Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

RV+Toad Length Limits (States’ Laws)

Doing some research and noted a handful of states have length limit on what the RV plus Towed vehicle can be. Looks like if you keep to 60ft you are good for almost all the states’ laws. Since the Dx3 RB (we really like this one) is 41’2”, the tow bar is about 4’, then that means dinghy can only be about 15’. This really narrows the available vehicles to consider, if I’m reading this right.

Would like to hear from experience travelers on this. Do you find states enforcing this law or is it something in the “suggestion” category?
hitchn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Always Learning

I have never read of someone being cited for being over length. I had a fellow pull into a campground beside me that was a 40' class A pulling something like a 40' car trailer. He said all told, he's about 80' long. Looked insane to me. But I digress.

When I was looking at my truck + fifth wheel combination, I expected to be around or over 60' bumper to bumper. I starting looking up Maryland's laws on the topic. The online guides said 55' maximum so I reached out directly to Maryland. The response was basically - I should be less than 55', but if I'm over, I'm supposed to stay to interstates where possible and when I have to leave the interstate, to take the most direct route to my destination.

Other states may be different. I measure at 59 1/2' long bumper to bumper and have been extensively through 25-30 states so far in the last 5+ years (2+ of them fulltiming).

Of course, your milage may vary.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #3

Im in a DX3 BH and pull a 26' trailer and have not been messed with. Was even pulled over in PA by a trooper and he never even mentioned the length. 72' long total.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

I'm about 65' overall. Never had an issue. Don't really worry about it too much either
Old 11-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

65’ max in California and they will ticket the crap out of you and I’ve seen them make people unhook and find someone else to tow that’ll be under the max.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

We were right at 65.5" before we sold the 22' enclosed trailer. We replaced it with a 16' enclosed trailer, so I should be fine now. LOL. It seems to me that if someone wants to pull you over for something, they will find a reason to give you a ticket.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
DDC

Whatever the law is in your state dictates the total length, it is covered by international treaty laws.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #8

I am not sure how "International Treaty Laws" affect length of a vehicle in the US?

This seems like the same discussion that happened on here a few months ago about CDL requirements for certain states with our rigs.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #9

The law in the particular state/province you are driving in applies regarding the length of your vehicle.
British Columbia and California are the two places (to my knowledge) where the 65' limitation is enforced.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #10

Motorhome toad combo length

I delivered motorhomes from 1997 - 2016 to every state in the continental US and many Canadian provinces accumulating nearly one million miles. Frequently I was delivering the largest of the diesel pushers while towing a variety of toads over the years, i.e. Saturn, Hondas and the last a Toyota Rav 4. As a commercial driver, I was always required to stop at weigh stations and the "port of entries" where they existed to obtain appropriate permits. Never was my overall length an issue. You could have an issue in some states if you choose a triple vehicle combination such as a motorhome, pickup truck and a boat trailer. Regulations for triples vary from state.
Hope this helps.

Marlin
droadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Many states I've seen are 65'. Double towing puts me right at 65 feet-ish.
The ONLY time the total length has been a concern is when we take the ferry and I have to pay the fare!
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #12

I’m @ 66 1/2
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not a legal expert by any means, but I saw some comments posted on here that are incorrect to say the least. What is legal in your "home state" is a good starting point for debate with a law officer and will most likely get you away with a simple warning, but that does not mean you're off the hook because "you can do it at home". I can carry my firearm in the vehicle at home, but let me cross that Canadian border and I'm in prison. I point that out because of a statement made here concerning laws of residence being protected by "international treaty" - not always true. From what I've seen, it's more of a common sense approach to the laws. Obviously, if your home state allows 65' total length and you drive into a state that only allows 55', adjust your driving attitudes and you should be able to explain yourself to any LEO that pulls you over. Most likely, they're going to see your out of state plates and not even bother. I have heard of folks being pulled over, especially in south Georgia, for length issues. One fellow I heard about actually keyed on to the fact that the Georgia folks were eyeballing for length to pull you over, so he got his own tape to measure with so he could prove he was under their limits. Of course, they didn't bother to notice that he had cut the tape around the 20' mark and spliced in an additional 10' of tape, either. So what to do? Follow the rules of your home state (where your rig is licensed) and be ready to explain yourself in a calm and respectful manner if pulled over. Common sense and manners will serve you better than an attorney in most cases. Just my two cents worth and probably not worth those two pennies, so feel free to take or leave the advice. Have a great day and stay safe!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
Insert witty title here

If you are legal in your home state, you are legal in every other state.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
If you are legal in your home state, you are legal in every other state.
On Interstates, yes.
Length and axle weight restrictions are enforceable by state. If another state has ruled that their roads are only capable of handling a certain size or up to a certain weight it will be up to the officers discretion to enforce it and the state to prove it in court.
For RV's the only time I would expect any of this to come to play is to show blame for a crash. For example if you're over length and you take out a street light post on a right hand turn in a town, I'd expect an over length summons if the officer observed an obvious length issue. Or in most cases you end up with a "catch all" summons like careless driving.
RV's just are not targeted like commercial trucking so personally I see no worry.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #16

click on link shows each state limits

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php

no guarantee that the info is absolutely correct but does give you general info.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #17

I don't think the list is correct. I.e. Indiana (the birth place of most rv's) & Arizona 28'6" max trailer length can't be right.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #18

I checked a second source and it also states the lower trailer length. But --- I also noticed that most of the states that list a low trailer length allow triple tow. So I believe that if you are within max tow length with single trailer behind motorhome you should be good.

Most all of the single trailers I haul are 53 foot. Only use shorter trailer when hauling doubles.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #19
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I don't think the list is correct. I.e. Indiana (the birth place of most rv's) & Arizona 28'6" max trailer length can't be right.
That length is specific to a Truck Tractor plus 2 trailers attached (double towing) then each trailer can only be the 28' 6.

In many if not all Commercial trucks are separate from Recreational vehicles.
Here's the Indiana law for mobile home:
Sec. 4*. A person may operate a vehicle towing a mobile home that has:

(1) a combined overall length not greater than sixty (60) feet;

(2) a width not greater than ninety-six (96) inches;  and

(3) a height not greater than thirteen (13) feet, six (6) inches;

And to support what I said earlier about Interstate highways being exempt from local state laws here is their statute:

Sec. 5*. This chapter does not apply to interstate highways to the extent that the application of this chapter to those highways would cause the state to be deprived of any federal funds for highway purposes.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #20

I agree that many states have regulations that are different for commercial vs. rec vehicle limits.
That is why I referenced the state listings from the rv trip wizard site

You will notice that the site also states that it may not be 100% accurate.

My opinion === If you are overlength on the max length stated then I would check further into that state's rules
otherwise if inside max length I don't worry about it.

Tags
toad