Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #1

Question on the TRC Transfer Switch 2019 I5 DS

I couldn't find any info on the thumb drive about the TRC Transfer Switch. I looked online and if I understand this correctly this switch is also a Surge Protector for the whole coach? If that's true I don't need the portable one I've been using to protect the electronics in the coach?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	192342  
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
I couldn't find any info on the thumb drive about the TRC Transfer Switch. I looked online and if I understand this correctly this switch is also a Surge Protector for the whole coach? If that's true I don't need the portable one I've been using to protect the electronics in the coach?
THere are the details
TRC SURGE GUARD 41260 50 AMP 120/240 VOLT AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH WITH SURGE PROTECTION
The Surge guard 41260 Protects your RV bumper to bumper from the most damaging common electrical faults from faulty park power such as open neutral and reverse polarity. The unit ensures continuous power to your coach by monitoring shore power and automatically switching to generator power when it detects electrical issues that could impact performance of equipment in your motorhome. The 41260 provides basic surge protection of 2600 joules at 76,400 Amps and has a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer.
Free Shipping
50 Amp 120/240 60Hz
Open Neutral Protection
Reversed Polarity Protection
Multi-mode Surge Suppression
Time Delay at Power Up: (Shore Power 3-4 Sec., Generator Power 30 Sec.)
50 FLA Rated Contactors (Full inductive load rated)
Mechanical Interlocking Contactors
Electrical Interlocked Control Circuit
Black Heavy-Duty Plastic Enclosure
Rugged Construction
UL Approved ATS - full transfer switch rating, UL1008, (not general control)
Basic Surge Protection: 2600 Joules at 76,400 Amps
Dimensions: 12.75" x 8.84" x 5.21"
1 Year Warranty

Your dyanamax already has a transfer switch to go from shore power to Generator. This is only a surge protector and transfer switch. It only protects from high voltage spikes. You will more likely see low voltage conditions. Not and EMS. It will not protect from low voltage. Save your money and get a full EMS system unless that is what you already have.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Commercial Member

The other issue is...if that surge guard sees a spike...it sacrifices an electronics board inside. So there is no resetting and moving on, you'll have gen power only. It is there to protect the interior electronic components from a major disaster and that board needs replaced. Not something just anyone can do.

Having and external system would handle all other other possible issues that can arise.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #4

Thanks BC, so the answer is we have an onboard surge protector that if it gets a hit it will fry the board (expensive to replace). So go ahead and protect the switch and whole coach with a plug in surge protector. I don't have anything on my thumb drive on my switch is it on the newest version?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
Commercial Member

The board is not really all that expensive to replace...it acts a sacrificial lamb, its just finding someone to do it if you're in the middle of a trip.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Thanks BC, so the answer is we have an onboard surge protector that if it gets a hit it will fry the board (expensive to replace). So go ahead and protect the switch and whole coach with a plug in surge protector. I don't have anything on my thumb drive on my switch is it on the newest version?
You do not want a surge protector. You want an ems. They are two intirily different things. A surge protector protect from high voltage spikes only.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #7

Electromagnetic Management System?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 11-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #8

Electrical Management System

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...s=rv+ems&psc=1

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

I have one of those, I didn't know it by that name and called it a surge protector. Actually does the same thing as the one in the coach but once fried you can't reset the one in the coach.
Days camped 2021 = 25

Tags
switch, transfer switch