Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Propane quick disconnect (Before or After)

Right now, what most, if not all OEM's do, is take a line off of an LP manifold to provide an LP quick disconnect. This is pretty simple to install, comes after the regulator. Being treated like any post regulator device, you can also use this port for a manometer test. You can hook it to a grill without the need for an additional regulator. (Con is...if you have a standard LP tank grill you have to remove the regulator, otherwise it doesn't want to work)

What "some" customers have installed is this...
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59123-P.../dp/B0014JG7RQ

This is a port that would go AHEAD of the regulator to serve two purposes.
1. It is a quick disconnect on the high pressure side. This means you can use a normal grill with regulator. You could NOT use an RV style grill with no regulator.
2. You can hook up a portable LP tank, that being on the high pressure side would allow you to feed into the RV regulator, thus extending your LP usage without refilling. Granted...most tanks aren't all that big for portable so I'm not sure how many people would benefit.

I would rather do one or the other, not both...because I would not want someone hooking up to the wrong port. Low pressure seems to be the safest side...but I know people install this one.

Opinions or experience with the extend-a-stay?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I guess it depends...

If you're an old timer camper, where you already have plenty of high pressure devices (grill/camp stove/ lantern/fryers/etc.) then the Extend-A Stay might make some sense being you already own most of those accessories, therefore connecting them 'may' be a bit easier than lugging an extra propane tank around. (although that's what many of us have been doing for years)

Newer (newbie) campers have way more low pressure choices available to them today so the low pressure port really comes in handy.

My personal opinion... I've always felt the Extend-A Stay port was geared more towards increasing the capacity of the on-board propane (hence the name) rather than being an outlet for accessories.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

Our coach has a Low pressure quick-connect already installed.

What I did was install a regular high pressure disconnect so I can remove my tanks and regulator in the winter for storage. It's not a three way tap like the extend-a-stay, but it at least gives me the option to pull right off the tank if I really needed to.

I concur with 5picker, depends on what you have or think you'll want to operate. I personally like having both because it gives me more options should the need arise.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #4

It’s pretty easy to convert a Weber q bbq to work with low pressure disconnect by removing regulator.
Bought a ranger 2 stove on amazon and just skipped regulator
Much better than any Coleman stove. I say leave as is.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #5

I ran a line from the quick connect to the passenger side, hook up our Weber q.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I ran a line from the quick connect to the passenger side, hook up our Weber q.
I think we run that now...but also, at one time we ran two. One was for our gas test and then we extended to the passenger side for a quick connect. Not saying yours was that way, but someone ran one, only to find they already had one.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

So BC am I to understand that my 2017 Isata 3 quick connection is already regulated and I can remove the regulators from my camp stove and fire pit?
Bill Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Yes, but if they are working fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes if it is going through another pressure regulator it can drop the pressure too low and it doesn't operate.

Have you noticed any issues?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #9

Not on the fire pit. Haven't tried the grill yet. I have a little Colman and I haven't run out of canisters for it yet.
Bill Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

They will not work with 2 regulators. I know because the salesman said they would, but I can tell you from personal experience they won’t. Once you remove the stoves/bbq regulator, both devices worked perfectly, and it’s so convenient to use onboard propane
Vs carrying bottles.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #11

Cool, so the new hd may have a hose already. Love surprises, sometimes.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #12

I have the extend a stay you linked. That’s my vote. I like being able to run any grill I want or even lately this baby https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Ou.../dp/B00DYN0438

Not interested in having to modify every piece of eqiup I decide to try/use.

I’ll spend a week in Breck in feb will be the first time I’ll probably use an external tank. Campground there has a service that’ll provide a big one and keep it filled. Should work nice as I’ll burn through mine in a couple of days if temps are cold like they can be.

One complaint you’ll run into is the location of the tank is not great for grilling. I work around it by just using two camco hoses to reach the awning area but I can see others peferring the quick disconnect right there on the passenger side.

Either way not a huge deal. Installing after market took a whopping 5 min
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #13

Tony is installing mine under the awning beside the front entrance steps, this will give me easy access and I'll be out of the rain...

No issues whatsoever in 13 yrs using my Olympian SS RV Grill under my 5th wheel awning...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #14

I haven't done yet but that is on my list of projects. I thought tapping into the manifold because I didn't want to run another line or get a long enough hose to reach from drivers to passenger side. Interested to hear others ideas. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:49 PM   #15
Happy Camper

I converted my WEBER 2000 series grill to camper LP supply without any problems. I have a connection hose that goes to the camper gas supply line under my 321DHTS outside kitchen.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
Commercial Member

OK...well this might be a moot point. I stumbled onto my service guys running a manometer test.

They have a contraption they assemble...it is a portable tank with a regulator, gauge and quick connect hose. They shut off the factory LP and hook this up to test the pressure (without dissembling any ports that would really need retested after) This can also back feed all the devices from the portable tank regulator. So no need to add the extend-a-stay (unless you want to of course). If you want to carry extra LP for the furnace, just hook this in and feed everything from the other side of the regulator. We use this method to run the furnace or appliances without filling the onboard LP tank (that needs to be empty for shows, etc).

Learn something new every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	161236  

Old 02-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
OK...well this might be a moot point. I stumbled onto my service guys running a manometer test.

They have a contraption they assemble...it is a portable tank with a regulator, gauge and quick connect hose. They shut off the factory LP and hook this up to test the pressure (without dissembling any ports that would really need retested after) This can also back feed all the devices from the portable tank regulator. So no need to add the extend-a-stay (unless you want to of course). If you want to carry extra LP for the furnace, just hook this in and feed everything from the other side of the regulator. We use this method to run the furnace or appliances without filling the onboard LP tank (that needs to be empty for shows, etc).

Learn something new every day.
So they are connecting this to an existing quick connect that would normally be an outlet for the on-board propane tank?
I suppose the regulated back pressure wouldn't have any adverse effect on the rigs regulator?
Interesting and also a work around if your main tank or regulator has an issue.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
So they are connecting this to an existing quick connect that would normally be an outlet for the on-board propane tank?
I suppose the regulated back pressure wouldn't have any adverse effect on the rigs regulator?
Interesting and also a work around if your main tank or regulator has an issue.
Correct. It is a regulated supply (low pressure) feeding into the low pressure side. basically, instead of feeding off of the on board tank, you reverse the system and feed off of a mobile tank.

I just used that same method to shoot our aqua hot video. We turned off the main tank and used ours.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #19

i have a 2017 DX3...does it have 2 quick disconnects for the propane tank?
timf1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #20
Commercial Member

no...just one. low pressure fitting. So you would have to use a regulated tank or an unregulated grill.

Tags
propane