Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

REV 24 house batteries

I have a 2017 REV 24, Dodge Promaster chassis. The two house batteries will not charge off the engine alternator while driving (unlike any previous RV I've owned)

I have tried it with inverter on, inverter off.., coach power on, coach power off, and still the batteries will not charge?

Checking voltage at the engine battery produces approx 13.9 - 14+V, depending on state of battery charge. Checking at house batteries 12.1 or 12.2 with engine running. Driving 6 hours may at best raise the coach battery voltage by .2 volts.

I talked to Dynamax tech support and was told that the engine alternator only acts as a battery maintainer for the house batteries.? This surely can't be right?

Batteries charge normally when connected to shore power or when running the generator

Since I boondock, this is a major issue for me and would have been a deal breaker.

I love all other aspects of this new coach and really hope to find a solution.
Thanks,
Marlin
droadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I think it is actually a fuse. Do you know who you talked to at Dynamax?

Fuse is in the OEM battery box under the drivers feet. They were equipped with a 50A fuse on the chassis and eventually got bumped to a 70A fuse. If anyone used the "emergency start switch" it could have blown this.

If the fuse is good...you can check the connection in the passenger B Pillar. They were using a crimp cap instead of a butt connector and a bad connection could be the culprit. Fuse is the easier one to check.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Promaster Aux Power Connector euppowerconn[1].pdf (178.7 KB, 152 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I think it is actually a fuse. Do you know who you talked to at Dynamax?

Fuse is in the OEM battery box under the drivers feet. They were equipped with a 50A fuse on the chassis and eventually got bumped to a 70A fuse. If anyone used the "emergency start switch" it could have blown this.

If the fuse is good...you can check the connection in the passenger B Pillar. They were using a crimp cap instead of a butt connector and a bad connection could be the culprit. Fuse is the easier one to check.
Wow. So they went from 10ga fused at 50amps to 16ga fused at 70amps.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

The engine alternator will likely put out a lot of current to charge (ALL) the batteries and can overheat some house batteries that are different from engine batteries that require a lot of charge to start the engine.

I think what support meant is that relative to the house batteries, and not talking about the engine batteries, is that yes, they can maintain the house batteries (and engine battery), but are not the most efficient or effective way to maintain the batteries by simply running the motorhome for the purpose of maintaining the house batteries.

A charger, like a TrueCharge2, will actually vary the charging procedure to properly charge and maintain a charge on the batteries when not on the road.

I did not research Dynamax, but often the initial batteries provided by various mfgs are not top of the line. When you do go top of the line, you want to learn proper charging concepts and not be limited to the engine alternator.

So yes, all alternators basically just maintain, but not properly recharge the house batteries.

If you have a TrueCharge2, make sure you do a full recharge before you get back on the road as much as possible and for storage you need a charge plan.

Here is one source of information: http://roadslesstraveled.us/rv-marin...arging-basics/
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #5

Checked battery fuses and pillar connections

Thanks for the responses. I checked the fuses in the battery compartment and I have two 70A and one 50A. All appear ok. I am not familiar with that fuse style so am not sure what a failure would look like.

The connections in the passenger door pillar also appear sound.

My contact at Dynamax was Travis Bird who I understand is new in his position and was very responsive!

I should note that while the coach is titled 2017, the chassis is a 2015 and understand that it is equipped with a 3 stage battery charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	127823  
Attached Files
Old 01-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
Commercial Member

That 50A is a sealed fuse....only way to know if it is blown is to test it.

You can check the wire in the B-pillar and if it is not getting 14V with engine running, fuse is blown.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #7

Dynamax installed 2 AGM batteries on my 2017 REV. Dynamax did not skimp on the batteries. I think they are Lifeline but I would need to look to confirm that.

According to the LED lights on the control panel my batteries are no longer accepting a full charge while driving or using the genetator or even plugged into shore power for days.

Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
The engine alternator will likely put out a lot of current to charge (ALL) the batteries and can overheat some house batteries that are different from engine batteries that require a lot of charge to start the engine.

I think what support meant is that relative to the house batteries, and not talking about the engine batteries, is that yes, they can maintain the house batteries (and engine battery), but are not the most efficient or effective way to maintain the batteries by simply running the motorhome for the purpose of maintaining the house batteries.

A charger, like a TrueCharge2, will actually vary the charging procedure to properly charge and maintain a charge on the batteries when not on the road.

I did not research Dynamax, but often the initial batteries provided by various mfgs are not top of the line. When you do go top of the line, you want to learn proper charging concepts and not be limited to the engine alternator.

So yes, all alternators basically just maintain, but not properly recharge the house batteries.

If you have a TrueCharge2, make sure you do a full recharge before you get back on the road as much as possible and for storage you need a charge plan.

Here is one source of information: RV and Marine Battery Charging Basics

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

"So yes, all alternators basically just maintain, but not properly recharge the house batteries."

Sorry but this is pure nonsense.

The charge profile is a bit different with deep cycle batts , but an alt at 14+ volts will charge house or start batts just fine.

If there is a "problem" it is with the slow rate that the house gets recharged , due to the dumb auto style V regulator.

Cruising boats have faced this slow dumb V reg problem by installing a different 3 or 4 stage regulator on the engine.

If one changes campsites and only drives a short while nothing will help, but if a few hours will pass a smarter V reg may be the answer,

Here are a few for info,

Understanding the Three-Stage Regulator - SailNet Community

Sailnet.com › SailNet Community › Contributing Authors › Miscellaneous

May 23, 2004 - 1 post - ‎1 author
The charging of the alternator drives up the voltage in the charging circuit, ... Here the three-stage regulator closely matches alternator output to ...

Marine Voltage Regulators - Defender

Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender Marine › Categories › Electrical › Alternators

Balmar BRS-2T-12-H Single Stage Voltage Regulator with Harness .... 12 Volt DC, 120 Amps, (1) Alternator Inputs (3) Battery Outputs; Charge and Isolate ...

Balmar | Marine Charging Systems | Battery Monitors | Multi-Stage ...

Balmar | Marine Charging Systems | Battery Monitors | Multi-Stage Voltage Regulators | High Power Alternators | Serpentine Pulley Conversions

Marine Charging Systems | Battery Monitors | Multi-Stage Voltage Regulators | High Power Alternators | Serpentine Pulley Conversions.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Dynamax installed 2 AGM batteries on my 2017 REV. Dynamax did not skimp on the batteries. I think they are Lifeline but I would need to look to confirm that.

According to the LED lights on the control panel my batteries are no longer accepting a full charge while driving or using the genetator or even plugged into shore power for days.

Bobby
We run Deka batteries from East Penn. Very good deep cycle battery compared to what we see in the industry. Not cheap, but way fewer problems and maintenance free.

As for the charge line...you most likely have the Progressive Dynamics converter with Charge Wizard. Very good system and I have been using it for some time at both stops. I switched Dynamax over to that after we tested the PD versus the WFCO while I was at Sunseeker. That charge line runs through the BCC (little black box with metal cover in the step well). Most likely a fuse issue as well. It would be rare for the charge line on a PD to go bad.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #10

50 Amp fuse

I checked the voltage at the pillar and showed no voltage so I am going to try replacing the fuse.
I am traveling in FL and neither Dodge dealer in the area have the 50 amp, but one does have a 70 amp.
Ok to use the 70?

Thanks,
Marlin
Old 01-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Has to be a 50A because that what it is wired for.

That's unfortunately the only tie in spot they give us. If the battery is dead, it will probably draw more than 50a if you try and use the emergency start button.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #12

I found a 50 A fuse at NAPA. Your diagnosis was spot on. The engine alternator is now providing a charge to the house batteries.
Thanks so much for your GREAT assistance.
Marlin
Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #13
Commercial Member

I wish I was that smart. I have a very good electrical engineer

Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #14

House battery charging

I neglected to ask after finding no definitive answer elsewhere;

For optimal coach battery charging from the engine alternator, do I need to:
1. Have the house power switch turned on?
2. Have the inverter powered up?

Any other considerations?

Thanks,
Marlin ....loving my REV more every day!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Inverter has nothing to do with battery charging.

House battery turned on would not hurt. I know for solar and converter charging, at one point they ran through the battery control center. I think I had them change that to "direct to the battery", so that switch position did not matter.

You could test it either way and see if it affects it. Then you'd know.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #16

If you want an optional charge, you need to have a basic understanding of how batteries work. See point 6. You need a high quality inverter/charger that provides multiple stage charges. Such advanced inverter/chargers are not normally provided with entry level units.

Upgrade your inverter and be sure you have low and high voltage protection equipment.

One source of information:
What You Need To Know About Your RV Batteries - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Mark Polk

To properly maintain and extend the life of your RV batteries you need to have a basic understanding of what a battery is and how it works. Batteries used in RVs are lead acid batteries, which means they have several cells connected in series. Each cell produces approximately 2.1 volts, so a 12-volt battery with six cells in series produces an out put voltage of 12.6 volts. Lead acid batteries are made of plates, lead and lead oxide submersed in electrolyte that is 36 percent sulfuric acid and 64 percent water. Lead acid batteries don’t make electricity they store electricity. The size of the lead plates and the amount of electrolyte determines the amount of charge a battery can store.

Now it’s very important that you use the right battery for the type of application. The battery used to start and run the engine is referred to as a chassis battery or a starting battery. Vehicle starters require large starting currents for short periods. Starting batteries have a large number of thin plates to maximize the plate area exposed to the electrolyte. This is what provides the large amount of current in short bursts. Starting batteries are rated in Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). CCA is the number of amps the battery can deliver at 0 degrees F for 30 seconds and not drop below 7.2 volts. Starting batteries should not be used for deep cycle applications.

The battery or batteries used to supply 12-volts to the RV itself are commonly referred to as house batteries. House batteries need to be deep cycle batteries that are designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period. Starting batteries and marine batteries should not be used in this application. True deep cycle batteries have much thicker plates and are designed to be deeply discharged and recharged repeatedly. These batteries are rated in Amp Hours (AH) and more recently Reserve Capacity (RC).

The amp hour rating is basically, how many amps the battery can deliver for how many hours before the battery is discharged. Amps times hours. In other words a battery that can deliver 5 amps for 20 hours before it is discharged would have a 100 amp hour rating 5 Amps X 20 Hours = 100Amp Hours. This same battery can deliver 20 amps for 5 hours 20 Amps X 5 Hours = 100 Amp Hours. Reserve Capacity rating (RC) is the number of minutes at 80 degrees F that the battery can deliver 25 amps until it drops below 10.5 volts. To figure the amp hour rating you can multiply the RC rating by 60 percent. RC X 60 percent

The two major construction types of deep cycle batteries are flooded lead acid and Valve Regulated Lead Acid. Flooded lead acid batteries are the most common type and come in two styles. Serviceable with removable caps so you can inspect and perform maintenance or the maintenance free type. In VRLA batteries, the electrolyte is suspended in either a gel or a fiberglass-mat. Gel cell batteries use battery acid in the form of a gel. They are leak proof and because of this, they work well for marine applications. There are several disadvantages to gel cell batteries for RV applications. Most importantly, they must be charged at a slower rate and a lower voltage than flooded cell batteries. Any overcharging can cause permanent damage to the cells. Absorbed Glass Mat, or AGM Technology, uses a fibrous mat between the plates, which is 90 percent soaked in electrolyte. They are more expensive than a standard deep cycle battery but they have some advantages. They can be charged the same as a standard lead acid battery, they don’t loose any water, they can’t leak, they are virtually maintenance free and they are almost impossible to freeze.

The life expectancy of your RV batteries depends on you. How they’re used, how well they’re maintained, how they’re discharged, how they’re re-charged, and how they are stored, all contribute to a batteries life span. A battery cycle is one complete discharge from 100 percent down to about 50 percent and then re-charged back to 100 percent. One important factor to battery life is how deep the battery is cycled each time. If the battery is discharged to 50 percent everyday, it will last twice as long as it would if it is cycled to 80 percent. Keep this in mind when you consider a battery’s amp hour rating. The amp hour rating is really cut in half because you don’t want to completely discharge the battery before recharging it. The life expectancy of a battery depends on how soon a discharged battery is recharged. The sooner it is recharged the better.

What does all of this mean to you? That depends on how you use your RV. If most of your camping is done where you are plugged into an electrical source then your main concern is just to properly maintain your deep cycle batteries. But if you really like to get away from it all and you do some serious dry camping you’ll want the highest amp hour capacities you can fit on your RV.

Deep cycle batteries come in all different sizes. Some are designated by Group size, like group 24, 27 and 31. Basically, the larger the battery the more amp hours you get. Depending on your needs and the amount of space you have available, there are several options when it comes to batteries.

You can use one 12-volt 24 group deep cycle battery that provides 70 to 85 AH.

You can use two 12-volt 24 group batteries wired in parallel that provides 140 to 170 AH. Parallel wiring increases amp hours but not voltage.

If you have the room, you can do what a lot of RVers do and switch from the standard 12-volt batteries to two of the larger 6-volt golf cart batteries. These pairs of 6-volt batteries need to be wired in series to produce the required 12-volts and they will provide 180 to 220 AH. Series wiring increases voltage but not amp hours.

If this still doesn’t satisfy your requirements you can build larger battery banks using four 6-volt batteries wired in series / parallel that will give you 12-volts and double your AH capacity.

The two most common causes for RV battery failure are undercharging and overcharging. Undercharging is a result of batteries being repeatedly discharged and not fully recharged between cycles. If a battery is not recharged the sulfate material that attaches to the discharged portions of the plates begins to harden into crystals. Over time, this sulfate cannot be converted back into active plate material and the battery is ruined. This also occurs when a battery remains discharged for an extended period of time. Sulfation is the number one cause of battery failure. The second leading cause of battery failure is overcharging. Overcharging batteries results in severe water loss and plate corrosion. The good news is both of these problems are avoidable.

Per FMCA article
Polk’s Top 7 Tips for Saving your RV Batteries
Mark Polk, motorhome maintenance expert

By Mark Polk
RV Education 101
https://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/205...batteries.html
Did you know that almost 85 percent of all 12-volt batteries manufactured in the United States will die before they should?

The two most common causes for RV battery failure are undercharging and overcharging. Undercharging is a result of batteries being repeatedly discharged and not fully recharged between cycles. If a battery is not recharged the sulfate material that attaches to the discharged portions of the plates begins to harden into crystals. Over time, this sulfate cannot be converted back into active plate material and the battery is ruined. This also occurs when a battery remains discharged for an extended period of time. Sulfation is the number one cause of battery failure.

The second leading cause of battery failure is overcharging. Overcharging batteries results in severe water loss and plate corrosion. This is especially true when it comes to RV batteries. The RV converter has a built-in battery charger. Most owners are under the impression that if you leave the RV plugged in when it is being stored, the converter will keep the batteries topped off.

The problem is many converter chargers provide a constant charge of about 13.5 volts, which is too high for fully charged batteries, and the electrolyte is boiled off. The result is an early death for the batteries. The good news is both of these problems are avoidable.

Here are my Top 7 quick tips to help prevent your RV batteries from becoming a statistic.

1. Sulfation will occur when a battery’s state of charge drops below 80 percent, or 12.4 volts. Recharging a battery at an 80 percent state of charge will prevent sulfation. Using a battery charger, maintainer and conditioner like the Battery Minder will prevent sulfation, too.

2. Never let a battery discharge below 10.5 volts.

3. Reducing the battery’s depth of discharge will increase the life of the battery. A battery discharged to 50 percent every day (50 percent capacity remaining) will last twice as long as it would if it’s cycled to 80 percent (20 percent capacity remaining).

4. RVs have parasitic loads that will discharge the battery over time. Some, but not all, of these loads are LP-gas leak detectors, the TV antenna power booster, clocks, stereos and appliance circuit boards. If your RV is equipped with a battery disconnect switch, make sure it is in the OFF position when you’re not using the RV or when it is in storage. Batteries in storage will self discharge. It’s not uncommon for a battery to discharge up to 10 percent a month. Check and recharge batteries in storage as required.

5. Hot temperatures and overcharging kill batteries. During hot weather or during high usage check the batteries frequently. Checking the electrolyte levels and adding distilled water as required can save your lead acid batteries.

6. Properly charging your batteries needs to be done in stages. A bulk charge should be performed to return the battery to 90 percent of a full charge in the first few hours. An absorption charge is used for the remaining 10 percent, and then a float charge to keep the battery fully charged.

7. Batteries should only be watered after charging, unless the plates are exposed prior to charging. If the plates are exposed, add just enough water to cover the plates. To get a quick picture of the battery’s condition, use a digital voltmeter. A fully charged battery should read about 12.7 volts. A battery reading of 12.4 volts or less should be charged to prevent sulfation. The battery should only be tested after resting for 12 hours. Resting means it has not been charged, or had a load placed on it over a 12-hour time period.

The sad news is most RV batteries only last two to three years. Through some routine maintenance and following some of these quick tips, you can double the life of your RV batteries.

A final note: The lead and plastic used to construct batteries can be recycled. More than 97 percent of all battery lead is recycled. Be sure to recycle your old batteries.

Happy Camping.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Just to be clear. The inverter has nothing to do with charging. It's the Converter that controls the charging on almost all RV's (barring high end diesel pushers). We actually run an inverter/charger on the Isata 5, DX3 and Dynaquest. Every other normal Class C I know of, runs a converter and possibly a separate inverter. Many Mfg's run the WFCO converter that, according to our simple tests, did not always recognize the proper charge state required. On all the Dynamax REV's and Issta's we run a Progressive Dynamics converter with their charge wizard. (Fancy name for 3 stage charger). They also claim a desulfication mode, but science is fuzzy on whether this works. All I know is the PD converter in testing, always recognized the battery state and provided the proper charge voltage. It also ran quieter, cooler and is made in the USA.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #18

Does Rev 2015 Chassis/2016 Coach have dual alternator?

Does the Rev 2015/Chassis/2016 coach have a dual alternator? The second alternator charging the house batteries?
Kayakgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #19
Commercial Member

It does not. Typically the house batteries would get charged off of the excess voltage from the primary alternator. If they are not, it is typically a fuse that has blown. The only circled in this attached file.
Attached Files

Old 05-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #20

Brian,
With the 2 AGM deep cycle 12v batteries that came with the Rev- how much total amp hours do I have?
Thanks- Kayakgirl
Kayakgir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries