Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #81

Tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
Curious. If the electronic performance component can be switched out for the stock unit I'm assuming in a matter of minutes, why did it have to be taken to a tuner rather than just purchasing the unit as a plug and play. also, can you give a ballpark on the cost of the unit?
Thanks
Tuner has to upgrade ECU to. Accept switch. Some units had to be sent toRenntech later models 2010-2020 can be programmed via OBD port. Cost for switch$1460.00 installation $75.00 plus tax. Hope this helps.
Mark D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
Tuner has to upgrade ECU to. Accept switch. Some units had to be sent toRenntech later models 2010-2020 can be programmed via OBD port. Cost for switch$1460.00 installation $75.00 plus tax. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Once you get a chance to use it especially in the mountains can you please let us know what your thoughts are with the performance gains
Thanks
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #83

I have already used RV as I live at altitude. Power difference is huge. I blew by a 450 Econoline RV on a climb 2 days ago. You don’t use all the power all the time but it’s there when needed. Not sure of mpg yet but looks good. Love it.
Mark D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Once you get a chance to use it especially in the mountains can you please let us know what your thoughts are with the performance gains
Thanks
I just returned from a 4,500 mile trip to Colorado and New Mexico after installing the RENNtech ECU upgrade on my 2017 Isata 3 24RW built on a 2016 MBS chassis. On their website RENNtech states HP & Torque dyno figures they ran on a stock engine at 188/294 and with the ECU upgrade of 258/398. I tow a Kia Soul with my Isata and from a seat of the pants feel going through the mountains it downshifts less when climbing mountain passes and pulls away from stop signs and traffic lights with ease. Last year on a 7,000 mile trip through the Pacific NW towing the Soul without the upgrade I averaged 13.3mpg and this year with the upgrade I averaged 13.6mpg. I paid $1200 for the handheld ECU tuner and it took less than 5 minutes to plug it into the OBD port to make the upgrade. I can switch it back just as easily at any time. The additional HP & Torque make driving more enjoyable and less tiring. Agreed $1,200 isn't cheap, but gains in HP & Torque rarely are. I think it was money well spent.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade