Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2022, 05:27 PM   #1

Question about a used Dynamax Force-DX3

Hello Folks,

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a used Dynamax (Force or DX3) and I'm having some trouble finding information for models that are 4-6 years old. Specifically, I'm trying to understand the difference between the Force and DX3 (other than price). It's pretty easy to watch (Youtube) and read about the newer models, but as they start to age, that information becomes harder to find.

If I could trouble you all with some questions that would be great.

1. Do the letters (TS, FK, RB, etc) in the model names stand for anything? I think RB stands for Rear Bath and TS stands for Triple Slide, but I'm not positive that is true across all years and models.

2. Is there a Dynamax-specific list of problem areas that can be referenced when looking at older Super Cs?

3. Are there specific years that are considered revolutionary as opposed to evolutionary? For example, in older class A diesels, the pre-DEF engines can be worth more. I'm probably not looking at anything older than a 2016, but I'm curious if there were significant changes made over the last 6 years.

Any other tips and hints would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Take care,
Lee
Grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouser View Post
Hello Folks,

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a used Dynamax (Force or DX3) and I'm having some trouble finding information for models that are 4-6 years old. Specifically, I'm trying to understand the difference between the Force and DX3 (other than price). It's pretty easy to watch (Youtube) and read about the newer models, but as they start to age, that information becomes harder to find.

If I could trouble you all with some questions that would be great.

1. Do the letters (TS, FK, RB, etc) in the model names stand for anything? I think RB stands for Rear Bath and TS stands for Triple Slide, but I'm not positive that is true across all years and models.

2. Is there a Dynamax-specific list of problem areas that can be referenced when looking at older Super Cs?

3. Are there specific years that are considered revolutionary as opposed to evolutionary? For example, in older class A diesels, the pre-DEF engines can be worth more. I'm probably not looking at anything older than a 2016, but I'm curious if there were significant changes made over the last 6 years.

Any other tips and hints would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Take care,
Lee
I’m sure you’ll get lots of replies. One thing you can look at is go to the Dynamax website and look at the archived brochures. That will help you with floor plans.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks, Bill

I was not aware of the archived brochures. I took a look at the Dynamax website and in the 2017 menu, they only have DX3 and the REV brochures available. I was needing to look at the Force. Oddly enough they have the brochure for 2016 and 2018. I'll use those as a reference.

Thanks for the help,
Lee
Old 08-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #4

I went through the 2016 and 2018 Force brochures and they are identical until you get to page 8. On the last page, the "Buy Local" artwork was changed.

Can I infer that the 2016, 2017, and 2018 Dynamax Force are identical?

Thanks,
Lee
Old 08-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouser View Post
I went through the 2016 and 2018 Force brochures and they are identical until you get to page 8. On the last page, the "Buy Local" artwork was changed.

Can I infer that the 2016, 2017, and 2018 Dynamax Force are identical?

Thanks,
Lee
Yes, I would say they would be fairly close. Dynamax does make running changes throughout the model year. If they see something that needs changed they will make that change immediately. They won’t keep producing a known issue waiting for a model year change. So the basic coach will be the same but will likely have some changes or modifications as the need arises. That one of the great things about Dynamax. A lot of their changes come from owner input plus the GM test camps as well and makes changes he sees as an issue.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 02:48 PM   #6

Like Bill, I suspect that you'll get lots of replies. I'll take an initial stab at your specific questions, and others will certainly correct what I get wrong.

1. Correct - the letters represent the floor plans across the year models you reference. TS - three slide, RB - rear bath, BH - bunk house, FK - I was never sure about that one...Front Kitchen, maybe? In that year range, there was also a 35 DS...dual slide short overall length offering.

2. I don't know about a 'Dynamax specific list of problem areas', but I'd go out on a limb and say that you're in the right place. This forum and the content that's been archived here over the years has got to be the single largest collection of the information you're looking for on the web. Play around with the search function (specific to this particular forum), and you'll likely find all the info you want.

3. I wouldn't say there were any real 'revolutionary' changes in the year models you reference...certainly no DEF changes (as they were all DEF based, obviously). I would point out some drive train and chassis differences, though, which you are likely already familiar with. In that year range (I think up through 2018) the Force was actually comprised of two options - the regular Force and the Force HD. The Force utilized the M2-106 28k GVWR /33k GCWR chassis which came with the Cummins 6.7L and Allison 2500 series transmission. The Force HD chassis in that range (and the only Force offered any longer) utilized the same M2-106 33k GVWR / 54k GCWR chassis which came with the larger Cummins 8.9L and Allison 3200 series transmission. Also, keep in mind that during that time frame the DX3's could be optioned with the 450HP/1250 ft-lb spec'd Cummins 8.9L (vs.the 350HP/1000ft-lb version mentioned above) that's been standard in the XL's from that time frame up through today. Those are unicorns, but there are a handful floating around out there. With regards to major 'engine' changes, that has only occurred over the past year or two with the swap from the Cummins 8.9L in the DX3 and Force (HD) to the Detroit DD8.

In regards to specific differences between the Force and DX3 during that time period, it seems like most of the differences were related to upgraded interior materials (flooring, cabinets, etc). The Force was only available with propane (for heat, cook top, and hot water), but the DX3 offered an all electric option that originally came with a propane fueled aquahot unit which was later replaced with a diesel version. This option package included an induction cook top (and induction cookware) eliminated propane from the coach altogether, and made it a single fuel source coach as the coach, generator, and aquahot were all diesel and pulled from the chassis fuel tanks. The DX3 also came with a roof mounted (vs side mounted) awning as well as false awning boxes for exterior aesthetics. Some of the later DX3's in this range also came with upgraded multiplex wiring.

Hope that helps.

JT
Old 08-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #7

The 2015 and prior Force had the smaller 6.7l engine. You want to look for Force HD to get the larger 8.9l engine which started with the 2016 model year.

Tags
dx3, dynamax, question