Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2024, 04:38 PM   #1

Rock Guard (mud flap) Attachment

A month or so ago, an incident involving the rock guard coming loose and dragging behind the coach was the subject of a posting. That motivated me to check mine. Sure enough, the eye bolt to which the rock guard attaches to the Freightliner frame on the driver side was just a few threads from coming detached. The eye bolt was secured to the frame with a nut where the bolt enters the frame, and a nut where the bolt exits (top). The lower nut had “star-type” lock washer. The top nut had no lock washer, and had backed off almost to the end of the bolt. The eye bolt on the passenger side was still secure. I tightened the loose nut, and will replace with a locking nut.

I thought this was a fairly random event, but today saw a new owner’s posting discussing his rock guard coming loose. I know the rock guard has considerable fore-aft movement as the coach goes down the road, but am surprised there would be enough of the necessary forces to loosen the attaching nut on a low mileage vehicle.

In any event, something to check for owners, and maybe an assembly process review for Dynamax.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:38 AM   #2

If you ever happen to follow another Dynamax, you will notice that rock guard actually takes flight and is almost horizontal on some highways. I am sure that swinging motion moves that chain link enough to work it loose. I added blue loctite. Actually I add it to almost anything that might work loose due to highway vibrations and movements.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:38 AM   #3

2 sets of nuts and bolts to attach a dynamic object? I'd be checking mine too and reassemble with locktite blue
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:49 AM   #4

I picked up my DX3 on May 8th, left my Iowa dealer and within the first couple hundred miles I was flagged down by a trucker because I was dragging my rock guard. The remaining nut that was still attached was loose and ready to fall off, obviously the side I was dragging (that upper nut) was long gone.

The attached pic shows the eye bolt assembly. The nut you see is the lower nut, the upper nut that secures to my frame is the one that fell off soon after I left the lot.

This seems to be a pattern, I'd recommend checking ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3054 (1).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	299978  
foothold58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:28 PM   #5

That is exactly the manner mine would have come loose had I not been inspired by another owner’s experience to inspect the hardware.

I have followed this forum for over seven years. Until just the last few months, I don’t recall any mention of this issue, and it seems to occur within first few thousand miles of use. I wonder if there was a recent change in hardware specification, assembly process, or line personnel?
Old 05-19-2024, 10:49 PM   #6

I weaved heavy duty zipties through them and the eye hook. That way if it does come undone the zipties will hold it for the trip until I check it. And I check it each trip. I think using these as well as attaching them so they spin down instead of up is a bad idea.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:52 PM   #7

Seems like a good place for a nylock instead of a lock washer and nut at the top. Will check ours when we get it back from DDRV.
malmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:08 PM   #8

A trick I learned in the Air Force was to safety wire thru the shackle bolt eye and around the shaft of the shackle to prevent it spinning out. Another thing I learned rock climbing was never use a screw on lock on a d-ring or oval link, they always loosen at the worst time. Find a shackle with a wired pin would work better to attach to a chain or eyebolt.
Phila. Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 06:15 PM   #9
MVD

Thanks for posting this. Finally had a chance to check ours today (4,400 miles) add both attachment points had loosened. Tightened as a temporary fix but will upgrade attachments before our next trip.
2024 Europa 32KD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3759.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	300558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	300559  
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
2016 LTV Unity MB
2002 Pace Arrow 36
MVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 05:17 PM   #10

Got my 24 32kd back to check. Sept 2023 build. My nuts were all tight but I did add a 3/8 -16 nylock on top of the existing nut to be safe. Mine also has snap clips from the factory instead of removable chain links.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240608_150542.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	300696  
Old 06-08-2024, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmz View Post
Got my 24 32kd back to check. Sept 2023 build. My nuts were all tight but I did add a 3/8 -16 nylock on top of the existing nut to be safe. Mine also has snap clips from the factory instead of removable chain links.
I believe our our coaches went down the line within a few days of each other. Mine also has the snap clips, instead of the quick links used on current production. The quick links are not expensive and appear to have a greater load capacity than the snap clips, so I’m contemplating switching over to the quick links.
Old 06-09-2024, 11:36 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by png31 View Post
I believe our our coaches went down the line within a few days of each other. Mine also has the snap clips, instead of the quick links used on current production. The quick links are not expensive and appear to have a greater load capacity than the snap clips, so I’m contemplating switching over to the quick links.
Why? We have to test LP tanks to 5 times the weight of the tank. We used the same principal for the mud flap. Both the spring clip and the threaded quick link are overkill for the purpose/weight of the mudflap.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Why? We have to test LP tanks to 5 times the weight of the tank. We used the same principal for the mud flap. Both the spring clip and the threaded quick link are overkill for the purpose/weight of the mudflap.
Without performing a full load analysis, the short answer is after seeing the heavier quick links on the newest coaches, I felt that method provided provided an extra margin of load capacity.

When I was resecuring the loose attachment bolts, I was surprised at the weight of the rock guard. As others have said here, it is continuously in motion while under way, and under some not inconsiderable dynamic loads. Considering the potential for damage to third parties if the rock guard were to detach from the vehicle, its more a peace of mind issue.
Old 06-09-2024, 02:05 PM   #14

I am fine with the clips, they are stout.. if I had the removable links I would put locktite on the threads and snug the with a wrench all the way closed so they don't rattle loose, I did that with the permanent base plate safety cables on my toad that are there in case the base plates were to separate from the frame.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:46 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by png31 View Post
Without performing a full load analysis, the short answer is after seeing the heavier quick links on the newest coaches, I felt that method provided provided an extra margin of load capacity.

When I was resecuring the loose attachment bolts, I was surprised at the weight of the rock guard. As others have said here, it is continuously in motion while under way, and under some not inconsiderable dynamic loads. Considering the potential for damage to third parties if the rock guard were to detach from the vehicle, its more a peace of mind issue.
The heavier quick link is on the older coaches, we are transitioning to the spring loaded ones. We had situations where the threaded quick links either were tightened and became untightened and I am sure there are some that were never tightened. Either way, they came loose. The spring ones, prevent this being a possibility.

maybe there were some spring loaded that were subs for when the threaded ones came off.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The heavier quick link is on the older coaches, we are transitioning to the spring loaded ones. We had situations where the threaded quick links either were tightened and became untightened and I am sure there are some that were never tightened. Either way, they came loose. The spring ones, prevent this being a possibility.

maybe there were some spring loaded that were subs for when the threaded ones came off.
Good information to know, and I appreciate the factory input! Others have previously mentioned it, but I am always impressed that an individual of your management level has such detailed knowledge of the design and assembly of even minor components, and are willing to take the time to share it with your customers.