RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #21

Removing the mirror in the Ram is easy, loosen/remove the Allen screw on the mirror base and slide up and off. I put my dash cam up there.

Originally tried mounting my Garmin up there and sat reception was awful, then moved the rear view cam up there but the wiring looked ugly so just put the dash cam up, surprisingly the dash slot above the glove box gave me the best reception on the Garmin.
Ursusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Its generally accepted that the Android Play function is worthless when compared with Apple Play on most installations. On the Audi MMI, it does not work at all through 2109 installs. Some improvement in 2020 and lots of promise for 2021 but I believe Ford has the same problem.
Just an observational data point if interested. I have spent a whole lot of time on Carplay (probably 100K miles) and a lot of time on Android Auto (thousands of miles). I would say that after a bit of differences adjustment they are both equally capable at this point. Google assistance MUCH better than Siri with voice commands/texting. I probably like the Apple touch interface slightly better, but not massively so. I'd agree that 2-3 years ago Carplay was solidly better, but Google has really caught up in my experience. Point is that it may be worth a shot to check it out for awhile if you think it might get you to where you want to be from a dash simplicity POV.

This is across both personal vehicles and rentals from various OEMs. My observation is that FCA probably has the best infotainment, including Apple/Android integration (I realize how heretical it is in car person world to claim FCA has the best anything). I would say that VAG is one of if not the worst. Its a tossup with Toyota for me for that distinction. That's based on lots of time with Porsche personal vehicles and Volkswagen rentals, but almost no time with Audi. It does seem like they have maybe led the charge within VAG based on digital cockpit etc so perhaps they're better than my general experience. Ford and GM also solid, BMW VERY clunky until VERY recently, when they actually got pretty slick with wireless CarPlay.

I realize that this kind of thing is primarily personal preference/opinion, but figured I'd share my observations in case its helpful.

Matt
WeQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:40 PM   #23

Has anyone removed the rear view and replaced it with a 10in tablet? If so, what mount did you use?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Unquestioned agreement on my part but a lot of places I go to are without cell service and the GPS on phones needs cell updates continuously. ...
This is not an argument against a GPS but the statement above is not true for Google Maps. You can download regions onto your phone or tablet in advance of traveling. You obviously won't get real-time traffic, but you wouldn't get that with a GPS, either.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
Has anyone removed the rear view and replaced it with a 10in tablet? If so, what mount did you use?
This is what I used for one of the larger Garmins before I moved it down to the slot above the glovebox, lousy sat reception up there.

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mi...ll-rap-b-369au

However you want to consider weight and Ďmomentí, distance from the windshield mount, that mount point is only glued to the shield and torque would be considerable for many of the tablets.
Ursusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:17 AM   #26
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Iíve been using the Ram Mount suction cup mount holding an iPad Pro for several years. It covers the factory rear view mirror. No problems at all. It uses a twist ring to activate the suction, a lot of suction.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:19 AM   #27

I have a 2014 RAM with Navigation... and I bought the almost $200 map update-- once. I bought it May 2019, then discovered when I loaded it that the data was actually September 2017! Fool me once, shame on me... When I contacted the vendor, the response was basically, "Sucks to be you."

I still use the RAM system for a lot of travel, especially in cities. I also always check Google before I leave on any extended trip and download the area if I'm going to possibly be out of service area.

David & Elise
Windjammer 3001W
RAM 3500 SRW
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #28

when I bought my 2018 the forums said the radio had just changed and was a new manufacture who no longer has the path to "turn on" the nav on the non nav radios.

But if your in cell site areas, you can use your phone and have the radio display the NAV on screen using android or apple auto.

I also use a dedicated GPS (Garmin Drive 65), PLUS google earth (in satellite view mode) on my radio. than I will have something like waze running so the audio breaks through on radio with notifications.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Iíve been using the Ram Mount suction cup mount holding an iPad Pro for several years. It covers the factory rear view mirror. No problems at all. It uses a twist ring to activate the suction, a lot of suction.
So your rear view mirror is still there, but your suction cup is holding on to the mirror??
Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #30

One cord is not ugly but I guess it's opinion based. I used a ram mount that fit on the mirror button but it is plastic so the camera bounced a lot. Found a perfect mount on etrailer.com which I linked here. Screws to the mirror button on the glass and is much sturdier (doesn't bounce). The windshield cover is more difficult to put in but this works much better for me. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RVS-619UM.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5925.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	245918   Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield-mount-universal-monitor-rvs-619um-main.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	245920  
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
One cord is not ugly but I guess it's opinion based. I used a ram mount that fit on the mirror button but it is plastic so the camera bounced a lot. Found a perfect mount on etrailer.com which I linked here. Screws to the mirror button on the glass and is much sturdier (doesn't bounce). The windshield cover is more difficult to put in but this works much better for me. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RVS-619UM.html

Thanks MJ. I need this mount.
I have 3 cameras on my MH. they used to feed through the stereo but I put separate monitor on dash for them.
this will allow me to mount an additonal monitor to use my center camera as a rear view mirror
Old 01-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #32
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
So your rear view mirror is still there, but your suction cup is holding on to the mirror??
No, the suction cup is on the windshield glass. Getting rid of the mirror would allow more flexibility to move the iPad. Went out and got some more pictures.

Looking at the setup from the outside:

From inside with mount minus iPad:

Side view:

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #33

We removed our rearview mirror and mount from our windshield. Make sure to have a wet towel under the mount when it drops.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #34
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
We removed our rearview mirror and mount from our windshield. Make sure to have a wet towel under the mount when it drops.
How is it removed? Does one have to pry off that mount cover? Or did you use the dental floss technique to break the glue bonding?

What is the "wet" towel for - as opposed to a dry one?
Isata 5 28SS on order
Various Airstream TT and Winnebago MH
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #35

Quote:
How is it removed? Does one have to pry off that mount cover? Or did you use the dental floss technique to break the glue bonding?

Wet towel likely because some folks use heat to remove the mirror button.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #36

Quote:

Heat and putty knife. Direct heat to the button mount and LIGHT pressure to pry it away from the glass if it does not drop on its own. Wet towel keeps it from burning the dash when it drops.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by msusslin View Post
We just installed the Nav system for $595. I have it on my Jeep and love it and also decided not to use the phone do not eat up data. Using GPS via CarPlay has its plus and minuses, especially if navigating in heavy traffic and wife decides to use her phone on something else, map gone, exit missed 25 mile detour Not to mention cell service gone, which happens a lot. I consider the Chrysler Nav system far superior to that installed on our Audi which is slow and not user friendly at all.
Agree. My wife's jeep update regularly and Uconnect works flawlessly. Each stand alone has plusses and minuses for sure, depends on where you are going. As an owner of a German Diesel car specialty repair business I can say first hand the Germans idea of nav sucks at best. They (all German car manufactures) have never made a decent nav system. My new RAM 3500 does not have nav and I doubt I'll add it and just stick with Garmin. I hate the Google version interfering with the radio and constantly charging the phone.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #38

RAM navigation system

Have you installed Android Auto? If not, install it and then plug your phone into the USB port. I did that and it then prompts you to set it up. No subscription needed to use the navigation system in the RAM truck.
ambonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #39
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambonito View Post
Have you installed Android Auto? If not, install it and then plug your phone into the USB port. I did that and it then prompts you to set it up. No subscription needed to use the navigation system in the RAM truck.
Android Auto is generally accepted as being both inferior to Apple Play and not compatible with certain systems on a seamless basis. Most of the "German" based systems are hopeless with Android Auto which was documented by Consumer Reports last year. Plus as others have noted, the use of the phone for anything else can interrupt and disconnect the GPS signal needed for Googler Maps or Waze. Waze is particularly weak in this area and will occasionally drop a particular route and require a restart all while hurtling down the Interstate with 90,000 lbs of 18-wheels tucked in 6 feet behind you! hence the sentiments that dependence on a phone, its update process and a GPS signal may work when all you really need is traffic advisories because you know the route. However when the route is unfamiliar, requires a lot of turns, off/on ramps, not always clear signage, in the dark in rain - can lead to more pucker factor then most oldies want to enjoy in their retirement.
Isata 5 28SS on order
Various Airstream TT and Winnebago MH
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ram