Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Precision Plex problem

So I tried to put out my awning with the PP panel and it didn’t move. Checked the main panel and instead of text there are all rectangles. Tried the power off reset and when I opened the battery disconnect the power will not go off. A/C power was also off

Any suggestions ?????

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU toad
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Commercial Member

If it is a bright day and solar is putting out some decent juice...the lights can still operate with the disconnect off, depending on state of charge for the batteries. Once a battery looks like it is not in a charge state, the solenoid should unlatch.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #3

My understanding is that if I turn the battery disconnect switch to “off” it should kill all the 12V power. Am I mistaken? How do I reset the PP panel? I shut off shore power before turning the disconnect to off.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Commercial Member

You are somewhat correct. The disconnect is hardware and software based. If it thinks the batteries are charging it does not want to disconnect the charge line. In certain situations, the software side of things can keep things connected while it thinks it is charging the batteries. The solar charger is connected this way and can be charging the batteries, so it keeps things connected until its done. If you do this at night...it should work.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #5

So do I understand this right?

If I’m leaving my coach for a week I cannot disconnect the batteries?

Is it a “hard disconnect “ ( turn the switch and batteries are disconnected) or “soft” (batteries are on until something detects voltage is low)

Sounds like I need to change the switch.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
Commercial Member

No...if you leave for a week you can disconnect the batteries and be fine. What I am referring to is just a temporary thing. Last for about 30-60 minutes. The issue is complicated by solar.

You can change the switch and that won't change anything. It is a hard wired switch. It just happens to be where the solar ties into the system.

And there is both a hardwired disconnect and then there is the BIRD (Bi-Directional Relay) that controls the charge line. Solar and the multiplex both come in on the same harness and connect to a terminal that goes to the BIRD. The disconnect is BEFORE that so when you hit the disconnect, it can still charge with solar.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #7

This is the switch, also a pic of the main PP panel and the one in the wet bay.

Doesn’t matter what position the switch is in, day or night I still have 12V in the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2227D6D5-F06F-4B8D-BAC1-5666B67D115E.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	186332   Click image for larger version

Name:	766CF5E5-94C1-4BD2-A2AA-5B5DD4E083F5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	186333   Click image for larger version

Name:	2209EFAF-1AA1-4FF3-8BDA-8B549CE51452.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	186334  

Old 09-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
Commercial Member

12V all the time? have you tried disconnecting and giving it an hour or two? If it doesn't go off after a delay, then something could be wired wrong to the BIRD. Hard to tell....

the other issue could be, if that tank level display gets wet...it does all sorts of goofy things. With the text on there, it looks like it may have gotten wet and needs replaced. I might start there first. Just like the switches...all of that is daisy chained and communicates with each other. If it got wet/shorted, then it could be disrupting the main panel somehow.

PM me your contact info, I'll see if I can just shoot out that display...see what replacing that does.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #9

We have a similar situation in ours. The power would never shut off and the batteries would drain when in storage. There are some much older threads on this. One of the other member's suggestions was to run power after you have unplugged and shut off the disconnect. Last time I needed the 12V off I left the inverter on and ran the microwave for a minute. This pulled the voltage down fast on the batteries and the voltage switched off.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #10

You may need to move the solar, directly to the batteries.
When my disconnect was installed, they wired the solar to the disconnected side.
This allowed the solar to completely power the 12v side, without the batteries.

I moved the solar wire back to the batteries, and now, when switch is turned, coach is dead. Period.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #11

Why is there no switch to isolate (disconnect) the solar charger from the battery bank?
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #12

There may be.. but the way it may be wired, causes the solar to feed the circuits.. like having another battery.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
There may be.. but the way it may be wired, causes the solar to feed the circuits.. like having another battery.
Correct...We wanted the solar to feed so that if you store it, the solar would keep working and trickle charging the batteries to keep them fresh. We have talked about a separate disconnect for solar, but again, but there is a little concern people will hit that and forget about it.

On the bright side...staying connected means your batteries are really well charged or the solar is working really well.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #14

It sounds like his solar is connected to the load side of his disco switch.
So, when disconnected, the solar is still powering the loads, and not charging the battery..

How it sounds....
Old 09-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #15

The solar charge wire on the 5...
Is it attached to battery, or to the bcc?

My 4 was attached to the battery. When the disco was connected the techs moved it to the load side of the disconnect.

When disconnected, the solar provided the power to the whole coach.
Moved it back to the battery, now when I hit the disco, the coach goes dead.

That maybe the issue.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
12V all the time? have you tried disconnecting and giving it an hour or two? If it doesn't go off after a delay, then something could be wired wrong to the BIRD. Hard to tell....

the other issue could be, if that tank level display gets wet...it does all sorts of goofy things. With the text on there, it looks like it may have gotten wet and needs replaced. I might start there first. Just like the switches...all of that is daisy chained and communicates with each other. If it got wet/shorted, then it could be disrupting the main panel somehow.

PM me your contact info, I'll see if I can just shoot out that display...see what replacing that does.
We’re on the road heading for Utah and Arizona. I’ll send an address in Tucson where I can pick it up. Thanks for the help!