Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Angry Pomona show question

This is going to reveal how naive and possibly dumb we are but I still want to post the question.

We ordered our new rig at the Pomona show. I asked the sales guy if the show price was the best price. He said since that since it was so much below MSRP that yes, it was. So, believing him, we didn't attempt to negotiate a lower price either with him or the finance guy. Come to find out later that someone got the same rig for about 10k less than what we paid, and got a bunch of options thrown in for nothing added. Now, granted, that deal was not made at the show, but still. My head about exploded. Add to that the fact that I later went on the Dillon web site and saw that all "their" prices were discounted off the MSRP to the same extent that they were at the show, and being at the dealer, I know those are not the last, best price. I feel kind of deceived.

My question is, should I email the finance guy and let him know I'm a bit upset about this and ask if there would be anything he might do? Or should I chalk it up to being naive and stupid and know better for next time?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Call the finance guy, GM and sales rep. I don’t know all the particulars of your deal but that would make me upset as well based on what you provided here.
Klamaths Premium "Porter" JH RIP
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
All white Siberian Husky "Turbo"
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Senior Member - Retired

LandKKnight
You did not provide the name of the dealer you worked with at the Pomona Show. Hopefully it was not Mike Thompson RV.

Hopefully the dealer you worked with will continue to work with you so you can negotiate an even better deal.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
LandKKnight
You did not provide the name of the dealer you worked with at the Pomona Show. Hopefully it was not Mike Thompson RV.

Hopefully the dealer you worked with will continue to work with you so you can negotiate an even better deal.
The sales guy was from Dennis Dillon RV out of the Boise location, the finance guy was from Dillon in Westminster, CA
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

What was the MSRP on the coach you purchased?
rsqcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqcon View Post
What was the MSRP on the coach you purchased?
I will PM you the numbers. Apparently, its a no no to talk price on an open forum, I got scolded when I replied to the person on FB who talked about her price.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
I will PM you the numbers. Apparently, its a no no to talk price on an open forum, I got scolded when I replied to the person on FB who talked about her price.
This is not Fb (who scolded you there, Fb or another person?)
You can post MSRP here. Don't post phone number, email or mailing address.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This is not Fb (who scolded you there, Fb or another person?)
You can post MSRP here. Don't post phone number, email or mailing address.
It was a person. Didn't really understand his point, something about affecting the dealer's ability to offer deals and service? He then deleted his thread as he had started it to talk about the Pomona show and people started posting other things, including price.

MSRP was 181.5K
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #9

When I purchased my 37TS DDRV was $6500 higher on the price, and they tack on another $2500 for PDI. $9K higher total than I paid.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #10

Some of these dealers don't think that we all talk. The dealer I bought my First Force from obviously didnt believe me that I would be buying another one three years later, unwilling to work with me this time because I wanted to sell my privately, since their trade offer was laughable.

I would call the GM, owner of the dealer and let them know you are sharing this with other Dynamax owners and if you do purchase again in the future, it wont be from them.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #11

The sales manager called me last night. We spoke briefly and he will call me back today. This talk of 2500 for pdi has me a bit concerned. This is the 2nd person to mention it. It was never mentioned to me, is not in our contract,. Is it something they spring on you upon delivery? The show price is what I paid, not including taxes and registration of course.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #12

Can you back out of the deal? Is that an option or are you too far along? I would take my hard earned money elsewhere but that is me. I hate shady dealers.
Klamaths Premium "Porter" JH RIP
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
All white Siberian Husky "Turbo"
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
Consumer of Space

I'd back out of it and go through the Texas dealer or the one in Michigan... I paid the 2500 PDI but it was after working them over on price. I could have paid 2or 3k less by going elsewhere, but the shipping cost/drive time and lack of instant gratification pushed me into swallowing the BS PDI charge.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #14

So again, I ask, was this pdi charge sprung on you upon delivery or was it built into your contract price? If I signed a contract and it wasn't mentioned, can they add it on delivery? Can someone please answer that?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #15

They made me aware of the PDI charge when we were talking price. I refused the deal and the DW went LIVID that they would add $2500! We drove to TX instead and saved $9K. But I'm retired and had the time, and, they didn't believe that I would drive to TX. Dealing with TX was relaxing and no BS.

I guess that they could refuse to do a PDI, or if you want one the price is $2500. If you wanted to buy from DDRV make sure that the contract includes the PDI. They told me that the PDI costs them $2500. If the Service Dept operates as a separate P&L center then they could charge the Sales Dept the $2500. Sales would want to recover that cost from you.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #16

Thank you. They mentioned pdi several times and never a mention of a cost. How long ago were you dealing with them. Seems unconscionable that they wd refuse to do pdi upon delivery. I better make sure when I talk to the guy tonight. If they try to add it I will def walk but they have my deposit.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #17

My timing was July '17. If they want to add the charge tell them that this is a 'change of scope'. Meaning this is not what was understood or agreed. A PDI is normally understood as part of the selling process and they can either include it or cancel the deal. Get it in writing so that it is understood what was agreed. You'll have to sign that there are no other understandings with anybody that is not written down.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
My timing was July '17. If they want to add the charge tell them that this is a 'change of scope'. Meaning this is not what was understood or agreed. A PDI is normally understood as part of the selling process and they can either include it or cancel the deal. Get it in writing so that it is understood what was agreed. You'll have to sign that there are no other understandings with anybody that is not written down.
That is what I needed to know. I rechecked my paper work. There is nothing that says PDI, no charge for $2500 anywhere, but I will still ask the sales manager tonight when/if he calls me back. Will mention all the "help" I'm getting from this forum, maybe he'll understand the PR, positive or negative that he can get here.

I really appreciate everyone's feed back, soooo helpful!
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #19
Consumer of Space

They added it to the written quote I requested. It was abbreviated as Dealer Added Equipment or something of the sort. I had to ask what it was. It'll be the only 2500 dollar charge. It pissed me off because the charge was taxable but it was presented as an additional service. In California services are not taxable, only goods are, which proves it wasn't a service! Timeframe was June of this year.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors11 View Post
They added it to the written quote I requested. It was abbreviated as Dealer Added Equipment or something of the sort. I had to ask what it was. It'll be the only 2500 dollar charge. It pissed me off because the charge was taxable but it was presented as an additional service. In California services are not taxable, only goods are, which proves it wasn't a service! Timeframe was June of this year.
Thanks! I checked, no $2500 charge anywhere. Nothing that says Dealer Added Equipment. There is an Access charge and Freight, but neither of those increased the agreed upon show price.
Windsurf-mobile for us

Tags
show