Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2024, 03:54 PM   #1

Queen Sized Mattress in a Europa 31ss

we really love most things about the Europa 31SS, but feel that it's a little tight getting around the bed to the closet, and to make it. I know someone asked if a queen conversion had been done on facebook, and we have the pointers to the company (Tochta that can make one), but I wondered has anyone done it, what do you think? Do you have photos?

thank you
1998 Monaco Windsor 34PST
gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #2

Don't have your rig, but I'm curious.
Are you talking about replacing the king mattress with a queen mattress? Any queen mattress can be used, but you're going to be about 16" difference in the width.
You could also replace that king mattress with two twin mattresses which would make them easier to make, but not make getting around it easier.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:33 AM   #3

We've thought about this as well but we didn't think it would be shorter, just narrower. During this year's FMCA Rally in Tucson, we talked to a vendor that has a tilt bed solution that will work in our rigs. We ended up passing on it only because, as brilliant as the design is - mostly, it is held up by a cargo strap when the slide is in. We don't use our bed when traveling so don't need access to it to lay down but it would be nice to get to the breaker panel, drawers, and closet when the bedroom slide is in. The good news is with the new slide controllers in our rig, the slides do not need to go all the way out or all the way in but this doesn't help when driving. The ability to extend the slide 6 or so inches at a rest stop is very convenient. That said, I wish Dynamax put a lift/tilt bed in the 31SS. I have heard the rationale that it would block the escape window but that is perplexing to me considering you would be hard pressed to hop over the folded bed in an emergency to get to and out the window. Maybe this is because, for us, the only time we ever unfold the bed is when we go to sleep. It seems to me they could have also put an escape window in the bathroom in lieu of the window there now. This way a lift/tilt bed could be used. I look forward to hearing the input from others concerning your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
we really love most things about the Europa 31SS, but feel that it's a little tight getting around the bed to the closet, and to make it. I know someone asked if a queen conversion had been done on facebook, and we have the pointers to the company (Tochta that can make one), but I wondered has anyone done it, what do you think? Do you have photos?

thank you
AZFoxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 11:44 AM   #4
Commercial Member

can't go through a door for an emergency exit...so bathroom would not comply. We are testing a tilt-a-bed now. Don't love that on the one we are looking at (same as Georgetown) that it raises the bed 5". Poses some issues on some floor plans. So still exploring.

FYI RV's take some liberties with King. King is 76"x80, Cali King is 72"x84. most King's in RV's, are 72". So only 12" wider than a Queen...but still more room around.

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 12:09 PM   #5

I'm sure there is an official documented safety code for this specific instance. I still don't agree but glad you are looking at a tilt-a-bed because the escape window is useless when the bedroom slide is in. This wasn't and isn't a deal breaker for us as we love our Europa but not contending with this issue of not being able to access the drawers and closet when the slide is in would have made, in our opinion, the 31SS perfect. The 32KD design doesn't appeal to us at all and we absolutely do not want a bigger rig. We are happy with the compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
can't go through a door for an emergency exit...so bathroom would not comply. We are testing a tilt-a-bed now. Don't love that on the one we are looking at (same as Georgetown) that it raises the bed 5". Poses some issues on some floor plans. So still exploring.

FYI RV's take some liberties with King. King is 76"x80, Cali King is 72"x84. most King's in RV's, are 72". So only 12" wider than a Queen...but still more room around.
AZFoxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 12:35 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoxes View Post
I'm sure there is an official documented safety code for this specific instance. I still don't agree but glad you are looking at a tilt-a-bed because the escape window is useless when the bedroom slide is in. This wasn't and isn't a deal breaker for us as we love our Europa but not contending with this issue of not being able to access the drawers and closet when the slide is in would have made, in our opinion, the 31SS perfect. The 32KD design doesn't appeal to us at all and we absolutely do not want a bigger rig. We are happy with the compromise.
If I recall correctly, the emergency exit is only required to be accessible in "sleeping mode". So you would not need to jump over the folded mattress. The issue with the tilt-a-bed, is the feature of being able to sleep elevated to reduce snoring? I am not sure that is a deal breaker yet, we have not gotten that far down into the weeds.

With a tilt a bed, you would not have any better access to the wardrobe or breaker panel with the slide in. Unless you just think it would be easier to crawl over the foot of the bed, vs. folded mattress.

The only way to correct that, would be to move the wardrobe and drawers to the center of the coach like the 24FW Isata 3 Series. Then it is all accessible with the slide in. We can move the exit window to the rear wall and we can do whatever we want with the bed.

Old 06-12-2024, 01:28 PM   #7

Derailing my own thread here a bit, but I was curious about that emergency exit, I think it's been said elsewhere it can't be openable for some reason, but it has a screen over it, if you can't just open it why bother to screen it? Also the reason I heard for it not being openable in general is something around being near the exhaust, yet the bathroom window on the 31SS is openable, and it's on the same side as the exhaust pipe, if it's about exhaust when park the two side windows in the slide are also openable and on the same side as the escape window.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:41 PM   #8
Commercial Member

You're sort of mixing 3 conversations.

1. Exit windows are certainly openable...just don't open to 90 degrees or they can lock up
2. The screen has nothing to do with exit windows, we cannot screen a rear window due to potential back draft exhaust.
3. side windows are perfectly fine...when you are driving, exhaust gasses are swept backwards. If you are parked, there is nothing forcing the gases into the motorhome (like back draft can).

Old 06-12-2024, 03:37 PM   #9

Since the topic has veered into this, wardrobe access with the slide in is the only significant negative of the 31SS for us. Even once you do the gymnastics of climbing over the bed, opening the wardrobe is very limited. I remember Brian did a video on an early Isata 5 30FW with its very similar floor plan, and it had sliding doors for the wardrobe. It looked like it provide significantly improved access with the slide in. Did those sliding doors rattle when in transit or have other issues?
Old 06-12-2024, 03:46 PM   #10
Commercial Member

The sliding door latches were a health hazard as sharp as they were...by time we found a suitable alternative we were already onto hinged doors.

Also, in the event you were trying to get to clothes at the same time (not frequent, but it did happen), the slider made that impossible.

I'll circle back on that and run it past sales. Or again, you move the bed to the rear, and put a single wardrobe in the middle. Likely not as many drawers though.

At least good feedback we can discuss.

Old 06-12-2024, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
The sliding door latches were a health hazard as sharp as they were...by time we found a suitable alternative we were already onto hinged doors.

Also, in the event you were trying to get to clothes at the same time (not frequent, but it did happen), the slider made that impossible.

I'll circle back on that and run it past sales. Or again, you move the bed to the rear, and put a single wardrobe in the middle. Likely not as many drawers though.

At least good feedback we can discuss.
Thanks for the explanation. I guessed the was some issue with sliding doors.

Looking at the 24FW, I think you are on to something. If applied to the Europa, I assume it would still utilize two slides, with the bedroom slide just moved further aft on the chassis. Would the wardrobe be located in the stationary bulkhead separating the two slides?
Old 06-12-2024, 10:30 PM   #12

Quote:

This is good, one thing we found as we were looking in the rig this evening was our mattress had slide a good four inches away from the wall with the window, shoving it back in made a nice difference, looking at if we narrowed this up a bit we would likely have to cut the platform down that it slide on as well otherwise you'd still be hitting this, I don't know if it's possible to do that, but if you did not it feels like you would be still running into that side of it and not getting a lot more room between the bed and the cupboard, and the bed and the forward wall.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:51 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by png31 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I guessed the was some issue with sliding doors.

Looking at the 24FW, I think you are on to something. If applied to the Europa, I assume it would still utilize two slides, with the bedroom slide just moved further aft on the chassis. Would the wardrobe be located in the stationary bulkhead separating the two slides?
correct. You would likely lose "hers and hers" wardrobes and have a single. With 2-3 drawers underneath.

Old 06-13-2024, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
correct. You would likely lose "hers and hers" wardrobes and have a single. With 2-3 drawers underneath.
If the exit window was then moved to the back wall, a shorter window above the head board would provide room for cabinets, gaining back some bedroom storage, and satisfying those concerned about CPAP equipment.

Tags
europa, size