Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Reinforcing DX3 Basement bin

Decided to add a green mountain grills pellet smoker to my kit this weekend. Trying to sneak it into the basement bin with my black stone griddle I noticed the bottom of the big bin had really started to bow. Even have some bow in the side walls. Guessing the 115 heat while loaded in Las Vegas didn’t help anything.

It was time to do a little reinforcing before I added another 68lb. Would’ve loved to have done it in aluminum, but I had a couple of sticks of 1”x1” steel laying around for another project I never got around to. Came out pretty good. Still debating on whether I fully cover it. Right now it’s plenry stout. I was able to fully support my weight with minimal deflection.

Right now it just sits in the bin. Transferring the weight to the walls is going to make a lot of difference I think. If I want to get crazy I can always run verticals and hang it from the steel that the bins are attached to but I’m not convinced that’s necessary. Going to run like this for a few trips and see how it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D466225-BC2A-4836-8B48-E9FC03A9DB2E.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	183067   Click image for larger version

Name:	13642CED-15D7-4A29-9935-782063E99F24.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	183068   Click image for larger version

Name:	86B13845-EBF3-44E0-8D3D-C497DC04EF0F.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	669.0 KB
ID:	183069  
Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

Nice, easy solution.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

I was looking at the welds best I could see.. Nice job.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
I was looking at the welds best I could see.. Nice job.
If I had more time (read: was retired) I could’ve beveled the edges and made it pretty. Decided it will be covered in junk most it’s life so went for the down and dirty route
Old 08-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
If I had more time (read: was retired) I could’ve beveled the edges and made it pretty. Decided it will be covered in junk most it’s life so went for the down and dirty route
Side question. How well does the bag work for carrying the Blackstone? How much room is in the bag once the grill is in it? I am thinking about building a custom box for mine (17 inch version). I want to be able to store the adapter and hose for mine when I switch to the quick connect system. If the bag will work I would rather just buy the bag.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #6

Sorry that’s just the cover draped over the black stone. I don’t have the bag.

I did also upgrade the cardboard I had been placing over the cooking surface to a piece of 1/2” plywood

Now the bag for the GMG is going to be awesome I think. Better chance to keep pellets and ash off my black stone.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
Side question. How well does the bag work for carrying the Blackstone? How much room is in the bag once the grill is in it? I am thinking about building a custom box for mine (17 inch version). I want to be able to store the adapter and hose for mine when I switch to the quick connect system. If the bag will work I would rather just buy the bag.
We have the 22" blackstone that comes with a stand. We store it all in the box it came in
Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Great post! Thanks for sharing and looks great!
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
We have the 22" blackstone that comes with a stand. We store it all in the box it came in
I am currently putting mine in the cardboard box but it is slowly getting ruined. I wanted a tote but couldn't find one in the size I want. I may just make my own box so that I can get everything in it with a lid.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

Nice job. I would love to add a pull out tray in a few of the compartments, especially where my tools are. But I would want a low profile one so I don’t lose too much height.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
I am currently putting mine in the cardboard box but it is slowly getting ruined. I wanted a tote but couldn't find one in the size I want. I may just make my own box so that I can get everything in it with a lid.
Him, ours isnt that old so i guess that box will not last forever. If you find/make a solution please share!!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Nice job. I would love to add a pull out tray in a few of the compartments, especially where my tools are. But I would want a low profile one so I don’t lose too much height.
That’s my on going struggle with storage in general. Added convenience decreases storage capacity. Whether it’s bins, drawers, whatever. But I agree. This would make a great base for a drawer. May try something in the front bin next.

Need to get all my gas cylinders moved to the top of the door also. Never realized how in the way they are til I removed this one.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Decided to add a green mountain grills pellet smoker to my kit this weekend. Trying to sneak it into the basement bin with my black stone griddle I noticed the bottom of the big bin had really started to bow. Even have some bow in the side walls. Guessing the 115 heat while loaded in Las Vegas didn’t help anything.

It was time to do a little reinforcing before I added another 68lb. Would’ve loved to have done it in aluminum, but I had a couple of sticks of 1”x1” steel laying around for another project I never got around to. Came out pretty good. Still debating on whether I fully cover it. Right now it’s plenry stout. I was able to fully support my weight with minimal deflection.

Right now it just sits in the bin. Transferring the weight to the walls is going to make a lot of difference I think. If I want to get crazy I can always run verticals and hang it from the steel that the bins are attached to but I’m not convinced that’s necessary. Going to run like this for a few trips and see how it does.
We have that exact same pellet smoker, love it, but it stays on our deck. We bought a smaller propane BBQ from CW that has a little drawer that you can fill with pellets if you want the smokey effect. It works really well too and a lot smaller to tote around.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #14

One word: Traeger
Fireplaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #15

I looked at the traegers but this one ended up fitting better. One inaugural smoke (tri tip and some sausage) so far and I’m pretty pleased. Going to do some ribs this weekend

I know a 28” black stone and this are overkill but we often end up as a base of operations for our wheeling group so being able to cook for several comes in handy. Good thing I’ve got a healthy CCC!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #16

Looks good, I reinforced with a plywood floor when I carried the Davy Crockett Green Mountain grill. I hope yours works better than the one I had. Would never keep the right temp setting and cooked to hot even when set to 180. Returned it under warranty.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #17

I was under my rig this morning measuring for jack pads and was looking at bins that are not reinforced from below. Not sure you would want to go through the trouble but there is room to add steel from below and reinforce from there. I think it’s heat related myself because mine is new and some of them are sagging. May be a good winter project.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #18

Yeah there was somebody else that ran beam hangers from the frame and then unistrut underneath to the metal fronts. Definitely works also. I just wanted something I could weld so I didn’t have to run for hardware. Not enough room to access the steel frames between bins with them installed so I went interior.

Definitely agree that it’s heat related. And some of it just the fact that it’s plastic.

I just started to feel uneasy with that much stuff in there bouncing down the road. Probably as many peace of mind reasons as structural
Old 08-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Yeah there was somebody else that ran beam hangers from the frame and then unistrut underneath to the metal fronts. Definitely works also. I just wanted something I could weld so I didn’t have to run for hardware. Not enough room to access the steel frames between bins with them installed so I went interior.

Definitely agree that it’s heat related. And some of it just the fact that it’s plastic.

I just started to feel uneasy with that much stuff in there bouncing down the road. Probably as many peace of mind reasons as structural
I did that on mine...got the idea from Houstonstroker, I believe.

Beam hangers on the frame and all thread down to unistrut cinched up tight against the bottom of the bins. Put two under each of the smaller bins and three under the larger ones...transferred all the weight/load to the frame. Also drilled holes through the strut once it was installed and bolted in tie down anchors in the corner of each bin and down the center of the larger bins.

Took about a day and a half to do it, but they can support A LOT of weight now.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
I did that on mine...got the idea from Houstonstroker, I believe.

Beam hangers on the frame and all thread down to unistrut cinched up tight against the bottom of the bins. Put two under each of the smaller bins and three under the larger ones...transferred all the weight/load to the frame. Also drilled holes through the strut once it was installed and bolted in tie down anchors in the corner of each bin and down the center of the larger bins.

Took about a day and a half to do it, but they can support A LOT of weight now.
Could you show some pics of how you did this please?