Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #1

RAM 5500 Service

I know I've seen posts about this before but I can't seem to find them. Is there a list or search tool of RAM Dealerships who service the 5500? I have a check engine light.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #2

I have not found one. What I did was go to the RAM website and search for nearby dealers with 5500s in stock as a starting point. If they cannot do an RV, they should be able to tell you who can.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #3

Use RAM Find A Dealer to locate dealers who sell the 5500 chassis.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/find-dealer.html
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:15 PM   #4

Just because a dealer sells the 5500 does not mean they can or will service an RV built on one - as I have learned. Most of the RAM dealers in my area are not equipped to handle units of this size. Still trying to find one who can. Make sure you call ahead and describe in detail the size of your unit.

I just did a roundtrip on Friday to a dealer who said it would fit in the bays and on their equipment. I pulled up and he was like "oh yeah, we can't fit that in here."

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #5

You just have to call and ask the Service Manager. Don’t take to a scheduler or someone who is not knowledgeable.

I live outside a small town in S Texas, but fortunately we have one of the largest RAM truck dealers in Texas in a town of 80,000.

They have I think four large truck bays in a separate commercial service center where they just work on large trucks. All the RAM 1500/2500 get serviced in another area. Just a great dealer that bent over backwards to service an oversized vehicle. The tech told me they service a lot of ambulances on the 5500 chassis.

Here is my Isata 5 in the bay. They actually turned it around to be able to raise it up to a working height which you can see in the video below. The 19,500 lbs was no issue for their lift.

I posted this video a few months ago of them working on the RAM.

https://app.truvideo.com/v/coHMYT?s=...SR&jwsource=em
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	482FF64B-E7F8-4834-AE38-0993FAF3624B.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	248548  
Old 02-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
I know I've seen posts about this before but I can't seem to find them. Is there a list or search tool of RAM Dealerships who service the 5500? I have a check engine light.
Do you have a DTC? Do you have a code reader to read the DTC code?

Try this one if you do not have one; Alfa OBD II reader but you will need this cable also for 2018 and up Ram trucks. To bypass the block that was installed by RAM on 2018 trucks and up for reading the DTC codes on the truck.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/...harness-short/

Now you may have an 2017 truck with a 2018 Dynamax chassis. You will need to find the build date of the truck chassis to be sure. if you have a2017 truck chassis than you will not need the cable to use the Alfa OBD II reader.

If you want I can send a list of 2018 engine DTC codes to you. PM me and I will send the list to you.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #7

Thanks,
I have 2017 chassis. I ordered an OBD2 reader yesterday but it's a different one. Hopefully it will work. I may call on you if I have trouble.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
Commercial Member

I spoke with our Head of Dynamax Warranty/Service just now. He told me the best way to find a RAM dealer who will service RVs is to call RAM directly (1-800-521-2779). Let them know you have an RV and are looking for the nearest RAM Service Center with large enough bays to accommodate RV service. They'll track down the one or two closest to you and you'll be all set.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
JGraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGraber View Post
RAM (1-800-521-2779)
This a Roadside Assistance phone number.

They provide the same directory of service centers as a RAM google search. The first four they mentioned were the same four local service centers I have been in contact with.

In other words... that number is not any help.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 03-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #10
Commercial Member

A while back, I was given an email for Mopar when we needed to escalate service issues. (IE, can't find a dealer with the facilities to service an RV).

Recently I got an email back from another address.

uscustomercare@fcagroup.com

When we first reached out, we got a response with the following questions. (Having this data in advance might expedite things)

A good zip code for where you are at? =
Approx. height of vehicle =
Approx. width of vehicle =
Approx. length of vehicle =
Approx. weight of vehicle =

Using this data, I will use contacts that are region specific to help find someone that can assist.

So, if you are not having luck on your own, then this might be a good source.

Maybe we need to add a thread of KNOWN good service centers.

Haley CDJR
5400 S Laburnum Ave
Richmond, VA 23231

804-655-2516

On the case in question, this was the dealer that was recommended and confirmed that they were ready to handle the RV.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
A while back, I was given an email for Mopar when we needed to escalate service issues. (IE, can't find a dealer with the facilities to service an RV).

Recently I got an email back from another address.

uscustomercare@fcagroup.com

When we first reached out, we got a response with the following questions. (Having this data in advance might expedite things)

A good zip code for where you are at? =
Approx. height of vehicle =
Approx. width of vehicle =
Approx. length of vehicle =
Approx. weight of vehicle =

Using this data, I will use contacts that are region specific to help find someone that can assist.

So, if you are not having luck on your own, then this might be a good source.

Maybe we need to add a thread of KNOWN good service centers.

Haley CDJR
5400 S Laburnum Ave
Richmond, VA 23231

804-655-2516

On the case in question, this was the dealer that was recommended and confirmed that they were ready to handle the RV.
Interesting. They did ask the same info on the phone:

- Complete Address
- VIN
- Height
- Length
- Weight

I had all info on-hand and they still listed ALL RAM service centers in my area.

I was hoping they would have had a list of appropriately-sized service facilities but they can only offer any RAM service.

I did find a GMC truck service center about 30 miles away who can take the I5 but I made the appointment for a week from now in hopes of coming up with a RAM dealer with similar capacity.

I will keep this thread updated if anything comes up.

I like the idea of a dedicated thread with validated RAM/RV service centers.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #12
CNYJim

Ì would love to have a list of accommodating facilities. I live in central NY and have spoken at length with RAM trying to find a facility. They were very willing and followed up with me when I contacted the suggested dealerships all resulting in dead ends. Finally it was left since I had no immediate needs when a need arose to call back and a referral could be investigated. This solution is very disconcerting on a cross country drive. I love the I5 30FW but this does creat some anxiety. Thanks to all just knowing this is being looked at here is a start to a solution.
Sjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjames View Post
Ì would love to have a list of accommodating facilities. I live in central NY and have spoken at length with RAM trying to find a facility. They were very willing and followed up with me when I contacted the suggested dealerships all resulting in dead ends. Finally it was left since I had no immediate needs when a need arose to call back and a referral could be investigated. This solution is very disconcerting on a cross country drive. I love the I5 30FW but this does creat some anxiety. Thanks to all just knowing this is being looked at here is a start to a solution.
Milkman55 already started one.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-a-226314.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #14

None of the 16 North Jersey RAM service centers can take the I5.

I will keep my GMC Trucks service center appointment and if all goes well I will post it to the "RAM Dealers That Service Isata 5" as an option for owners in my area.

I'm a bit surprised by the challenges finding a service center. In hindsight it makes sense but I assumed there would be more options locally... and really surprised that no RAM option exists.

The good news is several of the service managers recommended the GMC Trucks facility that I will be going to.

We'll see how that goes, but I will remain optimistic until proven otherwise.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 03-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #15

One tip to easily find dealers is download the My Mopar App. Not only does it have the dealer locator function, but it also keeps track of your recalls and has the manual and warranty info in the app.

Finding the dealer does not mean they service the 5500 or the Isata 5, but it does give you a population from which to search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BBC6ADA-E35F-45D5-9BBF-3A1C39EBEC3A.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	248935  
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #16
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjames View Post
Ì would love to have a list of accommodating facilities. I live in central NY and have spoken at length with RAM trying to find a facility. They were very willing and followed up with me when I contacted the suggested dealerships all resulting in dead ends. Finally it was left since I had no immediate needs when a need arose to call back and a referral could be investigated. This solution is very disconcerting on a cross country drive. I love the I5 30FW but this does create some anxiety. Thanks to all just knowing this is being looked at here is a start to a solution.
Cross country is the problem indeed. I had a starter fail on a Ford F550 C Class near Denver. No one wanted to know about it. I had to replace it myself. I had a w/s manual but had no idea what I was doing but it was that or have it towed to Texas. Ford had the same facility as Ram that simply lists everyone in their network who touched the chassis but many dealer cannot lift, and will not work under the vehicle when its on the ground.

Its a challenge for sure.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, ram, service