Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Power Drain despite being on shore power

Read a lot of posts in here and subsequently learning a lot. However, this is a new one for us.

Came back to our 19 Dynamax Isata 5 to find front A/C unit on but not operating. Rear A/C unit still running. We are hooked up to 50 amp shore. Multiplex display for line-in claimed we had 50 amp shore power. Batteries were draining rapidly. Checked all fuses and breakers. All ok. Did a quick “wiggle” test on wiring around inverter and all seems ok. Started generator and everything back to normal.
This is a nightmare scenario as we leave our Goldens in the rig to go play quite frequently. It’s 90 outside where we are. The coach was rapidly heating up. We have AGS setup but I hate to think what would happen if it didn’t kick in. Plus, I have to remember to setup AGS every time I cut the batteries. Any ideas?
JrodMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #2

Addendum: If the generator is running, all is well. If it is not, batteries are not charging except for solar. I’ve reset the connection at the post. Our Uber expensive camco surge protector tells me all is well.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

I would start checking voltage between shore power post and automatic transfer switch for a bad connection on one of the hot phase. It could also be the transfer switch contacts that are not making properly when connected to shore power.

This thread might help you figure out issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tch-93549.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #4

Another option for some peace of mind with the pups https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AQ...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. We definitely need a temperature monitor. Tremendous piece of mind.
Looking like a transfer switch. Known common problem that is new(s) to me. Generator tonight and hopefully fixed ASAP.
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #6

If you think it is the transfer switch you can check fairly easily. (assume you have the same switch) Cover pops off and you can see the relays work or not and check voltage on output side. Here is the thread on my issue and replacement.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...in-183663.html

Tags
drain, power, shore power