Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Our new isata 5

We picked up our new isata 5 yesterday and drove it from Piqua, Ohio, to Maggie Valley, North Carolina. I thought I would post a first impression report.

There were several changes from the brochure that I was not anticipating. The first thing I noticed when I climbed into the cab was a rear view camera mounted to the mirror. It does allow for full time viewing. I noticed four coach batteries rather than two. I learned that even though this unit is not a 4x4 it only has the single 52 gallon fuel tank. The smaller tank was eliminated to boost the ccc. I was initially excited about the large fuel capacity but it would appear not to be a problem since we drove all the way home and had almost a quarter tank of fuel left.

We averaged a computed 11.2 mpg for the whole trip. I was pleased with this. We were not towing, the air was cool and dry, and I was driving between 60 and 65 which added to the fuel efficiency. On the other hand, most of the trip was through mountains. It remains to be seen what the mileage will be when we hook up the Wrangler.

We upgraded from a Forest River Forester on the Mercedes chassis. We put 9,500 miles on it in 9 months and it served us well. We enjoyed every minute we spent in it but the isata 5 is a huge upgrade for us. The way it drives and handles I almost forgot I was driving a motorhome until I looked in the side mirror and realized there was 30 or so feet behind me. Fit and finish and features are what you would expect with the move up but still surprising when you compare the price against the Forester. The Cummins engine has been written about in other posts so no need to go into depth but suffice it to say there is plenty of power there. Our first night the temperature dropped to 28 degrees and we were very comfortable. The lp gas still registered full the next morning.

So far the coach has exceeded our expectations. A few small issues but most were fixed by the dealership before we left. We only stopped once on the way home but had two people comment on the looks. Looking forward to heading back to Florida to pick up the Jeep then on to California.
BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
We picked up our new isata 5 yesterday and drove it from Piqua, Ohio, to Maggie Valley, North Carolina. I thought I would post a first impression report.

There were several changes from the brochure that I was not anticipating. The first thing I noticed when I climbed into the cab was a rear view camera mounted to the mirror. It does allow for full time viewing. I noticed four coach batteries rather than two. I learned that even though this unit is not a 4x4 it only has the single 52 gallon fuel tank. The smaller tank was eliminated to boost the ccc. I was initially excited about the large fuel capacity but it would appear not to be a problem since we drove all the way home and had almost a quarter tank of fuel left.

We averaged a computed 11.2 mpg for the whole trip. I was pleased with this. We were not towing, the air was cool and dry, and I was driving between 60 and 65 which added to the fuel efficiency. On the other hand, most of the trip was through mountains. It remains to be seen what the mileage will be when we hook up the Wrangler.

We upgraded from a Forest River Forester on the Mercedes chassis. We put 9,500 miles on it in 9 months and it served us well. We enjoyed every minute we spent in it but the isata 5 is a huge upgrade for us. The way it drives and handles I almost forgot I was driving a motorhome until I looked in the side mirror and realized there was 30 or so feet behind me. Fit and finish and features are what you would expect with the move up but still surprising when you compare the price against the Forester. The Cummins engine has been written about in other posts so no need to go into depth but suffice it to say there is plenty of power there. Our first night the temperature dropped to 28 degrees and we were very comfortable. The lp gas still registered full the next morning.

So far the coach has exceeded our expectations. A few small issues but most were fixed by the dealership before we left. We only stopped once on the way home but had two people comment on the looks. Looking forward to heading back to Florida to pick up the Jeep then on to California.
Maggie Valley? Are you a NC resident? I think we were the first Isata 5 owners in NC. I know of one more on this forum from NC and you would be the 3rd I know about.

Congrats on the purchase, I hope you'll love it as much as we do. If you are an NC resident, the good thing is that Carolina Coach and Marine is a dealer and are located here in Hickory if you do need service.

Safe travels and enjoy your new ride.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

Our new isata 5

Congrats from NC also and hope to be joining you as an Isata 5 owner later this year. So far everything we are hearing is generally great about the 5. There is not much out there like it.

Enjoy your new coach!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #5

Not a NC resident but we spend almost half the year up here. It a better launching point for the places we like to travel to in the summer. Good to know about Carolina Coach. I would have liked to have bought it closer to our house up here or in Florida but I found almost exactly what I was looking for in Piqua, Ohio and I didn't want to wait. Leaving for California the first of April.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

Congrats on your new camper!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Congratulations on your new Isata 5 and welcome to the Dynamax family! I would like to post your initial review on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DynamaxMotorhomes/) with your permission. It would be completely anonymous of course!
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
zgipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #8

...The first thing I noticed when I climbed into the cab was a rear view camera mounted to the mirror. It does allow for full time viewing

I wish mine had that, i'm working hard to find that exact solution right now. If it wasn't for the 15,000 miles i've put on mine since I got in last July, I should have waited for the 2nd year roll out with all the new and improved things from the first year.

Still wouldn't trade it for anything on the road today - well except for a DX3 or Dynaquest XL
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #9

Congrats on your new coach. Sounds great. Is it a 2017 or 2018 model year? Thanks.
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #10

2017 model year.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #11

one of several rear view camera solutions

I purchased a Reolink web camera. Though I suspect any/many others would work as well. It did require the install of a router also. I then placed this camera in the rear window and an iPad for viewing while driving. The router is not used for anything else. Though one could also have a cellular modem connected. If one wished for it.

PS. My propane tank's solenoid is hot... too hot to touch. I installed an on/off switch so that I can disable it when desired. Do others have solenoids that are so hot that their fingers would be burned if they held on for more than a few seconds?

Enjoy your new coach. I have no doubt that you will be very pleased.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinthekeys View Post
I purchased a Reolink web camera. Though I suspect any/many others would work as well. It did require the install of a router also. I then placed this camera in the rear window and an iPad for viewing while driving. The router is not used for anything else. Though one could also have a cellular modem connected. If one wished for it.

PS. My propane tank's solenoid is hot... too hot to touch. I installed an on/off switch so that I can disable it when desired. Do others have solenoids that are so hot that their fingers would be burned if they held on for more than a few seconds?

Enjoy your new coach. I have no doubt that you will be very pleased.
Does your 5 have one or two fuel fill ports since you have a single tank?
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #13

Only have one fuel port.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #14

Do you have the 36DS? If so, how many seat belts are there? I've seen online 5 in one place and 6 in another.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Should be 5. One in forward facing dinette, two in sofa, driver/passenger.

We will look at two in the dinette going forward, but we will only put one in the rear facing if there is a wall behind that seat.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote