Old 03-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #21
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
No, it's the borax that makes things slide easier. If you're putting in fabric softener, it's a) not making things slide and b) could very well be preventing the borax from making things slide.

And maybe c) contributing to your odor issue.

Have you any proof of these things you claim?

And, I never said I have an odor issue, because I don't.

Like I said, I've been using this for 2 years almost, and it works... but you say it doesn't. And you haven't tried it.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS, pushing a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison 1000

BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Have you any proof of these things you claim?

And, I never said I have an odor issue, because I don't.

Like I said, I've been using this for 2 years almost, and it works... but you say it doesn't. And you haven't tried it.
I never said it doesn't work. I said it MAY contributing to your problem.

Lots of threads here about the difference.

But suit yourself.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #23

If you got odors you have some issue. Best not to cover it up. Fix it. There are a million threads on this forum for things to try. Trust me, no one would camp if they smelled sewage.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Has anyone suggested that you check your under-sink vents? Under the kitchen and lavatory sinks (and maybe by the laundry) there will be a small air-admittance valve. It looks like a cylindrical pipe fitting like a tall pipe cap with a vent on the top. It is a check valve which (when working correctly) lets air into the pipe but never lets air out.

Without that valve, water flow would siphon the traps dry. It should only open when water is flowing through the relevant drain pipe. It is not unusual for these valves to stick in either position. If it sticks open fumes from the gray tank will come out of the vent. If it sticks closed, the trap will be sucked dry and fumes will come out of the drain.

Here are some samples.

I will check it out!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
I will check it out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2380.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	225757

Here it is but it does not seem Serviceable or removable - I await thoughts o. How to “ check”
Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #26
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
I never said it doesn't work. I said it MAY contributing to your problem.

Lots of threads here about the difference.

But suit yourself.

What problem? Never said I had a problem. I offered up a solution.

Perhaps you are confusing me with the OP??

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS, pushing a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison 1000

Old 03-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
What problem? Never said I had a problem. I offered up a solution.

Perhaps you are confusing me with the OP??
Yes, I am. My apologies.

But you STILL don't need fabric softener. Your wasting your money.

It's the Borax that is making things slippy-slidey.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #28
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
Yes, I am. But you STILL don't need fabric softener. Your wasting your money.

Yeah, you're right. I guess a jug of cheap store brand fabric softener that helps keep things clean, smells good, and only cost $2.50 or whatever and has lasted for going on the 3rd camping season really and truly is pretty spendy. You're right, there just is no way to justify that nonsense.

I'd probably be better off selling that jug on facebook and then taking that money and using it to put nitrogen in my tires.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #29

I guess if you've got it, flaunt it.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:17 PM   #30
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
I guess if you've got it, flaunt it.

I think you're just jealous.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:07 AM   #31

BriaBeck, I used a similar method for years also. I have switched to some little orange tide pod looking things I found somewhere that work well (Can't remember the name at the moment and I'm still winterized so can't go look yet). Used the cheapest liquid FABRIC softener and cheapest power laundry detergent I could find, about a cup full of each along with about 2 gallons of water and a table spoon of DAWN dish soap, sloshed around and poured down the toilet every time the black tank was emptied. About 8 years of that method and never had an oder in the camper other than when I'd forget to turn the bath vent fan off before flushing

We are very careful about no food scraps in the gray tank as we use paper plates most of the time and anything that isn't paper, gets wiped out with a paper towel before being washed so food seldom gets into the gray tank. We do end up with plenty of DAWN in the gray tank and I again, have not had odor issues there either.

So GEO, Modified-GEO and Barely even related to GEO methods work in different situations for different people. And thats all thats really important. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Old 03-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
FWIW, I have an Ozone Generator designed to remove odors caused by mold. mildew, fire damage, smokers, etc. Huge letters on the machine warning that it's for use in unoccupied spaces ONLY. Ozone in sufficient concentration can be deadly. Also, it's highly corrosive to many materials like rubber and acrylics.

NOT recommended for odor control in a holding tank when so many other safer methods are available.
Mike is right.

I, too, have an ozone generator designed for commercial use and I only use it if I absolutely have to. The odor it produces is indescribable, but it isn’t what I would really consider offensive. Depending on what type of space you are using it in and what types of materials are in that space, the odor can remain for anywhere from an hour to a couple of days. I think I would rather smell a little black tank odor or the perfume of a tank treatment than I would the lingering odor of ozone.

Here is a link to an OSHA representative’s opinion on ozone generators: https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stand...ons/1995-04-03

For those who don’t like to click on links, here is a cut and paste of the same:

April 3, 1995

Mr. Exley E. Wical
1050 Forest Drive
Tavares, Florida 32778

Dear Mr. Wical:

This letter is in response to your questioning the use of ozone gas from ozone generators in a large room where 225 to 250 senior citizens play bingo. While ozone is occasionally suggested as a room air additive to freshen the air, we would not recommend the practice unless strictly controlled.

Ozone at concentrations above 0.05 parts per million (ppm) is associated with respiratory and other health related problems. Exposures to ozone above this level can result in headaches, throat and nasal dryness, bronchitis, decreased pulmonary function capacity, and other respiratory ailments. With a population of senior citizens, many of which may already have decreased pulmonary function, adding ozone may compound their problem. If ozone were to be added to the room, the levels would have to be kept well below 0.05 ppm to assure an adequate safety margin.

Most indoor air problems are associated with an inadequate supply of fresh outside air. The fact that you are bringing in 25% fresh air through the air conditioning system should be sufficient.

You indicated that people smoke in the room, this will of course compound any indoor air problems. The electrostatic filters will help, but realistically, smoking should not be allowed. By further increasing the percent of fresh air intake one will improve the air quality. As a quick check on the quality of the air one can look at the level of carbon dioxide. As the population inside a building increases the level of carbon dioxide will also increase. Ambient carbon dioxide levels generally run between 250 and 400 ppm. If the carbon dioxide level inside a building is above 700 ppm it is generally considered indicative of poor indoor air quality. This check should be done towards the end of the period when the room has been fully occupied. Increasing the fresh air intake is the usual recommendation if a carbon dioxide problem is found.

I hope that this information answers your question. If you have any further questions please contact Richard Fairfax of my staff at (202) 219-8036.

Sincerely yours,

Ruth McCully, Director
Office of Health Compliance Assistance Exley E. Wical
1050 Forest Drive
Tavares, Florida 32778

March 21, 1995

(I am Building Chairman for)
(the Lake County Shrine Club)
(Tavares, Florida)

Ms. Ruth McCully
OSHA Room N 3467
200 Constitution Avenue N.W.
Washington D.C. 20010

Dear Ms. McCully;

This letter is in confirmation of my telephone conversation today with Mr. Richard Fairfax.

I explained to him my concern about adding ozone gas, by use of ozone generators, to the air in a large room where 225 to 250 Senior Citizens play bingo; their average age is over 65 yrs. (We do not now add ozone gas to the air in this room.)

Please write a letter to me explaining why it is not advisable to add ozone gas to the air in our room.

We now add 25% fresh air through air conditioning system which gives us a complete fresh air change 4 times per hour, we also have 7 electrostatic air filters which filter the air 10.4 times per hour.

Any suggestions you may have to improve the quality of air in the above situation will be appreciated. Smoke is a problem.

Sincerely,

Exley E. Wical

Bruce
Old 03-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #33

So the odor is from the grey tank?? I just use these in the black https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Ultra-C...s%2C156&sr=8-5 maybe I am not understanding where the smell is originating .... I suspect many campers do not prep there black tank after dumping before they drive home couple gallons of water and 1 tablet can do a lot of splashing and cleaning on the ride home .... so who adds to there grey tanks before your drive home ... trying to understand I have never added anything to my grey tanks and have no odor ... thanks
Frank & Cindy---S Class Solitude 2930RL (SOB)---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed 12,300 GVWR --- 6000 front axle--- 7000 rear axle--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 14 days Camping
frank4711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
So the odor is from the grey tank?? I just use these in the black https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Ultra-C...s%2C156&sr=8-5 maybe I am not understanding where the smell is originating .... I suspect many campers do not prep there black tank after dumping before they drive home couple gallons of water and 1 tablet can do a lot of splashing and cleaning on the ride home .... so who adds to there grey tanks before your drive home ... trying to understand I have never added anything to my grey tanks and have no odor ... thanks

You do realize ozone generators were run in every restaurant and bar that had smoking that the owners wanted to get rid of the smoke smell - so as little as ten years ago everyone was in its presence - I am abandoning my own thread as I have decided that this is not feasible now and the trolls have arrived and hijacked this thread from its intended purpose - also the rubber seal issue is what will make me not pursue as this is completely valid

Take care bye!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #35

Quote:
You do realize ozone generators were run in every restaurant and bar that had smoking that the owners wanted to get rid of the smoke smell - so as little as ten years ago everyone was in its presence - I am abandoning my own thread as I have decided that this is not feasible now and the trolls have arrived and hijacked this thread from its intended purpose - also the rubber seal issue is what will make me not pursue as this is completely valid

Take care bye!
Joe ... not sure why you quoted me I am no troll just asking questions trying to understand .... I have a ozone machine that I useed to clean a room when we had bouts of Flu/colds when the kids were home do not know if it helped but it did remove any odors ... best of luck in a search for you solution ....
Frank & Cindy---S Class Solitude 2930RL (SOB)---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed 12,300 GVWR --- 6000 front axle--- 7000 rear axle--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 14 days Camping
frank4711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #36

Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
BriaBeck, I used a similar method for years also. I have switched to some little orange tide pod looking things I found somewhere that work well (Can't remember the name at the moment and I'm still winterized so can't go look yet). Used the cheapest liquid FABRIC softener and cheapest power laundry detergent I could find, about a cup full of each along with about 2 gallons of water and a table spoon of DAWN dish soap, sloshed around and poured down the toilet every time the black tank was emptied. About 8 years of that method and never had an oder in the camper other than when I'd forget to turn the bath vent fan off before flushing

We are very careful about no food scraps in the gray tank as we use paper plates most of the time and anything that isn't paper, gets wiped out with a paper towel before being washed so food seldom gets into the gray tank. We do end up with plenty of DAWN in the gray tank and I again, have not had odor issues there either.

So GEO, Modified-GEO and Barely even related to GEO methods work in different situations for different people. And thats all thats really important. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
If folks are going to put all these exotic chemicals in their tanks, please don't come to our campground. Maybe never even go to the same place twice. A couple of times a year we get notices because someone has dumped tanks that killed the biome of the septic tank. Don't be that guy.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #37
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
If folks are going to put all these exotic chemicals in their tanks, please don't come to our campground. Maybe never even go to the same place twice. A couple of times a year we get notices because someone has dumped tanks that killed the biome of the septic tank. Don't be that guy.

OH GOOD NIGHT IN HEAVEN!!! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING? HOW REDICULOUS IS THIS STATEMENT!!

The same stuff that goes in your washing machine with nary a concern is now "exotic chemicals"...

I guess whatever works in your version of reality...

Old 03-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #38

It should unscrew

Quote:
Attachment 225757

Here it is but it does not seem Serviceable or removable - I await thoughts o. How to “ check”
JPheifer, it should unscrew. See the images below. If you suspect that the odor may be coming from the valve, you could cover it with a plastic bag and rubber band. The drains will gurgle, but if that stops the odor, you will have identified the source.

These images represent products from Lowe's, Walmart, and other sources. They are readily available and inexpensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa4.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	225766  
Attached Images

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #39

I don't think he is kidding at all. even in home applications what you put down the drain to a septic tank can have drastic effects on its operation including chemicals used in washing machines.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #40
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I don't think he is kidding at all. even in home applications what you put down the drain to a septic tank can have drastic effects on its operation including chemicals used in washing machines.
I know he wasn't kidding... that's what's scary. I've had a septic tank for my last 50 laps around the sun... so don't try to school me on how to take care of a septic tank, especially if you're hooked up to city sewer. The amount of these "exotic chemicals" in one black tank "batch" using regular or modified GEO method is no more than what would be in 1 load of laundry. Think about it.

Come on you guys, get a grip on reality... you've been cooped up too long... at least go outside and get some oxygen. I think your CO2 levels are getting elevated.

Tags
tank