Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #21

A cheaper alternative

Just ordered a gel foam egg crate pad for the top of our bed in our 24FW. Put it on last night. Feels great. Looking forward to testing it out on the next trip.

Also had noticed that the top half of the bed was slightly lower than the bottom half so I put a 1" piece of eggcrate that I had laying around under the top half of the bed. It's slightly higher than the bottom half now, but I am sure that will equalize once I climb on top of it.

One possible alternative for others that may not yet be ready for a new mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseHouse View Post
We survived with the original mattress for two years, but definitely need an improvement so we finally ordered the Tochta Utopia. If anyone else is in the market for a Tochta, use the link below to get $25 off your purchase. Tochta will also send me $25 and I'll donate it to the Unofficial Rally account.

http://tochta.refr.cc/nancybutler
You guys are the best. Thanks again for shopping with the link. I just sent another $25 to halla. That's $75, so far, toward the next owners' gathering.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The new Innomax mattress we use today is pretty darn nice. I'll be taking the demo out next week with the sales, operations and engineering managers (them in their own rigs). Two of us will have rigs with the Innomax...so we'll get some more feedback soon.

(standard on XL, optional on Trucks)
Hi Brian,
I never saw a follow-up to the post above and was curious what your feedback was on the Innomax mattresses that you had mentioned? Is that the brand you use in the new 24FW's? How does it compare to the original mattress found in my '17 coach?

I just called Tochta and will be sending them dimensions shortly for our 24FW so I can get a price on a hinged mattress, but wanted to consider other manufacturers as well.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
Hi Brian,
I never saw a follow-up to the post above and was curious what your feedback was on the Innomax mattresses that you had mentioned? Is that the brand you use in the new 24FW's? How does it compare to the original mattress found in my '17 coach?

I just called Tochta and will be sending them dimensions shortly for our 24FW so I can get a price on a hinged mattress, but wanted to consider other manufacturers as well.
Thanks
Well... there would not be feedback on the 24FW as that is a hinged mattress. The Innomax is an inflatable mattress with foam top. I will however say that the Innomax sleeps really, really well. I am not fan of air mattresses as they do not sleep like a normal mattress...it just feels weird when moving. However, the problem with a foam core mattress is getting the right firmness and it not breaking down over the years. The Innomax takes care of both...the core is an inflatable bladder so will never break down, but the top is a high end latex/memory foam top. So you get the best of both worlds. I am a big fan and it was "the best RV mattress so far" that my wife has slept on.

As for the hinged mattress...that has seen a few evolutions. First was two separate mattresses with a hinge sewn in. The issue is, the hinge let them slip apart. So we went to two separate with the top ticking sewn onto both at once. That has made a big difference in keeping them closer together and not separating. A memory foam topper with elastic corners virtually eliminates this altogether.

Lastly, I did order a Tochta mattress to our spec to test out (just shipped). What excites me about it is they also make two mattresses...but the difference is, they not only make the top ticking as one piece, but also 1" of memory foam. So, the hinge part is not just fabric, but foam. So in theory it will make the seam less noticeable. Its like having the memory foam topper installed from the start, it also has a 10 year warranty.

With all the shortages in this area...we are also looking to suppliers outside of the Elkhart County region. We keep propping up suppliers by buying local, which means we are also competing on labor. Its high time to prop up suppliers in other parts of the country.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Well... there would not be feedback on the 24FW as that is a hinged mattress. The Innomax is an inflatable mattress with foam top. I will however say that the Innomax sleeps really, really well. I am not fan of air mattresses as they do not sleep like a normal mattress...it just feels weird when moving. However, the problem with a foam core mattress is getting the right firmness and it not breaking down over the years. The Innomax takes care of both...the core is an inflatable bladder so will never break down, but the top is a high end latex/memory foam top. So you get the best of both worlds. I am a big fan and it was "the best RV mattress so far" that my wife has slept on.

As for the hinged mattress...that has seen a few evolutions. First was two separate mattresses with a hinge sewn in. The issue is, the hinge let them slip apart. So we went to two separate with the top ticking sewn onto both at once. That has made a big difference in keeping them closer together and not separating. A memory foam topper with elastic corners virtually eliminates this altogether.

Lastly, I did order a Tochta mattress to our spec to test out (just shipped). What excites me about it is they also make two mattresses...but the difference is, they not only make the top ticking as one piece, but also 1" of memory foam. So, the hinge part is not just fabric, but foam. So in theory it will make the seam less noticeable. Its like having the memory foam topper installed from the start, it also has a 10 year warranty.

With all the shortages in this area...we are also looking to suppliers outside of the Elkhart County region. We keep propping up suppliers by buying local, which means we are also competing on labor. Its high time to prop up suppliers in other parts of the country.

Thanks for the follow-up Brian...

Not quite sure what you are referring to about the ticking on the hinged type mattresses? Do you have any pics of what you are referring to.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks for the follow-up Brian...

Not quite sure what you are referring to about the ticking on the hinged type mattresses? Do you have any pics of what you are referring to.
Thanks
ticking is the fabric covering

noun
a strong, durable material, typically striped, used to cover mattresses and pillows.

(not sure why Webster says striped...that's dated)

Old 12-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #27

Quote:
ticking is the fabric covering

noun
a strong, durable material, typically striped, used to cover mattresses and pillows.

(not sure why Webster says striped...that's dated)

Thanks Brian. You learn something new everyday...
Old 12-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #28

Quote:

Brian

Ironically I emailed Tochta about a new mattress today. What were the "specs" you sent them? Are you talking just dimensions or would you consider wieght an issue. I have 2020.5 Isata 3 FW and am looking to replace the mattress that came with it. The fold seemed to spread every time the wife and I sleep on it creating a gap we can feel. Also have you seen or heard of any brackets at the foot to keep the sheets or blankets from coming off?
Mullacabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullacabu View Post
Brian

Ironically I emailed Tochta about a new mattress today. What were the "specs" you sent them? Are you talking just dimensions or would you consider wieght an issue. I have 2020.5 Isata 3 FW and am looking to replace the mattress that came with it. The fold seemed to spread every time the wife and I sleep on it creating a gap we can feel. Also have you seen or heard of any brackets at the foot to keep the sheets or blankets from coming off?
I gave them our current sizing, that was it. We are going to take a look at the Journey for now, then the Utopia.

As for brackets...Really any metal bracket would work to create a back stop. Or just a really tight fitted sheet. I find that many have done a mattress pad or topper that goes on like a fitted sheet and that keeps them together better.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #30

We replaced our Dx3 mattress with an Tochta Utopia. So much better than what came with it.
Dhall404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullacabu View Post
Brian

We use sheet suspenders. I think we got them from Amazon.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhall404 View Post
We replaced our Dx3 mattress with an Tochta Utopia. So much better than what came with it.

Ditto on our XL. Our model year didn’t have the new mattress Brian is referring to. If it had, we might not have replaced. We love the Tochta Utopia.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #33

Just finished up three seasons with the Tochta, still love it. It is great.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #34

Another happy tochta customer here. Going on almost 18 months of sleeping on it every night. Its definitely developed some soft/low spots but its still a great comfortable nights sleep too.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #35

Just ordered a Tochta Utopia mattress for our 24FW.

60 x 77 Utopia mattress with hinge at 35" from foot
Body section = 7" thick, 42" from head
Foot section = 10" thick, 35" from foot

Being tall, I opted to make it a couple of inches longer than our stock mattress.

Attached are some pics they sent. Thought other Isata 3 owners might find of interest, since hinged mattresses are not found on their website. File photos don't show the different thickness of the two halves but shows the design and quality of the mattress.

Thanks to all that had such glowing feedback on the Totchta mattress. Looking forward to getting ours soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HInge 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	244276   Click image for larger version

Name:	HInge 3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	244277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge 4.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	244278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	244279  
Old 12-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Just ordered a Tochta Utopia mattress for our 24FW.

Being tall, I opted to make it a couple of inches longer than our stock mattress.

Attached are some pics they sent. Thought other Isata 3 owners might find of interest, since hinged mattresses are not found on their website. File photos don't show the different thickness of the two halves but shows the design and quality of the mattress.

Thanks to all that had such glowing feedback on the Totchta mattress. Looking forward to getting ours soon.
Very interesting. I had a custom memory foam mattress made by my local upholstery lady with 5lb memory foam. She opened up the original ticking, removed the old foam and inserted the new foam. I use a 2" memory foam on top. Your mattress looks like a better option. Please keep us posted on how it works out.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:37 AM   #37
Former Tanker

Quote:

I guess the difference in thickness is to account for one part of the bed box sliding over the other? I've inquired with Tochta about a custom hinged mattress, but I overlooked that detail. Fortunately, I haven't ordered anything yet. Please do post about how it's working out.

Also, my dear wife has weighed in about wanting to leave some or all of the bedding in place when folding the mattress, at least some of the time. Looking at the pictures I got from Tochta when I asked, it doesn't appear there would be room between the folded halves to do that, but perhaps the foam is soft enough to permit it? That's another thing I'd love to hear about when you get yours in place.

Thanks.
X12AEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by X12AEsq View Post
I guess the difference in thickness is to account for one part of the bed box sliding over the other? I've inquired with Tochta about a custom hinged mattress, but I overlooked that detail. Fortunately, I haven't ordered anything yet. Please do post about how it's working out.

Also, my dear wife has weighed in about wanting to leave some or all of the bedding in place when folding the mattress, at least some of the time. Looking at the pictures I got from Tochta when I asked, it doesn't appear there would be room between the folded halves to do that, but perhaps the foam is soft enough to permit it? That's another thing I'd love to hear about when you get yours in place.

Thanks.

We should be getting our new mattress tomorrow. Looking forward to testing it out. No trips planned for a few weeks, but will definitely be laying down on it for a bit to see how it feels.

As for the bedding, on our original mattress, we typically leave the mattress pad, sheets and blanket on it when we fold it in half to bring in the slide and then put the comforter/bed spread on top of the whole thing when folded in half. The top half of the mattress doesn't lay completely flat, but I don't think that hurts anything. Planning to do the same with the new mattress unless it looks like it is putting undue stress on the hinge.

Will report back after we get our first trip in with the new mattress.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseHouse View Post
We survived with the original mattress for two years, but definitely need an improvement so we finally ordered the Tochta Utopia. If anyone else is in the market for a Tochta, use the link below to get $25 off your purchase. Tochta will also send me $25 and I'll donate it to the Unofficial Rally account.

http://tochta.refr.cc/nancybutler
Y'all are some Tochta buying people and we appreciate it! Thanks for another donation for the gathering.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #40

Another vote for the Tochta Utopia mattress. Finally got a chance to try out our new mattress and it was all that I had hoped it would be. Highly recommended!!!

Tags
replacement