Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #1

Refrigerator locking brackets

The lock brackets on my domestic refrigerator are difficult to lock and are popping open often during a ride.
After 6 months they are a constant pain. I have to lift the door to engage. Since the bracket on the door is lower than that on the wall, I am guessing it's not properly installed. I can't find any info online.

Photos and info would be appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210513_023243095.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	254900Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210513_023228510.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	254901
Old 05-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
Commercial Member

https://www.sugatsune.com/product/sl...h-indicator-5/

The door may have settled and it is not lined up perfectly. Should be able to tweak an adjustment.

This is the latch that we added by popular demand. Personally, I would adjust the jamb side (not the fridge side) and you might be able to just adjust the fridge door at its hinges. More than one way to skin that cat.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Plus, if you swap in a "pan head" for the countersunk...that might give you a little play without any new holes.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #4

FYI guys, ive been working on the lathe and mill to machine a latch that works like the RV fridges, so it locks every time you close the door.

Im sure there will be a lot of interest in this from owners and MFG's, so ill keep everyone posted.

Im on my 4th design of it, i think this one might be the winner.

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #5

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
FYI guys, ive been working on the lathe and mill to machine a latch that works like the RV fridges, so it locks every time you close the door.

Im sure there will be a lot of interest in this from owners and MFG's, so ill keep everyone posted.

--John
Old 05-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:

--John

I would love to see what you come up with, this is a piece that has been needed since RV mfr hopped on the res refer wagon. Iprefer compressor based refrigeration vs absorption in the heat but someone needs too come up with a compressor that can be supported by 3-400 amp ours and 500 watts solar.

Maybe there is one but I havent come across it yet
V6TOY4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #7

If you want more efficient dc refrigeration looks at some 12v native stuff using danfoss compressors.

A lot of efficiency is lost in using an inverter to power a fridge.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
If you want more efficient dc refrigeration looks at some 12v native stuff using danfoss compressors.

A lot of efficiency is lost in using an inverter to power a fridge.

Dan foss is a good choice but still pulls considerable juice when you look at worst case, 90+ degree weather in a shaded campsite.

Inverter efficiency is another part of the equation for sure. Our inverter is left on most of the time so it would be the loss of efficiency in the conversion as opposed to inverter "operation" loss which we already have.

1st option is a JC conversion of our existing, more work but minimal modifications needed and pricing is in line with a small resi but no ice maker. I want an ice maker for days when we have good solar. The ice makers circuit is 120 volt but it can be broken out separate to run off inverter and you can choose to power it or not via a switch for "ice maker"
Pretty sure I can adapt one in though.

2nd option is a smaller resi with builtin ice maker on inverter, still breaking out the ice maker.

I figure someone will come up with the next "oh my god" idea and cut power consumption

OR I make room for another 200AH of lithium.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #9

My residential GE refrigerator works perfectly fine. My concern is with the locking latch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6TOY4X View Post
Dan foss is a good choice but still pulls considerable juice when you look at worst case, 90+ degree weather in a shaded campsite.

Inverter efficiency is another part of the equation for sure. Our inverter is left on most of the time so it would be the loss of efficiency in the conversion as opposed to inverter "operation" loss which we already have.

1st option is a JC conversion of our existing, more work but minimal modifications needed and pricing is in line with a small resi but no ice maker. I want an ice maker for days when we have good solar. The ice makers circuit is 120 volt but it can be broken out separate to run off inverter and you can choose to power it or not via a switch for "ice maker"
Pretty sure I can adapt one in though.

2nd option is a smaller resi with builtin ice maker on inverter, still breaking out the ice maker.

I figure someone will come up with the next "oh my god" idea and cut power consumption

OR I make room for another 200AH of lithium.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
My residential GE refrigerator works perfectly fine. My concern is with the locking latch.

Fill me in;

Off grid;

solar, battery bank, conditions you camp in, i.e. solar capability (shade or inclement weather) duration off grid, and temperatures.

Running a resi in Arizona in the desert during the summer with decent solar and 400AH is a lot different than october in the california sierras for a week snas decent solar harvest. The numbers dont add up in my calculation.

Your real world would trump my calculations for sure!
Old 05-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #11

Check out my thread and feel free to post questions there.
"Xplorer solar system settings and data discussion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6TOY4X View Post
Fill me in;

Off grid;

solar, battery bank, conditions you camp in, i.e. solar capability (shade or inclement weather) duration off grid, and temperatures.

Running a resi in Arizona in the desert during the summer with decent solar and 400AH is a lot different than october in the california sierras for a week snas decent solar harvest. The numbers dont add up in my calculation.

Your real world would trump my calculations for sure!
Old 05-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Check out my thread and feel free to post questions there.
"Xplorer solar system settings and data discussion"

Aww!!
Will do, reading that thread requires a clear and focused mind, i did read it initially and commented that it was a great real world resource.

Now I guess I have committed to reading it ALL, a lot of info in there.

I remember having to set up my ME-ARC for AGMs first and then switching to lithium, it almost melted my brain! You have to read it all , you just can't look at the pictures!!!
Old 05-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #13

I camp almost exclusively off grid and I can go from 6pm to noon the next day without the generator auto starting. Using standard AGM batts.

Running all my stuff fridge and TV most of the night and all my internet gear (router, touch screen etc).

—John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #14

But do you have a lock on your refer like mine and how do I fix my problem?
Quote:
I camp almost exclusively off grid and I can go from 6pm to noon the next day without the generator auto starting. Using standard AGM batts.

Running all my stuff fridge and TV most of the night and all my internet gear (router, touch screen etc).

—John
Old 05-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
But do you have a lock on your refer like mine and how do I fix my problem?
Have you tried my suggestions in post #2 & 3?

Old 05-27-2021, 05:21 AM   #16

We just installed these Sugatsune latches (love them!). However, we used stainless steel rivets to attach the plates to the doors. We just felt like the screws we never going to hold up.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
The lock brackets on my domestic refrigerator are difficult to lock and are popping open often during a ride.
After 6 months they are a constant pain. I have to lift the door to engage. Since the bracket on the door is lower than that on the wall, I am guessing it's not properly installed. I can't find any info online.

Photos and info would be appreciated.Attachment 254900Attachment 254901
They need to be remove and repositioned. Mine were hard to lock and would come unlocked driving to the point the frig door would open and hit the table. Now I have a dented frig door. The freezer door lock was fine.

In my photo, you can see where the lock was mounted and where I filled the old screw hole. Position it where it locks easy, mark the new hole locations with a pencil, drill and mount. That solved the hard locking and now doesn’t unlock driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FD98726-7760-4EED-A472-0DB3FA868350.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	255461  

Tags
lock, refrigerator