Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #41

Hey Mag. Like your setup. What is the engine monitor display?
And center console?
Hal

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Hey Mag. Like your setup. What is the engine monitor display?
And center console?
Hal

BlueFire on an 8" Samsung tablet w/ RAM Tab-Tite & double ball mount

RAM Tab-Tite

Build5 Fabrication Tunes Edition console with JBL Stadium GTO620 Speakers, Kicker PXA3004 Class D Amp, USB QC3.0/voltmeter ports

M2 Center Console

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	249155  
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #43

Mag. I'm confused on the Garmin. You run it on a Samsung tablet?
I only see bundled offers on Garmin that includes a display.
??

Old 03-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Mag. I'm confused on the Garmin. You run it on a Samsung tablet?
I only see bundled offers on Garmin that includes a display.
??
The Garmin RV890 is on top of my dash and is a standalone GPS.

The Samsung tablet is mounted on the center console under the M2 climate controls and displays the BlueFire app gauges that get their info from the wireless BlueFire module plugged into the M2's diagnostic port. This has nothing to do with the Garmin GPS.

Sorry for any confusion. I may have misled you with the comment I made about the Garmin RV890 & RV1090 GPS units. Garmin's GPS software just happens to be hosted on an embedded version of the Android Operating System within these standalone units.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #45

That's make a lot of sense now.
Sorry to keep bugging you, but your setup is so nice.
I'm not seeing rear-view camera display, or tire pressure monitoring?
Do you have them packed in there somewhere?
What size display is your Garmin? It appears they offer 7,8 or 10".
I am thinking 8" is fine and a far cry better than my Android phone I've been using for GPS.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #46

This has been popping around elsewhere on boards but I found this really really interesting for the Isata 5. It is ALOT of money, but the 11 inch plus android apps, if I had money to burn, would be pretty cool

https://www.infotainment.com/collect...31857658101796
seels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #47

Quote:
I'm not seeing rear-view camera display, or tire pressure monitoring?
Do you have them packed in there somewhere?
What size display is your Garmin?
Camera display is a split screen monitor just above the driver and close to my face with a quick glance. It is a fulltime display of all three cameras, leftside, rear, and right side. I can also control the rear camera up/down angle with a separate remote control. I also have the ability to plug in a trailer-mounted camera when I tow and can switch views with the remote.

I have not selected a tire pressure/temp monitoring system yet. Whenever/if ever I get to that it will be a graphic Android app running on any of my Android devices with audible & visual alarms, most likely displayed on the center console Samsung tablet.

Right now I have the 8" Garmin RV890. The size & resolution of the display so far is ideal. But as I get more blind with age, and/or I run across a super deal, I may upgrade to the RV1090 someday. I really, really like this particular Garmin. Having it angled and positioned closer to my face makes a huge difference and is much safer. An added benefit is the ability to detach it from the mag mount while on the road so the wife can comfortably reconfigure routes, look up sites and/or services wirelessly from her lap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Overhead Monitor 6-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	249170  
Old 03-08-2021, 07:34 PM   #48

The rear-view camera is awesome. Did that come with your M2?
Now the rear-view camera is on top of the dash, in the center. It does take up some dash real estate but gets the job done. I really like the idea of being able to adjust the rear camera angle. I never cared for the rear camera now provided as it was either too high or too low. The M2 now comes with a TPMS. Not sure of the make, but I had it on my Isata-5 and it was quite adequate. Monitored each tire's pressure and temp. And you can set alarms for out of parameters you choose. I kept my eye on it as we traveled. It was interesting to see how fast the tires heated up once under way, and how much the tire pressure increased with temp. It's a very useful tool for safety and minimizing wear. Thanks again for all your very helpful info.
Hal

Old 03-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #49

For navigation I use my iPad on a ram mount stuck to the window. Works so much better than any in dash radio setup. And it can be updated, and be used for other things.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by seels View Post
This has been popping around elsewhere on boards but I found this really really interesting for the Isata 5. It is ALOT of money, but the 11 inch plus android apps, if I had money to burn, would be pretty cool

For the record, apple carplay and android auto only show up in the top half. You don’t get the whole screen. I have this in my 2020 ram and thought about upgrading the one in the Isata 5 but there’s not much to gain. CarPlay actually looks smaller in my 1500 on this 11” (diagonally tall) screen than in the Isata 5 on the 8.4” (diagonally wide) screen.
The only benefit is having the bottom half for controls or radio. I have found that I use that little and switching screens is just as easy. You also cannot display built in navigation on the bottom when CarPlay or Android auto are on top. That one bugs me.
I put more thought into purchasing the dash cluster upgrade than the 11” screen.

Update: just went to both my vehicles and plugged in my iPhone. Isata 5 CarPlay is 7.5” diagonally and Ram 1500 (with 11” screen) CarPlay is 7.25” diagonally. Not much difference.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #51

John, what GPS nav app are you using?
Hal

Old 03-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #52

So I have only recently (yesterday) discovered Bluestack, which is a Windows compatible utility which allows you to run any app on a Windows tablet. And, Garmin, as well as others, have external GPS (Garmin 18x, $75), that will now turn a Win tablet into a nice navigator, and will still do anything else you want. I have become used to using Sygic truck GPS (they don't have an RV specific unit), which is great because you can add length, height, etc for hazard avoidance, Google Maps, because its a good navigator, and Waze, because its good at notifications of speed traps and road hazards. I am just getting used to using RV tripwizard but haven't exported to the RV life GPS yet, but that's the other cool thing about this tablet based concept.
Here is a link for Bluestack, as well as how to download Waze.

https://www.bluestacks.com/blog/blue...indows-10.html

So, seems one could get a decent sized Win10 tablet (10 in perhaps), the Garmin 18x, Bluestack, and good mount, and then you'd have about everything on one nice large display. With the Win10 tablet you could even split the screen, and for example, run RV tripward, and Waze or any other GPS nav app or your choice all on one display. It's sounds good on paper.
Anyone see any forks in the road I'm missing?

Old 03-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #53

Actually, I am already finding perhaps a fly in the ointment, in that the Garmin 18x may only produce Garmin proprietary GPS data. They have a new 18x 5Hz but I have not yet determined if its a simple USP device. There are quite a few other external GPS receivers, USB and Bluetooth which seem more universal (non-proprietary).

Old 03-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #54

Quote:
I guess the question is, where do you put this nice, separate display, so, the interest in integration with the one spot that already exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTordoff View Post
I may be using all the wrong search words but I can't seem to find any info on creative ways to mount accessories on the curved dash of the 2018 38C. Sticky pads are OK for the small stuff but I want to add the dash cam, iPad pro 12" and a few other things.

Any ideas?
For your special needs try https://www.rammount.com/consumer/brands/garmin

For a more custom make your own ..

Slightly Off Topic,
I dislike the clutter of cables and plugs in my line of sight and my FR3 GPS & camera integrated with the radio which the location is about knee level to my right side. Never could use it as a turn signal, blind spot or gps, camera. Stupid design and dumb location.

So I made my ow with my limited skills -

Sits on my dash left side in my line of sighted slightly taller than my dashboard so not to obstruct traffic or the road
It holds my TPMS, GPS, Back Up Camera & Blindside Camera, I added a USB Charger for my phone & a clock

Covered it with leather/ fabric made of 1/4" plywood lots of measuring works for me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201108_173401790.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	249502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201108_173411210.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	249503  
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #55
Norwood Auto Italia

g
Quote:
Originally Posted by seels View Post

A couple of issues present themselves:
Software versions - who manages these reconditioned third part supplies?
Who manages supplies aftersales wiring incompatibility issues - plug 'n play is mostly a dream...?
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
For the record, apple carplay and android auto only show up in the top half. You don’t get the whole screen. I have this in my 2020 ram and thought about upgrading the one in the Isata 5 but there’s not much to gain. CarPlay actually looks smaller in my 1500 on this 11” (diagonally tall) screen than in the Isata 5 on the 8.4” (diagonally wide) screen.
The only benefit is having the bottom half for controls or radio. I have found that I use that little and switching screens is just as easy. You also cannot display built in navigation on the bottom when CarPlay or Android auto are on top. That one bugs me.
I put more thought into purchasing the dash cluster upgrade than the 11” screen.

Update: just went to both my vehicles and plugged in my iPhone. Isata 5 CarPlay is 7.5” diagonally and Ram 1500 (with 11” screen) CarPlay is 7.25” diagonally. Not much difference.
To me the big thing would be the map that seems like it uses the whole screen. I don't think I would pay 1000's of dollars for that, but say for example if they had it for under a grand I would almost certainly buy it.

How is the map on the 11 inch screen?
seels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #57

What is the status of this Garmin option on the DX3? We opted for this on our build and the coach construction has started at the factory. Thanks.
steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
What is the status of this Garmin option on the DX3? We opted for this on our build and the coach construction has started at the factory. Thanks.
Same option as it was before. Kenwood does not have a floating screen yet.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
x2 and more in front of your face too! Especially a nav map more so than cameras.
YES. THIS. I'd much rather a large screen with a nav map than all of those cameras. I need the nav more often than the cameras.

'21 Dynamax Force HD 37BH
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #60

Get a Samsung tablet (I use tab s6 a 10.5" screen). $325 at Walmart. Numerous mounts to choose from. Runs any android GPS navigation app out there. I've tried most all and RV Tripwizard is pretty darn good. The best part is the trip planning in advance that will sync with their nav app. You can mount it anywhere you want. And, you keep your radio separate from your nav display. I run Waze simultaneously.