Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Pete&Joni

Pjeoutwest

Hi all. I have just joined on as a new forum member. Looking to purchase new or newer used Dynamax Isata 3 (24FW) or similar in the Forester MBS 2401W.

Trying to differentiate between the two other than color options is difficult. I understand Dynamax and Forest River have similar ownership and are built in different facilities. Any thoughts on which makes a better quality product or reasons to consider one over the other? Cost differences experienced?

Pjeoutwest
Pjeoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjeoutwest View Post
Hi all. I have just joined on as a new forum member. Looking to purchase new or newer used Dynamax Isata 3 (24FW) or similar in the Forester MBS 2401W.

Trying to differentiate between the two other than color options is difficult. I understand Dynamax and Forest River have similar ownership and are built in different facilities. Any thoughts on which makes a better quality product or reasons to consider one over the other? Cost differences experienced?

Pjeoutwest
If you compare the features you may find that the Dynamax offers more value for your money. Compare the various systems and components. Many consider the Dynamax to be built with more care and upgraded components.

Nothing here intended to be a sleight of Forest River?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
Commercial Member

I saw your PM Pjeoutwest, but wanted to wait until I was back in the office to respond. You would really have to see them in person to better understand the differences and see what is important to you. Looking at the floor plan won't tell you much.

I worked for the Forester division forever 10 years. It is a well built product and structurally we do things very similar, but when it comes to standard features, we will have more things that are standard including a 2 year warranty.

We paint the majority of our units on site and we cut and buff each and every one. No other Class C mfg does that, which results in a mirror like finish. We also use true gel coated walls so you get fewer waves. While they offer 12V TV's so you can watch while going down the road, we use 110V TV's (easily replaceable) and a 1000 Watt pure sine wave inverter...so you can watch the TV's, or you can also run a coffee maker or other devices off the inverter without the need to run the Gen or be plugged in. Our stereos come with XM tuner and antenna along with standard GPS (hardware based), they have a system that will need your phone and streaming to do that same. We don't cut our slide walls out of the hole until we set the entire wall. Once everything is square and assembled...THEN we cut the slide room out. Assemble the boxes, paint the slide room, THEN put it back in the motorhome. Most mfg's, cut the room out before setting the wall and build the box, then assemble the entire unit and then send it to an offsite paint facility. The list goes on...but all of this does come at a cost. We are definitely more money... We have geared our product to an experienced RV'er that wants all the bells and whistles up front.

One piece crowned fiberglass roof
Aluminum storage doors with slam latches instead of fiberglass and thumb turns.
MaxxAir roof vents in all openings. Most msgs do a standard vent or maybe one with a rain cover, an inexpensive, small 12V fan in the bathroom and a fixed skylight in the bedroom. We do the MaxxAir (with a built in rain hood and remote at each area)
Armless two stage awning with motion retraction
carpeted cab mats
metal wrapped slide toppers
Helwig sway bar
We paint the bumpers and side moldings of the sprinter. Most mfg's don't
Annodized aluminum running boards instead of fiberglass
Frameless windows
Acrylic entry handle
Heat Shield front privacy shades
1/2" solid surface galley (some are only 1/4")
Hidden hinges
Lighted Toe kick (some don't have toe kick, almost no one lights them)
7cu ft refer (most are 6)
iCool gel infused memory foam mattress
Bedroom TV (Standard)
15,000 BTU AC with heat pump (standard)
Dual group 31 AGM (maintenance free batteries). most are group 27 flooded.
AquaGo on demand water heater.

To the first time buyer walking up to both, you might say "meh" and think they are the same. But those that are experienced...when you really start looking into it, there are lots of difference. I would not say one is better than the other because you still have to weight the cost factor. It really comes down to what suits you best.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Pete&Joni

Dynamax 24FWM

Thank you - excellent Info. Dynamax clearly offers the quality and options I find of Value.

The weight restrictions for the MBS platforms/chassis concern me a bit.

Seems there is not much left over for passengers and their stuff once I add in the weight capacities for Gas, LP, Water, Black/Grey tanks.

I like the 4 point leveler option. I am guessing it will also add a lot of weight.

Is this why the output capacity of Diesel Generator option with the Levelers has been reduced (saving weight?). Very curious to know the pros/cons of Diesel vs LP Generator?

Your knowledge and assistance is greatly appreciated and definitely another good reason to consider Dynamax. Sounds like you also have a better warranty.

Regards,

pjeoutwest
Old 02-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Many people only travel with partial fresh water tank. You wouldn't normally factor black/gray since those are only adding water as you are taking it from the fresh water tank.

Leveling jacks add almost 300 lbs last time I checked.

Output capacity of the diesel gen is not really about weight. It is the only size they build that is small enough to fit there.

Con is cost and diesel fuel smell. Pro is that you pull off the main tank (not LP tank which other things pull off of) and that diesel is a higher energy source. More energy per gallon, which means longer run time versus LP. We see a lot of generators come in that are 3-4 years old and only have 60 hours on them. So unless you use the gen a lot...I'm not sure it justifies the cost. The LP get burns cleaner and offers a slightly higher wattage. Mainly used to charge up the batteries when needed (which solar/chassis engine helps) and run the AC which many people are plugging in to do that. All depends on how you plan to camp.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Pete&Joni

Dynamax 24FWM

Thank you.

Does Dynamax offer automated 2 point leveler (Rear)? I noticed FR has Mechanical (rear) levelers available and wonder if two would do the job if available?

I have a 2013 Jeep (2dr) Jeep Wrangler with 4200 curb weight. Do you think I would be pushing it by towing behind the 24FWM?

Pjeoutwest
Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
Commercial Member

The two point rear stabilizer is standard on the Isata 3. Same system really...we developed that with a supplier and partnered with them to save on development costs.

We used to have a 2 point hydraulic. It was heavier and they only worked as a pair. By going electric...we save weight. The jacks could be installed further back and wider and we use individual switches...so while not a leveling system, it has a similar effect. We had hoped that it was a fair tradeoff of to save the weight and cost added by a 4 point system. While people still want the 4 point...this 2 point system gives the customer viable options.

If you're towing 4 wheels down (not a trailer)...you're right at the limit. Trailer adds 10% to the hitch which is the larger concern.

I know some people are already towing a Jeep. As long as you travel light and don't exceed your GCWR you would be fine. Its not the pulling that is ever a problem, its normally the stopping that is.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Pete&Joni

Dynamax 24FWM

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Does Dynamax have a source that clearly breaks down accessories available that are Standard vs Optional? Your website shows options however a Dynamax dealer is sending quotes with items I would otherwise expect to be standard as they do not appear as options on the website. Example: Full Body paint $$$$$.

Dealer offering to sell me TOMTOM NAV? Doesn't the XCITE system w/Nav come standard? it does not appear as an "option" online?

Is Extended Cab over w/ mattress a $$ option? Trifold Sofa w/ Table $$ Option?

I appreciate your assistance!

Pjeoutwest
Old 02-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Commercial Member

There will be some confusion here for another 60 days. You're looking at 17 price sheets probably and an 18 brochure.

The website has been updated with the 18 brochure, but the 17 is still available in the archive section.