Old 03-25-2020, 04:37 AM   #1

Ozone In Holding tank or tanks -

I was thinking how could I get a small 1 inch ozone diffuser into the air void in my grey holding tank - and perhaps the black and rum it daily - would it eliminate odors - seems like it would - has anybody ever done or heard of something like this - I am a deal about odor and since I seem to have a lot of time on my hands right now I thought I would contemplate a solution any POSITIVE THOUGHTS ARE appreciated-( if you’re a troll - stay away)

Old 03-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
Head Rambler

If you're really a stickler about odors, you're not going to like the odor an ozone generator large enough to negate the odors in a grey and/or black tank is going to emit into the air.

However, if you want to try it, you're going to need a fairly large ozone generator. Also keep in mind that ozone is an environmental pollutant and you'll be dispersing some of it in the air through the vent stack(s).

I'm not trying to discourage you, but just be aware of the issues.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #3

Haven't heard of anything like that . but anything is possible. for my grey tanks twice a yr i fill and then a cup of bleach . it will not harm the seals when only done once or twice a yr and disinfects the tanks . if done regularly then you may have issues after awhile .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #4

Have not heard of anyone doing this it may work. If you are getting odor into your rig I think the first step I would take is to ensure the installed vents and traps are working correctly. Traps are holding water, toilet has water seal roof vent is free and clear. check into the cyclone vent I used it on my Class A with great results.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

Try a enzyme type treatment. I use Hammerhead by Corrosion Technology makers of Rejex paint protectant. Do not use any chemicals with it. After draining tanks I put about 2 gallons of water in the tank then 2 oz. Of Hammerhead. I have used on MH and now on a travel trailer. No odors that I can detect.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #6

Not sure I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you're really a stickler about odors, you're not going to like the odor an ozone generator large enough to negate the odors in a grey and/or black tank is going to emit into the air.

However, if you want to try it, you're going to need a fairly large ozone generator. Also keep in mind that ozone is an environmental pollutant and you'll be dispersing some of it in the air through the vent stack(s).

I'm not trying to discourage you, but just be aware of the issues.
That was my first thought, too. But then I realized that the tank is isolated from the cabin by traps on all the drain. The only exit should be the roof vent, right?

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Great thoughts everyone - appreciate all the thoughts so far - I have used. OzOne in other applications for years - the minor odor is very nonexistent - my wife says I have a dogs nose - I’m still hoping for thoughts on the ozone - I do several of the protocols people have suggested - I think some of it is that we do a lot of laundry - about a load a day so we have a lot of tank turnover - I look forward to more positive thoughts and appreciate the spirt of everyone’s replies!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Have you tried "The GEO Method" (google it) for maintaining your black tank? Lots simpler than ozone generators and such.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS, pushing a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison 1000

BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #9

Just drop a couple Arm&Hammer Oxy-clean plus laundry detergent packs down the toilet with a gallon of water each time you head out with an empty tank and after each dump during a trip. They have enzymes, oxy cleaner, water softener, and odor neutralizer in the formula ... Basically the "GEO Method" pre-packaged and easier to manage.
Orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #10

Undersink vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
Great thoughts everyone - appreciate all the thoughts so far - I have used. OzOne in other applications for years - the minor odor is very nonexistent - my wife says I have a dogs nose - I’m still hoping for thoughts on the ozone - I do several of the protocols people have suggested - I think some of it is that we do a lot of laundry - about a load a day so we have a lot of tank turnover - I look forward to more positive thoughts and appreciate the spirt of everyone’s replies!
Has anyone suggested that you check your under-sink vents? Under the kitchen and lavatory sinks (and maybe by the laundry) there will be a small air-admittance valve. It looks like a cylindrical pipe fitting like a tall pipe cap with a vent on the top. It is a check valve which (when working correctly) lets air into the pipe but never lets air out.

Without that valve, water flow would siphon the traps dry. It should only open when water is flowing through the relevant drain pipe. It is not unusual for these valves to stick in either position. If it sticks open fumes from the gray tank will come out of the vent. If it sticks closed, the trap will be sucked dry and fumes will come out of the drain.

Here are some samples.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
- I think some of it is that we do a lot of laundry - about a load a day so we have a lot of tank turnover - I look forward to more positive thoughts and appreciate the spirt of everyone’s replies!
Here's another off the wall thought....

Have you checked the washing machine? Lots of places that odor can grow in there.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #12
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
Just drop a couple Arm&Hammer Oxy-clean plus laundry detergent packs down the toilet with a gallon of water each time you head out with an empty tank and after each dump during a trip. They have enzymes, oxy cleaner, water softener, and odor neutralizer in the formula ... Basically the "GEO Method" pre-packaged and easier to manage.

Hey, thanks for that tip!

I've been doing a "modified" geo method... store brand laundry tablet, with about a half cup of borax, and a capful of cheap liquid laundry softner mixed up with 5 gal bucket of water. All I can say, is that this works! I'll try out the Arm&Hammer packs when I run out of my current supplies!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS, pushing a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison 1000

Old 03-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Hey, thanks for that tip!

I've been doing a "modified" geo method... store brand laundry tablet, with about a half cup of borax, and a capful of cheap liquid laundry softner mixed up with 5 gal bucket of water. All I can say, is that this works! I'll try out the Arm&Hammer packs when I run out of my current supplies!
Suggest you check your "liquid laundry softener."

Water softener and fabric softener are two VERY different things.

Make sure you have the former and NOT the latter. (There's no fabric in your tanks.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #14

OP, do you have any experience with the ozone cleaners? I don't myself, but we just had one of the non-ozone aerus air scrubbers put into the new HVAC we had installed.

Even the non-ozone scrubber we have puts out a very noticeable odor, like hydrogen peroxide. I heard the ozone ones are worse.

I'm running it now due to the virus thing, but I don't really care for it.

Just food for thought.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

Make sure you have the former and NOT the latter. (There's no fabric in your tanks.)

LOL, yes they are very different things. Remember, I said "Modified GEO Method".

The Borax that I add softens the water.

The theory for using fabric softener is that it coats everything in the tank, and prevents things from sticking especially to the sensors and sides of the tank. It also has good deodorant properties.

You might try it, it works.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

Unless you've run out of TP and had to resort to cut up T-shirts.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
OP, do you have any experience with the ozone cleaners? I don't myself, but we just had one of the non-ozone aerus air scrubbers put into the new HVAC we had installed.

Even the non-ozone scrubber we have puts out a very noticeable odor, like hydrogen peroxide. I heard the ozone ones are worse.

I'm running it now due to the virus thing, but I don't really care for it.

Just food for thought.
FWIW, I have an Ozone Generator designed to remove odors caused by mold. mildew, fire damage, smokers, etc. Huge letters on the machine warning that it's for use in unoccupied spaces ONLY. Ozone in sufficient concentration can be deadly. Also, it's highly corrosive to many materials like rubber and acrylics.

NOT recommended for odor control in a holding tank when so many other safer methods are available.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #18
TGR

Ozone generators are unsafe in any space occupied while the ozone concentration is elevated. As TitanMike said, ozone will deteriorate rubber and many other materials. Even low concentrations of ozone can seriously harm your lungs.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #19

And what would the ozone do to the rubber flapper seal in your toilet?

Sure seems like a lot of effort(cost) vs gain.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
LOL, yes they are very different things. Remember, I said "Modified GEO Method".

The Borax that I add softens the water.

The theory for using fabric softener is that it coats everything in the tank, and prevents things from sticking especially to the sensors and sides of the tank. It also has good deodorant properties.

You might try it, it works.
No, it's the borax that makes things slide easier. If you're putting in fabric softener, it's a) not making things slide and b) could very well be preventing the borax from making things slide.

And maybe c) contributing to your odor issue.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank