Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Your personal Sales and/or Service experience with McKee RV in Perry, IA
Sale - Experience : Positive 2 100.00%
Sale - Experience : Negative 0 0%
Service - Experience : Positive 0 0%
Service - Experience : Negative 1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
Steve & Linda M.

Poll ... McKee RV in Perry, IA

I'm posting a poll. Please limit this to your Personal Experience with this Dealership. I haven't started a poll on this forum, before. So please be patient as I work through this. Not exactly sure how the polls here work.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Doing a search in the Dealer reviews sub-forum found one result from 4 years ago.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...wa-166390.html
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #3

My experience is a little dated. At the time I bought the I5, McKee was not a dealer in Iowa.

My experience is on the service side in 2017 and 2018. Was not impressed. Sloppy repair work. I doubled checked the work before leaving and most times was not completed correctly or only have done.

Have not been back as I able to do most of the repair/maintenance work myself.

Hopefully you will get more recent comments in service department performance.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #4

I had an overall good experience with McKee recently. Charlie Wells was who we worked with. We'd been there once in the past to look at a DX3 they had and then we ended up deciding to look for an Isata 5 instead. One popped up for sale there, a used 2021 that was originally bought there and then traded back in for a class A. Charlie was great to work with as was their finance guy, John. They made the whole process extremely easy despite being such a large purchase. They offer no BS pricing, well below market averages and they even negotiated with me on the final price. I will say I wasn't as impressed with the PDI experience and what I saw on the service side of things. Our PDI tech was an extremely nice guy but lacked a lot of knowledge specific to the I-5. I felt like I was teaching him more than he was teaching us at times but I had also done a lot of research prior to our purchase. The "detail" job on the RV left a bit to be desired and whoever filled the oil made a mess on the engine cover and ignored it but our PDI tech noticed right away and cleaned it up. They also over-filled the DEF and caused us some annoyance there to deal with a Ram related issue when that happens but again, they likely just were not aware of this as they don't move a lot of Dynamax units, or I-5s specifically. They seem to like the Dynamax brand a lot but it doesn't seem like a lot of local area customers really know about the brand vs the more common brands like Thor, Renegade, etc so they sell more of those. So overall, I'd work with them again to order a new RV and have zero regrets on our 1 owner used purchase. I'm a bit skeptical of the service side of things but I can handle most things myself. If I run into a warranty issue, I'm likely going to be more inclined to try to get the RV to Dynamax if I can. Hope this helps!
Graham_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:30 AM   #5
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_84 View Post
Hope this helps!
Thanks for the insight ! We live in Michigan, so likely won't be doing a run to Iowa for service. Plus we've heard that the Service side of things tends to be less positive. However, that is often the case at RV dealerships, and even independent Service providers. That in itself may make life more difficult.

We've had numerous problems having things serviced and then suffered for the convenience. What makes it more painful are the high costs for non-Warranty work.

I've often been left having to do the service myself, so as to know it was done correctly.

Fortunately, the Force is on a Freightliner chassis, my experience with Freightliner has been positive, with respect to service. Plus they are unbiquitous.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
Thanks for the insight !
You bet! If you are just looking for a nice small town dealer to work with, McKee is it. Great people for sure. Service is tough. It hard to find good techs.

Good luck!
Graham_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #7

My sales experience went quite smooth with Charlie as well. They let us lock in at a solid price (pre-covid I may add) and stuck to it. Closing went smoothly as well, I believe with Brad and John.

Service tech seemed pretty careless and their pre delivery cleaning job clearly was done by some amateurs. I'm not considering taking it back to them for any service, I'll either fix myself, or set an appointment up in Elkhart.

While I wouldn't hesitate to buy another RV from them in the future, the plan is to keep this one till the wheels fall off.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:56 AM   #8
Steve & Linda M.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
My sales experience went quite smooth with Charlie as well. They let us lock in at a solid price (pre-covid I may add) and stuck to it. Closing went smoothly as well, I believe with Brad and John.

Service tech seemed pretty careless and their pre delivery cleaning job clearly was done by some amateurs. I'm not considering taking it back to them for any service, I'll either fix myself, or set an appointment up in Elkhart.

While I wouldn't hesitate to buy another RV from them in the future, the plan is to keep this one till the wheels fall off.

Jim
Given the current RV environment, hardly anyone is Price Protecting the MSRP, on new orders. It would be nice to be made aware of typical and upper limits. But apparently inventory is so low that just about anything can be sold at just about any cost. Some seem to be taking real advantage of the situation.

I'd really be shocked if Charlie, who I (we) have been dealing with would waive the No Price Protection aspect.

The good news is that although, I was really suspect of a good deal being too good to be true, this one may actually work out.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:03 AM   #9
Steve & Linda M.

Should I start wondering ?

Should I start wondering why all the great positive reviews, for McKee, are coming out of Iowa ?

It's just rhetorical. But so far, true.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:24 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Should I start wondering why all the great positive reviews, for McKee, are coming out of Iowa ?

It's just rhetorical. But so far, true.
I strongly stand behind buying from your servicing dealer. It builds a relationship with their company and you can escalate things up the chain to people you may know already. While we FULLY expect and demand that a Dynamax dealer service ALL of our products, no matter where they are purchased, it is definitely true that their own local customers will get preferential treatment if all other things are equal.

For example, we do not have a local Land Rover dealer. A dealer in Grand Rapids will come down and pick up my wife's car from our driveway, drop a loaner to use, have it serviced, then bring it back and pick up the loaner. That is a service they provide for their customers. I would not buy that brand elsewhere. There are (sometimes) potential perks for buying local.

Personally, I do most of what I can (on my own car), myself, just to prevent any hassle at all. Most people that have issues with "not buying local" are not handy, aren't very well versed on RV's, buy outside of their market to save money and then expect that same level of service from their local dealer that they did not buy from AND NOW! Too many times I hear about people flying in, not allowing themselves enough time, rushing off without a proper walk through, then expect their local dealer to expedite their service. If you go in eyes wide open, fully understanding this (as I would as a buyer), then you will probably be fine.

Having said all of that, I have personally had several interactions with McKee RV, Jon McKee specifically. Any time we have had an issue where the customer made claims about them, I would investigate. The dealer was telling the truth 100% of the time (in my interactions). That is actually rare. Most times the truth is somewhere in the middle, a misunderstanding. In one particular case, a buyer flew in and had reservations about taking delivery of the coach. I talked to the dealer and heard they had offered them the chance to back out. When I relayed this to the customer, he called the dealer "an F'ing liar" and "that never happened". Later that person had to acknowledge that the dealer had offered it, not once, but twice.

No dealer is perfect, but in every case I have been involved in, they have gone out of their way to try and make things right.

I have always said, if you are reasonable with me, I will work with you reasonably....no matter the scenario. I feel they are the same. What I can't speak on is someone's expectations and sometimes they are higher than anyone can feasibly meet.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:48 AM   #11
Steve & Linda M.

Thanks Brian ! Your points are well taken.

I detect, even if in a indirect way, you have verified what others have said about McKee.

I understand the pitfalls of buy from a more remote dealer. We bought our current Class A in Memphis. And we are from SW Michigan. And I concur that if you aren't somewhat handy, that you shouldn't buy from a distant dealer. As a matter of fact, it probably isn't wise to get into any RV from any Dealer.

We've been RVing for almost 30 years. So we've had some great, and not so great, experiences. The only one that put a stop to our itinerary was when the DEF Header crapped out in our current RV. I image we've been pretty lucky.

p.s. My wifes car is a Acura MDX. The nearest dealer is either in Merrillville or Grand Rapids. My wife hit a deer on the highway, fortunately someone else had put it out of it's misery before hand. She ended up driving over the carcass. I put it on a trailer and took it to Merrillville and they looked it over and found no problems. They cleaned it all up and didn't charge us $0.001. Great servicing dealers are indeed hard to find.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
I detect, even if in a indirect way, you have verified what others have said about McKee.
Yes, it was likely too many words, but it is not always a simple answer. To summarize, they have been "stand up" guys in all of my dealings and have gone above and beyond in my opinion.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #13
Commercial Member

This was also just posted on the (Official) FB Owners Group. Timing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-02 112130.png
Views:	106
Size:	611.4 KB
ID:	269471  

Old 03-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #14
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
This was also just posted on the (Official) FB Owners Group. Timing...
Even more confirmation ! Great !
Old 03-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #15

Bought from Charlie at McKee June 2020. Took delivery Feb 2021. Good deal and everyone was very pleasant to deal with. I thought the PDI was very good.

I would highly recommend extensive manual reviews before delivery so you know what your getting when you take delivery.

If I were to buy again, McKee would be my first stop!
MAC D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #16

If you are a Veteran, be sure to mention that. They like Vets!
MAC D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:03 PM   #17

We have purchased two motorhomes from McKee in the past eight years and had a pleasant experience both times. Both Jim Anderson and Jon McKee were a pleasure to work with and always kept their promises. We ordered our 2018 Isata 5 from them and they set us up with a Dynamax factory tour the next day after we made our deposit. During the 6 month wait for ours to be built, Jim and Jon communicated regularly, without me having to call them. We could not be happier with the way we were treated by McKee RV and Dynamax.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:32 AM   #18
Steve & Linda M.

Placed our order for a Force 34KD yesterday !

Thanks to all who informed us that a deal too good to be true, was actually true.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Now to sit back and impatiently wait !

So much for the Poll approach. Results were as meaningful as those for elections and about the same number of people voted.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:16 AM   #19

Congrats! And once production starts on it, be sure to watch it getting built on their Facebook page.

And the factory tour is pretty awesome IMO.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #20
Steve & Linda M.

Thanks !

Thanks !

We did the factory tour last month. It was informative and helped convince us that we were on the right track.