Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 24
Peeling upholstery

Has anyone experienced upholstery peeling in their motorhome? If so, I would be interested in knowing how you fixed the problem. My 2018 Dynamax Rev , which was purchased new and carefully maintained, has areas of peeling vinyl. It seems to me that the product used on the coach is defective and either Dynamax or the supplier should step up to the plate and make it right. I don't believe anyone that buys a new RV would ever consider that the upholstery could fail in such a short time. I have owned dozens of vehicles during my lifetime, many have had the faux leather upholstery and were subjected to harsh conditions, like pets, children, weather, etc. None have deteriorated in a matter of three years. Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.
Richard L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
milkman55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Posts: 1,448
There are a number of threads on this issue, but here is one on a REV model.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...rt-178550.html
__________________
2021 Isata 5 30FW
2014 Honda CR-V
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Motorized GM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol, IN
Posts: 14,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Has anyone experienced upholstery peeling in their motorhome? If so, I would be interested in knowing how you fixed the problem. My 2018 Dynamax Rev , which was purchased new and carefully maintained, has areas of peeling vinyl. It seems to me that the product used on the coach is defective and either Dynamax or the supplier should step up to the plate and make it right. I don't believe anyone that buys a new RV would ever consider that the upholstery could fail in such a short time. I have owned dozens of vehicles during my lifetime, many have had the faux leather upholstery and were subjected to harsh conditions, like pets, children, weather, etc. None have deteriorated in a matter of three years. Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.
Richard, I'm not sure why you would post that the supplier or Dynamax should step up, we haven't even been given the chance.

You spoke with Mark in parts and we were not getting a response from the supplier, so you emailed me.

I informed you at the time that we have gotten replacement covers like this before so it should not be an issue, but that there are Industry wide shortages right now due to Covid...furniture being one of the most egregious.

I have one division with 40 coaches offline without furniture.

My final comment to you was "Just stay in contact with Mark and weíll eventually get some resolution."
__________________
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:08 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
jneum525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 241
Sounds like you might be on your way to resolution, however here's another link.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...at-198212.html

Not sure where your furniture was made, but we got an almost exact duplicate seat cover for the passenger seat from Williamsburg Furniture, based on info in the link above. Very reasonably priced too...
__________________
2017 Isata 3 FW (Purchased 2-20)
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Motorized GM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol, IN
Posts: 14,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
Sounds like you might be on your way to resolution, however here's another link.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...at-198212.html

Not sure where your furniture was made, but we got an almost exact duplicate seat cover for the passenger seat from Williamsburg Furniture, based on info in the link above. Very reasonably priced too...
Right now, Williamsburg is not taking parts or retail orders as they are trying to catch up back orders for production.

In fact, we were told that even service orders that are already in house would be moving to the back of the line as they try to catch up.
__________________
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
Member
 
rottnmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hudson Valley NY
Posts: 55
Peeling Pleather

Just curious about the manufacturer of the material ie: Country of Origin. Is it imported from the Far East?
__________________
Rick & Marta
2012 Mirada (Miranda) 32DS
TST TPMS X10, 2012 EQUINOX & BLUE OX BEHIND

Never have more dogs than you have windows.

rottnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
Motorized GM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol, IN
Posts: 14,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottnmom View Post
Just curious about the manufacturer of the material ie: Country of Origin. Is it imported from the Far East?
Almost ALL vinyl and polyurethanes come from China. Ultra Leather comes from Japan. There are no Domestic producers of PU fabrics that I know of.

In fact most fabrics that are used are also out of China. There are a couple of Domestic mills that I have sourced for some fabrics in the past, but we choose by color/design more than location.

Hydrolysis was not really a known thing until it hit the industry. Now you can buy material that has specific testing for this which is what we do. You can buy 2 year, 5 year and 10 year material. We buy the 10 year. That does not mean it will fail in 10 years...it just means that it passed the 10 year testing protocols.
__________________
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Just a thought/question... what are people using to maintain & clean their seats? Non-natural cleaning products can have unforeseen & negative consequences on manmade materials.

We only use a 1/5 mixture of white vinegar & water. Cleans great, absolutely no cracking or peeling issues in the 19 months of ownership of Big Red Isata 5. I use this mix on all surfaces for cleaning purposes.
__________________
CathyE
DW & Navigator
2019 I-5 30 FW
Smart4Two Toad
CathyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,157
Is there a reason why the RV industry won’t use cloth upholstery, as was done in the past? We sold our 1995 class C last year that had cloth sofa, dinette, and cab seats all still in comfortable, flawless condition. I would much rather have cloth than the fakey vinyl and polyurethane stuff.

I buy low end trim lines in cars and trucks, but even so, the automotive upholstery holds up for the life of the vehicle. Can’t the RV industry use the same materials?
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS Ford, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
Motorized GM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol, IN
Posts: 14,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Is there a reason why the RV industry wonít use cloth upholstery, as was done in the past? We sold our 1995 class C last year that had cloth sofa, dinette, and cab seats all still in comfortable, flawless condition. I would much rather have cloth than the fakey vinyl and polyurethane stuff.

I buy low end trim lines in cars and trucks, but even so, the automotive upholstery holds up for the life of the vehicle. Canít the RV industry use the same materials?
1. By FAR and away, people prefer vinyl/PU over fabric. fabric can hold odors, stains, etc. When things are in storage for as long as they are, this tends to amplify. We used to use fabric...and I am about to offer one color in fabric, however once we started offering PU's, 99.9% of buyers have preferred that.

2. fabrics are flammable. Most people don't know this, but travel trailers/5th wheels don't need to pass flame spread ratings from the DOT because no one is riding in it during transit. However motorhomes have to be 302 certified for flammability. So most fabrics need to be flame spread treated with some chemicals. Those chemicals often alter the "hand" or feel of the fabric. making what was once a soft, good feeling fabric into burlap.

3. Vinyl & PU's inherently pass 302. So it removes a step in the process and does not require any additional treatement.
__________________
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 620
My 2016 Cedar Creek came with Lazy Boy brand recliners. I thought they might be higher quality...mistake. The cheap fake leather on both of them has split up the back. Cheap crap. I'm putting some cloth seat covers on them until I find some decent replacements that are readily available.
__________________
2015 Chev Silverado 3500 dually D/A
2016 Cedar Creek 36CK
B&W Patriot 18K, Trail-Aire pinbox,
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. By FAR and away, people prefer vinyl/PU over fabric. fabric can hold odors, stains, etc. When things are in storage for as long as they are, this tends to amplify. We used to use fabric...and I am about to offer one color in fabric, however once we started offering PU's, 99.9% of buyers have preferred that.

2. fabrics are flammable. Most people don't know this, but travel trailers/5th wheels don't need to pass flame spread ratings from the DOT because no one is riding in it during transit. However motorhomes have to be 302 certified for flammability. So most fabrics need to be flame spread treated with some chemicals. Those chemicals often alter the "hand" or feel of the fabric. making what was once a soft, good feeling fabric into burlap.

3. Vinyl & PU's inherently pass 302. So it removes a step in the process and does not require any additional treatement.
Our 2013 Dodge minivan has cloth seats, which I assume pass flammability requirements. The cloth is very soft and supple, easy to clean and long wearing. I would take that in a motorhome over the stiff vinyl stuff any day if it was available. We did choose the Stone interior in our Sunseeker specifically because at least the dinette seat backs are cloth. But I guess we are the oddballs, since as you say, most people want vinyl or PU.

I guess if all that the RV manufacturers offer is vinyl or PU, then that’s what everyone has to buy. That makes it appear popular.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS Ford, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 144
Driver & Passenger Seats

A couple days ago on our way home from the Western Gathering in Spearfish, we were in a campground one night watching Hogan's Hero's on MeTV, and DW made the observation that our seats looked just like Carter's really ratty flight jacket. She was absolutely spot on, but now his jacket is beginning to look better than our seats. I've watched that show since it first came on, and Carter's jacket always looked like he had been wearing it non stop for decades, not just the 2-3 years he was a POW.
Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:42 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 44
It's all junk now. They use pleather. It's a combination of plastic and leather mixed together. Two years/15,000 miles is about it. Weird when you consider most auto upholstery lasts 100,000 + miles. Doesn't seem it would be difficult to find quality material at all. Just use automotive stuff.
PeteFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:08 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteFuller View Post
It's all junk now. They use pleather. It's a combination of plastic and leather mixed together. Two years/15,000 miles is about it. Weird when you consider most auto upholstery lasts 100,000 + miles. Doesn't seem it would be difficult to find quality material at all. Just use automotive stuff.
And here I am 4 years and 67,000 miles, including 16 months of fulltime living, with not a crack. I must've won the lottery.

Or maybe they identified a problem that was industrywide, made the appropriate changes, and are helping the affected customers as they need it.

__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 24
I'm happy to say that my upholstery problem has been resolved. Dynamax went above and beyond their obligation to make things right. Many thanks to Dynamax.
Richard L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.