Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #1

Poor Customer Service

The risk of going to areas distant from large cities is that when something important breaks you better be capable of repairing. Levelers fit that bill, especially when they are extended and decide that they will not retract. If you haven’t already experienced the manual override procedure to retract the Equilizer levers, you are in for some real fun. First, you must have a 1/8” allen wrench, next, and electric drill and last but not least, a 1/4” allen drive bit that will fit in the aforementioned drill. Next, you have to be able to fit under your Isata 3. All the way under it. Once you locate the leveler pump, motor, reservoir unit, you will have to guess which of the four valves controls which leveler needs to be retracted. Since the system decided to crater as I was using the auto level feature, only the front levelers needed retracting. By the way, after it stopped working I reseted the tripped 80 amp breaker but any leveler or retract all button resulted in immediate tripping of the breaker. I had called Equalizer and requested emergency technical assistance, they called back 3 hours later after I had retracted the levelers. By the way , allen head bits for a drill are not easy to come by. I was fortunate in that the extra long torx bits I have are fited with a 1/4” hex base and I reversed the bit in the drill. When tech support did call he was informed that I had accomplished retracting the levelers so his job was done. Today I called Equilizer all day long and left several messages for Derrick whose inbox is what you are referred to when you select technical support. No return call and no return call from Dynamax. All the Equilizer panel lights come on but all you hear is a solenoid click not matter which button is pushed. Best guess is motor is out. Going from southern Vermont to Maine and hoping for level sites. So much for customer service.

Battchief
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Motorized GM

My apologies you had to encounter this, but a few things to consider.

With all new vehicles we provide Safe Ride (previously it was Coachnet) for situations like this. They are the emergency contact/triage to just get things unbroken enough to keep moving. I recommend people continue with that, or alternatives when on the road.

You can't really call Ford Motor Company and get an emergency hotline, you would have AAA or a similar roadside assistance as Ford would also work normal office hours.

I certainly understand that you were just looking for troubleshooting support and it is frustrating if you are not getting that. That is one of the reasons that many companies have tried to provide as many troubleshooting videos & "how to's" as possible. That is also part of the customer service response. I know Equalizer has a couple of videos on manual retraction for their systems. In my almost 20 years, I have thankfully only seen 2-3 times where jacks failed to retract in a "dire straits" sort of way like this...it's not a situation that anyone is really set up for.

Who, when did you call Dynamax?

I have talked about having a 24hr line for things like this...but finding someone with knowledge in ALL areas of everyone's components is almost impossible to find... we need a good and bored retired person.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #3

I called yesterday but it was after 4. I called today and explained to the receptionist the nature of my issue (no response from Equilizer and no functioning levelers), she transferred me to some young ladies voicemail (Danielle?) who instructed me to leave a message or contact her by email. I was driving so I chose to leave a message. I would rate Equalizer customer service a zero. I even chose the “warranty “ option even though their 1 year limited warranty has passed. Another mailbox “Bob”. I left him a message anyway. Here is what I expect. Someone who at least knows where I can take my 2020 Isata 3 and get the Equilizer levelers repaired. We are on a trip that is supposed to last until July 22. My best guess is motor since panel lights function and I hear a solenoid when I push any button that would extend levelers. All retract button will activate “operation “ light and beep but just continues until I turn power off. So nothing activates motor. Located a dealership in Maine that can look at it on 28th.. It would be better to know who is an equalizer dealer and will have the parts. You know the issues of a RV that isn’t level, especially refrigeration. In Pownal, VT.

Battchief
Old 06-22-2021, 07:18 PM   #4

I corrected my original post as I meant to rate Equalizer a zero. Dynamax was just dissapointing.. I repair the majority of minor issues myself. I repaired the table top on dinette when it literally fell off because some used screws too small. I added drawer locks to keep under seat storage closed. One drawer slide broke today under cooktop, will need replacement (anyone know the size?), I spent our first trip under the rv replacing and moving leveler brackets up a notch on front levelers after they failed to clear a speed bump and were bent. That was $400 in parts and overnight freight. I like the Isata 3 but QA needs to improve. I had hydraulic levelers on my class A and a motor burned out after 9 years, not 2. The manual override had a hand pump and was accessible by removing a panel in a compartment, not climbing under the motor home on gravel. It is ridiculous to expect anyone to jump through the hoops or have the equipment to raise levelers when a part fails. The last time you took out an Isata 3 did you carry an electric drill, 1/8” allen wrench and an 1/4” hex drill bit? Try finding a 1/4” hex drill bit in Honesdale,pa at 4:30 in the afternoon. Heck tryfinding one in South Bend at noon.

Battchief
Old 06-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battchief View Post
I called yesterday but it was after 4. I called today and explained to the receptionist the nature of my issue (no response from Equilizer and no functioning levelers), she transferred me to some young ladies voicemail (Danielle?) who instructed me to leave a message or contact her by email. I was driving so I chose to leave a message. I would rate Equalizer customer service a zero. I even chose the “warranty “ option even though their 1 year limited warranty has passed. Another mailbox “Bob”. I left him a message anyway. Here is what I expect. Someone who at least knows where I can take my 2020 Isata 3 and get the Equilizer levelers repaired. We are on a trip that is supposed to last until July 22. My best guess is motor since panel lights function and I hear a solenoid when I push any button that would extend levelers. All retract button will activate “operation “ light and beep but just continues until I turn power off. So nothing activates motor. Located a dealership in Maine that can look at it on 28th.. It would be better to know who is an equalizer dealer and will have the parts. You know the issues of a RV that isn’t level, especially refrigeration. In Pownal, VT.

Battchief
I know you would like them to work, and they should. That said I would not let this issue spoil your trip. I had an Isata3RW for 3 years and 40,000 miles and it was not equipped with levelers. I used LEGO’s when I was in a very un level camp site and it was very easy to level. Most of the time because of the short wheelbase I just moved around the site until level.
If it were me I would wait until I got home and deal with it then. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:33 PM   #6

For the record, the Equalizer emergency tech did state that Dynamax had screwed up by wiring leveler to an 80 amp breaker when Equalizer requires a 100amp dedicated breaker. When the levelers tripped the 80 amp leveler breaker , we discovered that the water system pump was wired to the same breaker. That is not a dedicated breaker. So who is responsible, Dynamax or Equalizer?
Equalizer definitely was pointing the finger at Dynamax but the under sized breaker woukd not burn out the motor.

Battchief
Old 06-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #7

Thanks, we are looking for a place to buy something like legos along our route. Worst case I will buy some boards and build some shoring ramps. I taught structural collapse shoring for urban search snd rescue teams at Texas A&M, I can make some shores. Just didn’t expect that I would be climbing under motorhome at 69 after have 4 neck vertebrae operated on. The biggest disappointment is the poor excuse for customer service in this country. From Verizon to Amazon, anything to keep from having a human life form actually answer a question. Now sales, you will get an immediate response.

Battchief
Old 06-22-2021, 07:54 PM   #8
Motorized GM

Quote:
I corrected my original post as I meant to rate Equalizer a zero. Dynamax was just dissapointing.. I repair the majority of minor issues myself. I repaired the table top on dinette when it literally fell off because some used screws too small. I added drawer locks to keep under seat storage closed. One drawer slide broke today under cooktop, will need replacement (anyone know the size?), I spent our first trip under the rv replacing and moving leveler brackets up a notch on front levelers after they failed to clear a speed bump and were bent. That was $400 in parts and overnight freight. I like the Isata 3 but QA needs to improve. I had hydraulic levelers on my class A and a motor burned out after 9 years, not 2. The manual override had a hand pump and was accessible by removing a panel in a compartment, not climbing under the motor home on gravel. It is ridiculous to expect anyone to jump through the hoops or have the equipment to raise levelers when a part fails. The last time you took out an Isata 3 did you carry an electric drill, 1/8” allen wrench and an 1/4” hex drill bit? Try finding a 1/4” hex drill bit in Honesdale,pa at 4:30 in the afternoon. Heck tryfinding one in South Bend at noon.

Battchief
I actually carry an electric screw gun (that takes drill bits), a holder and an assortment of tips that fit in a box the size of a pack of cards on every RV trip I take. While I don't often need them...I always run into people that do.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 06-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #9

I admit that I did not call Dynamax today until I could not get a response from Equalizer. Forest River has the power of the purse. You tell Equalizer that their customer service has to improve or another brand will be used. I am just an annoyance so I can’t get an answer as to where I can het this fixed. Perhaps may 48 years in the fire service has altered my expectations. If a citizen of Dallas called 9-11 and we literally didn’t run out the door and come to their aid immediately then we had violated our duty. As a chief, I never tolerated half efforts. This wasn’t anything near as critical but all I was expecting was a phone call. Too much?

Battchief
Old 06-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #10

Check that assortment of bits and see if includes a 1/4” hex bit. I was even considering cutting a 1/4” allen wrench to make one. Equalizer’s own instructions say it needs to be a drill capable of 2000 rpm. For grins, go park an Isata 3 on gravel and climb under until you get to the leveler motor. Then imagine doing that at 69. We were in Honesdale, PA. Give your staff a problem to solve. Ask them to find where the closest RV repair service is to that location and have them call and ask how many days it would be and if they would travel to that location. How long do you think the RV would have stayed there if I couldn’t retract the levelers? A number to call where someone can direct you to get help is a great idea. I thought that was what I was getting when MHRSV sold me my Dynamax and gave me a laminated sheet with numbers to call at Dynamax for problems.

Battchief
Old 06-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I admit that I did not call Dynamax today until I could not get a response from Equalizer. Forest River has the power of the purse. You tell Equalizer that their customer service has to improve or another brand will be used. I am just an annoyance so I can’t get an answer as to where I can het this fixed. Perhaps may 48 years in the fire service has altered my expectations. If a citizen of Dallas called 9-11 and we literally didn’t run out the door and come to their aid immediately then we had violated our duty. As a chief, I never tolerated half efforts. This wasn’t anything near as critical but all I was expecting was a phone call. Too much?

Battchief
Chief, as a retired firefighter, I understand your perspective. But there's no way you can expect the same thing from any retail business, especially the woeful RV Industry. Fire Service is on a way higher level and should be..
Consider yourself fortunate that you have a product from one of the best RV manufacturers around. There's no other FR brand that even comes close to Dynamax customer satisfaction.
The rest of us would kill to have half the support Dynamax owners get.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #12

If the pinnacle of retail customer service is an unanswered voicemail, then the bar has been lowered significantly. I think Dynamax is producing a good product. That is why I chose the Isata 3 over several other brands. The RV industry can do better in several areas and customer service is one of them. I have a vested interest in seeing Dynamax rise to the top of the industry. There are no prizes for being the best of the worst. I commend Bclemens for taking the time to answer questions and solve problems. I know of situations where he initiated a call to a vendor about a problem. I wouldn’t waste my time posting these issues if I didn’t think he will look at the problem from all sides. I would start by giving Equalizer a call.

Battchief
Old 06-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #13
Señor Miembro

I had the same problem where my RV was stuck up in the air for a week with all the wheels off the ground. I was lucky in that it happened in my driveway so we just had to cancel yet another family trip. It would have been much worse out on the road.

My short term solution was to crack loose the hydraulic hose fittings to release the pressure and push the pads up in place. Then re-tighten the fittings so the jacks couldn't fall back down due to the suction they'd create in a closed hydraulic system..

Long Term plan - I haven't done it yet (too many other problems I'm trying to fix) but on my list is to weld retracting springs on the jacks. Same as what a lot of motor homes have. One spring end attached to the foot pad and one end to the frame or jack mounting plate. Then if the system ever fails again, all you have to do is unscrew one of the hydraulic line fittings so the pressure is released and the spring will pull the jack(s) back up and your'e back on the road.

Equalizer brags about how their system is better than spring retract because it is a hydraulic powered retract so the jacks can't get stuck down in freezing ice or heavy mud. But down side is when their system breaks, there isn't any manual over ride.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
My apologies you had to encounter this, but a few things to consider.

With all new vehicles we provide Safe Ride (previously it was Coachnet) for situations like this. They are the emergency contact/triage to just get things unbroken enough to keep moving. I recommend people continue with that, or alternatives when on the road.

You can't really call Ford Motor Company and get an emergency hotline, you would have AAA or a similar roadside assistance as Ford would also work normal office hours.

I certainly understand that you were just looking for troubleshooting support and it is frustrating if you are not getting that. That is one of the reasons that many companies have tried to provide as many troubleshooting videos & "how to's" as possible. That is also part of the customer service response. I know Equalizer has a couple of videos on manual retraction for their systems. In my almost 20 years, I have thankfully only seen 2-3 times where jacks failed to retract in a "dire straits" sort of way like this...it's not a situation that anyone is really set up for.

Who, when did you call Dynamax?

I have talked about having a 24hr line for things like this...but finding someone with knowledge in ALL areas of everyone's components is almost impossible to find... we need a good and bored retired person.
Saferide? Not sure we have their contact info or if we are signed up. Is that the same as the Forrest River Roadside Assistance? 1 866 209 2895
msusslin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #15
Motorized GM

Same thing...actually called SafeRide. This is the link on every Forest River brand page.
https://forestriverinc.com/downloads/roadside.pdf
Old 06-23-2021, 04:20 PM   #16

I suspect someone gave Equalizer a heads up as they called early this morning. After hearing the symptoms, the preliminary diagnosis was a bad contactor and to confirm I needed to make a jumper wire and test battery positive to blue and green wires. I crawled under the RV again and made a jumper wire at the expense of a portable fan cord. Probably 16ga. The test failed, only clicks when jumper applied as instructed. So to confirm that motor is toast, I was instructed to disconnect wires to motor and use jumper wires to connect motor terminals. I did and the motor buzzed but did not turn. I would love to know if that means motor needs replacing or if 16ga wire does not supply the amperage needed for the motor to turn (the wiring that normally provides power looks like 4-0) but my repeated attempts to reconnect with Equalizer were in vain. They did inform me to find a Forest River dealership versus anyone else and to only use their parts for repair. Of course you first have to know which part you need. It also appears that there are no Forest River dealers in Maine. I think the spring idea has merit considering Equalizer’s manual option for retracting levelers. I have so many bruises on my back and arms from multiple trips under the RV that the first question a doctor would ask is “do you feel safe at home”

Battchief
Old 06-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I have so many bruises on my back and arms from multiple trips under the RV that the first question a doctor would ask is “do you feel safe at home”
Chief, despite your troubles, I had to laugh at this!
Old 06-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #18
Motorized GM

Quote:
I suspect someone gave Equalizer a heads up as they called early this morning.

Battchief
Not from us, I have not spoken with anyone at equalizer.

1. from your later post it appeared they had reached out.
2. I also did not say anything to my people at the time. You had mentioned that you called at 4, but did not leave a message. Then you said you called again and left a message but had never indicated at what time on day two, other than after you had reached out to equalizer multiple times.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #19
Motorized GM

Quote:
It also appears that there are no Forest River dealers in Maine.
Battchief
Dealer locator, found here...
https://dynamaxcorp.com/dealer-locator/isata-3

Shows the following.
Harvey RVs
2992 Broadway
Glenburn, ME 04401
207-990-5081
https://www.harveyrvs.com/
Old 06-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #20

Welp I think this thread has run its course

Full-time Dynamax Resident
FOURWHL is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, service