Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #1

Outside TV HDMI

Just got my new DX3 and my inside TV's work great through the matrix, however my outside TV shows no inputs available. I took the TV off the wall and there is no HDMI cable going to it, only 1 yellow RCA cable, the inside tvs have an HDMI. Is the outside supposed to have one and if so how do I route it from the matrix box?
duneviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

Yes, it should. Look in the cavity behind the TV and see if the HDMI cable is laying in there. May just not have gotten plugged in.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneviper View Post
Just got my new DX3 and my inside TV's work great through the matrix, however my outside TV shows no inputs available. I took the TV off the wall and there is no HDMI cable going to it, only 1 yellow RCA cable, the inside tvs have an HDMI. Is the outside supposed to have one and if so how do I route it from the matrix box?
Having the floorpan info model would be helpfull. Anyway, On a 37TS you can get to the internal wiring for the outside TV behind the kitchen drawers. May want to check in there. Some of the newer units have CAT6 converted hdmi. Make sure the converter has power if that is the case.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #4

Sorry, it is a 2021 37RB. I looked in the cavity behind it and do not see it.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #5

Are there 3 HDMI cables coming out of the matrix?
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #6

I have a 2019 37RB. Yes, there should be an HDMI cable fed to the TV. You may need to remove the speakers and look around for a loose HDMI cable. The yellow RCA cable you see is the video feed from the stereo/DVD player. This is the composite video feed if you decide to use the Stereo to play a DVD outside. If your 2021 is like my 2019, there may also be a large rectangular hole where you can look into the back of the frame to search for the cable without removing the speakers. However, the speakers are easy to remove and mean old mr gravity will likely have it laying on the floor. Of course there is a chance the factory didn't get that HDMI cable installed. I think that is a low probability since the cable harnesses are likely subassemblies and not individual cables when they are installed. I'm sure BC could also offer some advise.

Btw, would have been good to check this feature out during your PDI. I can understand if you didn't. Lots of stuff to check.

Cheers,
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #7

Found it, took the tv off and looked beneath the sink. Had the wife use her tiny hands to reach way back in there and find it, all works now. Question to hook up a satellite box, which coax do I use there are 3 in the cabinet 1 blue and 2 black.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #8

Yes
Old 09-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Should be some marking on them....1-2 or M-2. (main-secondary). Not sure why there is a 3rd one.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #10

I have three as well. They were not marked. Used trial and error to see which ones worked with the Sat receiver (s). I have use two Wally (DISH) receivers. Have no clue what the third one supports. I figure it could be tied to the cable in outside port in case you need a digital receiver to get the cable feed. I never use the park cable so haven't tried it.

Cheers,
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 09-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Sorry. Nevermind, I do know what the 3rd one is for.

Some people complained that the new portable dishes (carry out) can’t get power from the receiver unless there is a direct connection. So the blue one is likely a homerun from the utility compartment. So there is a “cable” port and now a dedicated “sat” port.

So that was a pretty new change for the 0.2% of the people that felt like we were misleading when the default connection said “cable/sat”

Old 09-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #12

Thanks BC. Good to know. Much appreciated.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 09-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #13

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #14
Norwood Auto Italia

Along the same lines as this thread - I have run a portable monitor through the 3 HDMI cables and found that only the one going to the rear bedroom works. IOW no signal from either the outside hdmi socket or signal being received by the front tv. Plugging the same signal generator into hdmi 1 of the tv produces a positive result. So it seems that both the cables to the front and external sockets are faulty.

Unless there is another test I should run: can these cables be replaced without a cabinet maker to remove the upper cabinets through which they run?

I also wonder why/how these coaches get out of the factory without a functionality test on stuff like this? Quite easy to build a harness with a signal generator from a portable Satellite feed into the Matrix and check the output at the 3 sites - would take 5 minutes, prove functionality of the entire system. Dealer had the TVs on and tuned to a local station set but could not provide equipment to check the Satellite comms.

Satellite antenna just churns away ad infinitum and cannot ID any satellite - but that's a subject for another thread.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Are you plugging in END to END on the cable???? There should be an HDMI matrix and it needs to be powered up. Then the setting need to be set properly for it to send the required signal.

Otherwise, you would need to UNPLUG the HDMI from the back of the matrix to trace.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #16
Commercial Member

PS. Due to the confusion surrounding the HDMI matrix, I did a video just on its operation.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #17
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
PS. Due to the confusion surrounding the HDMI matrix, I did a video just on its operation.

I know you made that video and I watched it twice. I have used similar matrices in my office and on aircraft for many years so no surprises there.

So here is the status.
Matrix is working and sat dish is receiving and piped form a Wally via matrix output C to hdmi 1 input on the bedroom tv using hdmi cable C (My lettering as none are marked).

The front tv cannot receive anything over the matrix on inputs hdmi 1, 2 or 3 using matrix outputs A or B. The TV does receive a hdmi test signal plugged directly into its hdmi 1, 2, or 3 inputs with no problems. So the difficulty seems to be that the hdmi cable from matrix Output A or B, still do not know which, is not being carried to the TV. When I plug the same signal generator directly into both hdmi cable A or B, neither produces a response from the TV which remains connected at hdmi 1. I did try hdmi 2 on the TV JIC and despite verifying that all 3 worked with a direct input from the signal.

I am borrowing an hdmi test set from my office IT guys this weekend to be absolutely sure there is no signal going down either of those cables. They (BTW) tell me that on a number of installs they have worked on, the guys ran out of long cables and so used an interconnect module to join 2. Only problem was that with all the jostling and pulling that goes on in any install, they tend to unplug themselves. So perhaps...short cuts, no parts etc?

Anything else I could try?
Old 02-27-2021, 05:26 PM   #18
Norwood Auto Italia

Ran the test set this weekend and the cable is dead! I have the Wally playing on the rear TV and with an HDMI cable strung from HDMI2 on the front TV to Output B on the Matrix, it works correctly. With the bad cable plugged into Output C or D, nothing is visible when Input HDMI 1 is selected on the TV or HDMI 3 if the bad cable is moved to HDMI 3 input.

So what can I do from here? The holes drilled in the cabinets do not look big enough with the existing wiring to persuade the bad cable to leave and a new one to follow. I do not have the cabinetry experience to remove the cabinets and feel really uncomfortable trusting that to a repair shop other than one of the custom outfits that builds spec RVs. The nearest is about 6 hours and they are very popular. Take it back to the factory - its only 18 hours non stop!

Or go wireless? Problem with that is channel contamination in both the 2.5 and 5 ghz bands. With the Wineguard Connect, cell phones and my Sat phone, I get a sense that the TX/RX of these devices will be marginal - any experience out there?
Old 03-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #19
Commercial Member

One of the things we are exploring is HDMI over CAT6 (form smaller size, reparability, flexibility and positive latching). If an HDMI cable is damaged (and sometimes it is simply force at the end of the plug) there is no good way to repair it. This does happen and I know Demartini has had great success just running wireless HDMI. I'm sure there are other dealers who have had the same, but they are the only ones I have personally spoken with about them. You can reach out to your service rep for suggestions.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #20
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
One of the things we are exploring is HDMI over CAT6 (form smaller size, reparability, flexibility and positive latching). If an HDMI cable is damaged (and sometimes it is simply force at the end of the plug) there is no good way to repair it. This does happen and I know Demartini has had great success just running wireless HDMI. I'm sure there are other dealers who have had the same, but they are the only ones I have personally spoken with about them. You can reach out to your service rep for suggestions.
I am familiar with Cat 6 video and sound interface with HDMI input/output and used it for a while with a non-Smart TV that had no wireless interface so that we could watch in-car video play back from a laptop. However my biggest challenge is getting the wiring from the cupboard on top of the Microwave to the exit hole on the other side of the door. It may be possible to cut the hdmi plug off the failed cable and tie a Cat 6 cable to the remaining cable. The drag the combines wire back through its conduit so that the Cat 6 emerges at the other end. But if the tie/join snags or lets go - thats all she wrote!

So will try the wireless route first.