RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #1

Roof maintenance

What is the procedure for maintaining the Dycor sealants on the roof. No leaks, just want to make sure none start. Can you just add a coat over the old or does the old have to be removed First.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
What is the procedure for maintaining the Dycor sealants on the roof. No leaks, just want to make sure none start. Can you just add a coat over the old or does the old have to be removed First.
Use EternaBond Tape over the Dicor sealant, if done correctly you will never have to worry about it for another 10 years. Clean the dicor and adjacent area with mineral spirits on a rag, wipe down with rag and denatured alcohol, lay down the tape doing a foot or so at a time, roll it down with a seam roller to insure good bonding. Full instructions are in the Library section of the forum under Awnings, Roofs and Exterior
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #3

From talking to Greg, they just seal over the existing. I'm sure there is a limit on how far you want to go, but a couple of times you should be fine if you just want to touch things up. Definitely better than nothing at all I'd think.

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

X2 for the Externabond tape. Great stuff! Best deals from Ebay or Amazon. I buy it by 4 inch wide X 50 foot long. Be sure to clean the surface really good before installing as Scrapper said. If you don't have any leaks use it anyway to seal all seams and you won't have to worry about leaks. I have used it on my patio roof also.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
Dynamax - Warranty, Parts

Sealant Maintenance

For sealant you will want to inspect, touch up and or replace as needed every six months.

Cracks, gaps and voids you can touch up by applying new sealant over the old. Make sure to clean the area prior to application of the sealant with 98% or better isopropyl alcohol. This will give you a clean surface free of residue that normal cleaning product may leave behind for the best possible bond.

If an area is pealing you will want to remove anything loose completely and follow up with rubbing alcohol before applying the new sealant.

The same is true for the caulk on all of the exterior moldings and seams below the roof line.
ddobecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Love my Rev

if you are talking the " water type " sealant for a rubber type roof / just clean with mild dish soap and then put on using a floor sponge mop , but dont let it run over the sides. , very easy
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof