Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #1

Rear Camera Upgrade

Is it possible to replace the single rear camera on the earlier M2s with the new dual camera?
Anyone know if the dual operates with one or two communication cables? My guess is two making the upgrade very difficult.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
Is it possible to replace the single rear camera on the earlier M2s with the new dual camera?
Anyone know if the dual operates with one or two communication cables? My guess is two making the upgrade very difficult.
Having corrected the install on my 22 XL, it looks like two separate cables. The two cameras can be rotated apart from each other on location pins that give the correct offset between the two cameras. When installed properly, you get both a picture of your hitch and a view to the rear!
Old 07-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #3

My 2020 Isata5 and my 2021 M2 Force came with dual rear cameras. Are you sure yours doesn't have duals? Maybe just a setting?

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
My 2020 Isata5 and my 2021 M2 Force came with dual rear cameras. Are you sure yours doesn't have duals? Maybe just a setting?
We have a 2018 XL... single camera
Old 07-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #5

I just added a second camera below the original. Used the audio wire from the original camera to power up the 2nd camera. Added a Tadi brothers 9" screen to the dash and have all 4 cameras on all the time. The 2 rears give me a towbar/toad view and 2nd camera looks back beyond the toad. Works great.
M T Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T Pockets View Post
I just added a second camera below the original. Used the audio wire from the original camera to power up the 2nd camera. Added a Tadi brothers 9" screen to the dash and have all 4 cameras on all the time. The 2 rears give me a towbar/toad view and 2nd camera looks back beyond the toad. Works great.
This is a fantastic idea! We have never used the audio capability of this camera. In fact, I didn't know it had an audio feed.

Thank you
Ed
Old 07-04-2022, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T Pockets View Post
Do you happen to know what brand and model is the original camera?
Old 08-28-2022, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
Do you happen to know what brand and model is the original camera?
I'm curious to know how you wired it up amd which cameras you upgraded with. The ones I have are horrible pictures and the night view is useless as it's mostly washed out.

I'm addition how do you get multiple cams on the display if they go into that river park box first and there's only one video out port on it?
BristolMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #9
Norwood Auto Italia

Following
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:10 PM   #10

Before we traded our Force HD I had upgraded the single rear camera to a dual rear camera system. I used the single cable to pull two new ones to the front for an RVS monitor and cameras. It definitely is possible, and takes some time and patience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Qaud Camera Monitor.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	278448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Camera Mounted.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	278449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cables Fed 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	278450  
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:53 PM   #11

As much as I love pulling wires the entire length of the coach, doesn't seem like it'll go smoothly for me.

What about a 4Pin M12 Aviation Male To Double Female Car Rear View Camera Splitter? They're inexpensive and would get me power to two cameras, then use the audio from one camera and flip it to video. Now I effectively have two video feeds since neither camera will have audio.

This seems like it'll save some time. Now I just need to find a dual cam with compatible plugs.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolMike View Post
As much as I love pulling wires the entire length of the coach, doesn't seem like it'll go smoothly for me.

What about a 4Pin M12 Aviation Male To Double Female Car Rear View Camera Splitter? They're inexpensive and would get me power to two cameras, then use the audio from one camera and flip it to video. Now I effectively have two video feeds since neither camera will have audio.

This seems like it'll save some time. Now I just need to find a dual cam with compatible plugs.
Please let us know when you find something compatible!
LuckyTibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #13

This one will do the trick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19489654477...emis&media=SMS

Now I need something that will show both video feeds so the connex box won't work.

Anyone have ideas?
Old 09-06-2022, 12:46 AM   #14
Pud

If I get to rear camera. Will the video cable be visible ? My cam is useless, foggy, etc.
Thank
Patrick
DYNAQUEST
Pud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:39 AM   #15

Not likely as the only video cable I have in mine is in the switcher box running to the dash head unit.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:56 AM   #16

I'm thinking this one from Tadi Brothers will do the trick. Unfortunately they won't share the manual, pinout or connector type/size with me. I guess I'm buying and trying.

It even has a wired remote and you pick which cameras you want on. Not as useful as a switcher but like others have said, the mirrors are plenty sufficient for that.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...backup-cameras

Might take me a bit but I promise to report back.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #17

Update on latest status is that the video switcher from Tadi Brothers did not work out. I am perhaps one of the few who had a bad experience form them which I'll share here for full transparency.

I tried to get pre-sales tech support to obtain more detail on the switcher and was told my questions couldn't be answered and they couldn't send me a copy of the manual supplied with the device unless I purchased it and then it would be in the box. I also ordered the wireless remote thinking it would be nice to have however upon receiving my shipment it was not included. They did ultimately refund me for that after sending them a number of photos proving I didn't receive it.

After cutting the connectors from the Conexx device and re-wiring to the Tadi Brothers switcher I plugged everything in and turned it on. All I got was a flashing red light next to the power button on the wired remote. A few back and forth attempts at trying to resolve the issue and they finally told me that the switcher does NOT supply 12v to the cameras even though those are two of the wires in the 4-pin and the google translated Chinese instructions claim there is power supplied.

I have to return this now and was told there might be a refurbishing/restocking fee. Overall totally disappointed with their product and support so now I'll have to find an alternate solution for the cameras. This one seemed so promising given the same style connector as on the original cameras but it appears there's no product out there that will give you multi-display over a single video out like this one would have.

Back to the drawing board!
Old 09-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolMike View Post
Update on latest status is that the video switcher from Tadi Brothers did not work out. I am perhaps one of the few who had a bad experience form them which I'll share here for full transparency.

I tried to get pre-sales tech support to obtain more detail on the switcher and was told my questions couldn't be answered and they couldn't send me a copy of the manual supplied with the device unless I purchased it and then it would be in the box. I also ordered the wireless remote thinking it would be nice to have however upon receiving my shipment it was not included. They did ultimately refund me for that after sending them a number of photos proving I didn't receive it.

After cutting the connectors from the Conexx device and re-wiring to the Tadi Brothers switcher I plugged everything in and turned it on. All I got was a flashing red light next to the power button on the wired remote. A few back and forth attempts at trying to resolve the issue and they finally told me that the switcher does NOT supply 12v to the cameras even though those are two of the wires in the 4-pin and the google translated Chinese instructions claim there is power supplied.

I have to return this now and was told there might be a refurbishing/restocking fee. Overall totally disappointed with their product and support so now I'll have to find an alternate solution for the cameras. This one seemed so promising given the same style connector as on the original cameras but it appears there's no product out there that will give you multi-display over a single video out like this one would have.

Back to the drawing board!
Crutchfield's pre and post purchase support has always been great, so you may want to try them. Though, I don't know if they carry exactly what you are looking for.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToTheForce View Post
Crutchfield's pre and post purchase support has always been great, so you may want to try them. Though, I don't know if they carry exactly what you are looking for.

I agree 100%. Used them for the head unit I replaced with a Garmin/Kenwood 10.1 screen version (primarily for the wireless android auto and apple car play). So much nicer and when it wouldn't turn on I contacted them and they were extremely helpful, even on a Sunday. Ended up being a small plastic trim piece that somehow makes the entire unit work or not work.

I'll reach out to Rear View safety as their cams have the same 4-pin connectors so maybe they'll be able to get me some components to make this work. I have a feeling I'll lose the input to my head unit for the camera now and need a new display mounted elsewhere so the value is diminishing quickly.

Tags
camera, upgrade