spoke to the camp site owner and he acknowledged this is a problem that the cost of remediation in his case was over $100K and not affordable even at higher site rates.

I guess the generator operating rules are going to have to change as I cannot see people volunteering to reduce their power demand in RV parks any more than they have done in their homes.
Harry_Opliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #66
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Opliger View Post
I just returned from a weekend of 100 degree temperatures and we were dry camping. The coach was extremely hot as the generator could not provide the power needed to correctly operate the AC and anything beyond that kicked breakers.

In reading your post only validated my thoughts of I have the know what each thing does concerning amperage and what I need to watch for.
Since an FR3 and a Georgetown use similar equipment, this post I recently made may be of help: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2578480

Ray
Old 06-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #67
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Opliger View Post

Harry, you validated my thoughts that I never want to camp in Texas!!! I don't know how you guys deal with such heat!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #68

We just got back from camping at a beachside RV resort just SW of Galveston. Temps were 100+ but luckily we didn't have any power issues. Quite a bit of water dripping off the side from the roof unit.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #69
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Harry, you validated my thoughts that I never want to camp in Texas!!! I don't know how you guys deal with such heat!
Texas didn't even make this article.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-valley/963033

Ray
Old 06-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #70

"...but it's a dry heat"
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I would be far more interested in a database with positive campground reviews. Ones with no issues. I feel like if you are looking for problems, you can find them. Better to reward good sites with positive praise.
X2!
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #72
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywater View Post
We just got back from camping at a beachside RV resort just SW of Galveston. Temps were 100+ but luckily we didn't have any power issues. Quite a bit of water dripping off the side from the roof unit.
Sign of a healthy AC. South TX received a lot of FEMA and State of Emergency Aid from Hurricane Harvey damage which some CG owners used to bring their infrastructure to Code and into the 21st Century.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I would be far more interested in a database with positive campground reviews. Ones with no issues. I feel like if you are looking for problems, you can find them. Better to reward good sites with positive praise.
100% this!!

'21 Dynamax Force HD 37BH
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #74
Trailer Park Supervisor

My intention of suggesting a database that lists water quality or electricity quality is to quickly eliminate sites that don't meet your needs. There are enough sites out there that you can read positive reviews. I just want to know if the water is going to smell like rotten eggs, or if my A/C is going to continually shut down on a hot day.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
RV hot water heater on 110-120v will consume 1100 watts or 9 -10 amp.

Those may be some very old numbers. For years now Suburban has been installing 1440 watt electric heating elements and I think Atwood/Dometic uses a 1400 watt one. So that is 12 amps with 1440 watts or almost near that with a 1400 watt element.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 12-27-29 WH_Service and Training Manual 11-1 pdf.png
Views:	50
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	257373  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #76

The other consequence is the sort of people who are now "RVing". We stayed at a campground up north a weekend ago and next to us parked a well used RV. The occupants were the young party types in their early 20's. No etiquette whatsoever. Loud, playing their idiot music loud enough that we could hear the bass inside our trailer. If it was decent music, not a problem, but it was that pop crap that repeats one line with canned background. I appreciate good music, that crap is NOT music. But Wait, theres MORE! Silent time starts at 10:30. Well, they were pretty quiet starting at 10. Then at around 10:40, one of the group had come back with their truck and a 4th person they snuck in, parked the truck with the lights shining right on another trailer lighting up the entire side, and left them on for a good 20 minutes. All the while talking loud and making racket. Thankfully they left right after that, and there was peace and quiet once more.

I hope these types learn some respect for others when out camping. Theres a fine line between having a good time, and causing others grief. Oh, and they left with a camp fire burning while there is a moderate fire warning in the area.