Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
RV dehumidifier

Do you use one in your RV? Not for storage, when your camping in humid climates. Was thinking of getting one for the bathroom

We always run the fan when showering
Dry off our feet before stepping out so bathroom carpet doesn't get too wet
We put used bath towels hanging open on hooks outside the bathroom, AND leave bathroom door open.

Still towels smell musty too fast. And those towels are fresh and clean before we go (I'm a fanatic about that)

I can't leave any towels in the bathroom cabinets, they will smell musty.

Anyone have this issue?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #2

if your ac is on its pulling the humidity out.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #3

Haven't noticed that in our I5, we usually run one or both AC's when it is humid. We use a squeegee to get the water off the glass shower enclosure and shower floor. Our bathroom is in the center of the coach.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Apparently not good enough for the bathroom. This problem happens with both A/Cs running. I can try a squeegee
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #5

I use a full-size dehumidifier in my home basement in the summer...

It does add heat to the air... just an FYI

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

We use the squeegee on the glass and shower floor too before we get out to keep the dripping minimal. Kimber is correct. If AC is running it is pulling moisture out.
As to dehumidifiers, full size conventional compressor units work the best, but, more cumbersome size, power usage and emit heat, which you are trying to get rid of with the AC. That brings you to a electronic dehumidifier. I do use one. I set it in the LR area and it does work, only nowhere as well as a compressor style. Compact size, low power usage, low heat coming off of it and low $$. I've seen it pull a quart of moisture over a couple days running in humid conditions and runs even when the AC cycles off. I do keep 3 air circulating fans on in those conditions. Might work even better for you in a RV bathroom since it's a much smaller space. FWIW...Eva-Dry 2000
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

On a semi related subject, we put Damp-Rid containers in our RV and I am really surprised how much moisture it pulls.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
We use the squeegee on the glass and shower floor too before we get out to keep the dripping minimal. Kimber is correct. If AC is running it is pulling moisture out.
As to dehumidifiers, full size conventional compressor units work the best, but, more cumbersome size, power usage and emit heat, which you are trying to get rid of with the AC. That brings you to a electronic dehumidifier. I do use one. I set it in the LR area and it does work, only nowhere as well as a compressor style. Compact size, low power usage, low heat coming off of it and low $$. I've seen it pull a quart of moisture over a couple days running in humid conditions and runs even when the AC cycles off. I do keep 3 air circulating fans on in those conditions. Might work even better for you in a RV bathroom since it's a much smaller space. FWIW...Eva-Dry 2000

I was looking at that one, maybe even the 1000 just in the bathroom?
Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
On a semi related subject, we put Damp-Rid containers in our RV and I am really surprised how much moisture it pulls.

Mark
Mark I always put a coupe of those in over the winter, they do work well
Old 11-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #10

The thing to do is to move the moisture outside, when possible. When that isn't possible, find a way to get rid of it. Excessive moisture is your enemy! it will kill an RV or at least make it unlivable quicker than you might think.

First off, get an electronic thermometer with a hygrometer like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW369VK
You need to be able to tell the humidity level in your RV. You want it to be below 55% and ideally about 45-50%. Anything above 55 and you risk growing nasty stuff.

Some good rules to follow, when camping:
Use the exhaust fan, while showering.
Use a chamois to wipe down the shower walls, then hang the chamois outside (move the moisture outside).
Hang the wet towels outside to dry.
If the humidity is over 55% and the air Conditioner isn't running, either make it run, or get a decent dehumidifier to remove the moisture.
If the dehumidifier can't keep up, I'll even turn on the fireplace (electric heat) to 71 degrees and then set the air conditioner to 70 degrees, until the humidity gets down to an acceptable level. Yes, it is that important.

Unless you are staying in desert of another low-humidity area, the damp-rid containers will not do a good job of keeping your humidity levels low enough. They will leach out a little bit of the moisture, but not much and not quickly. Get the item listed above an test it yourself.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
I was looking at that one, maybe even the 1000 just in the bathroom?
I don't think there was much difference in size or cost between the 2000 and 1000. I did it mainly to improve cooling performance, I could get the humidity down to 40%
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
Haven't noticed that in our I5, we usually run one or both AC's when it is humid. We use a squeegee to get the water off the glass shower enclosure and shower floor. Our bathroom is in the center of the coach.
The ac basically works the same as a dehumidifier . it should keep is fairly dry inside . you should also notice the condensation coming from the ac outside this is all the moisture it removed from the inside air . mine here in Fl seems to create a couple gallons a day
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote