Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #1
Wanderluster

Recommendations for EMS/Surge Protection

In my previous Class A, I installed a Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protection system. Worked great - never had any problems with power. This is the hardwired version that manages the shore power coming in before it goes into the coach. That was in 2014, after lots of research and comparisons. I felt it was the best electrical management system
and surge protection available.

Now, I want to install an EMS/Surge Protection system in my new (to me) motorhome, a 2007 Dynaquest 340XL. I prefer the hardwired vs any portable system that goes on the shore power pedestal.

Any recommendations on a better system than the Progressive EMS-HW50C?

Thanks,

John
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
In my previous Class A, I installed a Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protection system. Worked great - never had any problems with power. This is the hardwired version that manages the shore power coming in before it goes into the coach. That was in 2014, after lots of research and comparisons. I felt it was the best electrical management system
and surge protection available.

Now, I want to install an EMS/Surge Protection system in my new (to me) motorhome, a 2007 Dynaquest 340XL. I prefer the hardwired vs any portable system that goes on the shore power pedestal.

Any recommendations on a better system than the Progressive EMS-HW50C?

Thanks,

John
Consider installing a portable one inside your locked electrical bay so that you can always remove it, replace it or bypass it if it runs into any trouble. Disconnect the power cable from the transfer switch and put a 50 amp plug on the end. Get a length of 6/3 cable and wire one end to the transfer switch where the original power cable terminated and the other end to a 50 amp receptacle. Now you can insert a portable power monitor in between or if necessary, remove the power monitor and simply plug the power cord into the newly added receptacle.

This is what I installed.

Portable 50 amp Bluetooth Power Watchdog

Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #3

I got one of these. It seemed to be highly rated. I also liked the voltage boost feature. Haven't done any voltage measurements, so I can't say anything good or bad about it.
https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ter-and-surge/

Here's an old review.
MAC D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #4

Forgot to mention, I have a 30' extension cord and keep it locked in the basement. I think it does come with a cable lock but what about rain...
MAC D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
Wanderluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
Consider installing a portable one inside your locked electrical bay so that you can always remove it, replace it or bypass it if it runs into any trouble. Disconnect the power cable from the transfer switch and put a 50 amp plug on the end. Get a length of 6/3 cable and wire one end to the transfer switch where the original power cable terminated and the other end to a 50 amp receptacle. Now you can insert a portable power monitor in between or if necessary, remove the power monitor and simply plug the power cord into the newly added receptacle.

Magnatudes, thanks for that idea. The reason I'm doing this again is because I left my hardwired one in my last coach - didn't have the time or desire to uninstall it before selling.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:53 AM   #6

I’d be interested in a reasonably priced one also. Never had any kind of surge protection on any coach I’ve had. Never had a single issue.

I use to think surge protection was a waste of money, until lightning hit outside my house and destroyed a few devices. Now I’m thinking yes, not a bad idea as long as it doesn’t cost more for the protector than the devices your trying to protect!

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
I’d be interested in a reasonably priced one also. Never had any kind of surge protection on any coach I’ve had. Never had a single issue.

—john

A surge protector is cheap insurance IMHO. Kind of like home insurance. I would rather pay it and never file a claim. I have an EMS-PT50X and it has saved me more than once. There are plenty of good ones out there.
I go through the process each time I hook up to campground electric of plugging the surge protector in, turning the 50 amp breaker on and letting the surge protector cycle through once, before I hook the coach up, to verify that the service is good. Then I turn off the breaker, plug the coach in and flip the breaker back on.
It takes an extra couple of minutes, but I have had to move campsites twice due to faulty electric service that was discovered using this process. I have also had the surge protector shut down service due to a surge at the campsite.
I don’t leave home without it!
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Magnatudes, thanks for that idea. The reason I'm doing this again is because I left my hardwired one in my last coach - didn't have the time or desire to uninstall it before selling.
JACA, keep in mind that this is not just a "surge protection" device. It does a lot more than that. And obviously with a portable installed as I described will give you the option to upgrade later, replace or to take it with you when it's time to change coaches.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:

X2 on the power watchdog, love ours!
2014 Explorer & 2006 Jeep Unlimited
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:28 PM   #10
Wanderluster

Quote:
JACA, keep in mind that this is not just a "surge protection" device. It does a lot more than that. And obviously with a portable installed as I described will give you the option to upgrade later, replace or to take it with you when it's time to change coaches.
I took your advice and got the Hughes PWD50-EPO portable unit. Found it on Amazon for $250. Compared to similar devices from Progressive Industries, Southwire/Surge Guard, the Hughes has better display panel, higher joules rating, replaceable sacrificial surge module, and bluetooth connection to smart phone - all for less money.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I took your advice and got the Hughes PWD50-EPO portable unit. Found it on Amazon for $250. Compared to similar devices from Progressive Industries, Southwire/Surge Guard, the Hughes has better display panel, higher joules rating, replaceable sacrificial surge module, and bluetooth connection to smart phone - all for less money.

Thanks!
You did your homework and made a good choice. I think I paid about $285 for it about a year ago so you got a super deal.

LE bro.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
A surge protector is cheap insurance IMHO. Kind of like home insurance. I would rather pay it and never file a claim. I have an EMS-PT50X and it has saved me more than once. There are plenty of good ones out there.
I go through the process each time I hook up to campground electric of plugging the surge protector in, turning the 50 amp breaker on and letting the surge protector cycle through once, before I hook the coach up, to verify that the service is good. Then I turn off the breaker, plug the coach in and flip the breaker back on.
It takes an extra couple of minutes, but I have had to move campsites twice due to faulty electric service that was discovered using this process. I have also had the surge protector shut down service due to a surge at the campsite.
I don’t leave home without it!
^^X2^^
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #13

Progressive now makes a stand alone surge protector. It is the size of an adaptor, and can permanently live on the end of your shore power cord. It also has an optional stand-alone pedestal tester. Inexpensive enough to replace if surge protection is blown, and possibly even carry a spare.

The 28SS transfer switch has built-in EMS and surge protection, but the external device avoids having to dig in and replace fuses.

Advantages of the stand alone tester are ability to quickly test a pedestal, and simplicity when explaining to the RV park what is wrong with the pedestal. No going in to trailer and explaining code E07.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.59.03 AM.png
Views:	55
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	248978  
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #14

Hughes PWD50-EPO at United RV for $245. Free shipping. No tax to most states.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...mers-pwd50-epo

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #15

Not positive about the value of an ems.

However. In 3 years of ownership, about 100 nights in the fifth wheel. We have seen 4 power outages. Power failed, low voltage. Power came back later. Came on automatically.

Also a damaged 50 amp connection. Switched to the 30 amp plug and all was well.

I am a believer in their value.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote