Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #1

Exclamation RVI Brake problem

This is not a coach issue, but wondering if anyone has had problems with the RVI braking system. We installed the RVI 3 brake on our Chevy Spark in January and took a short weekend trip. Everything worked fine. We are now on a 4 month trip and after about 20 miles our toad starts braking on its own. I have been in communication with customer support trying to figure out what the problem is. We thought we had it fixed, however, on Monday as we were driving through the Smoky Mountains our toad started braking. We pulled over and the brakes were smoking. All of our wiring is correct.

This is the email I received from RVI:

“Ok Sandra,
First of all, I am sorry that happened. It is very scary and also frustrating. So again, I am sorry that you had to experience that. The only way that can happen is if there was still some stored vacuum is your vehicle.

So stored vacuum can only happen then there is still air left if in the air line hoses that controls the brake in your towed vehicle. The most common way we see it happen is when you go to start your vehicle either before they take off in the morning or after you they stop to get food and or fill up on gas. When you start your vehicle to get the transmission fluids moving around and or to charge up your battery if you do not have a Towed Battery Charger Plus, and then not resetting up the RVibrake3 and pressing the red auto position button. If you did that, then I would suggest setting everything up the way your owners manual states to do so. Then pump the brake peddle with your foot a couple of times before setting up the RVibrake3. That will ensure that there isn't any extra stored air in your vacuum lines.”

The explanation above do not make sense to me. We said we wanted to return the system. We’re at our wit’s end. Any suggestions?
altlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlamp View Post
This is not a coach issue, but wondering if anyone has had problems with the RVI braking system. We installed the RVI 3 brake on our Chevy Spark in January and took a short weekend trip. Everything worked fine. We are now on a 4 month trip and after about 20 miles our toad starts braking on its own. I have been in communication with customer support trying to figure out what the problem is. We thought we had it fixed, however, on Monday as we were driving through the Smoky Mountains our toad started braking. We pulled over and the brakes were smoking. All of our wiring is correct.

This is the email I received from RVI:

“Ok Sandra,
First of all, I am sorry that happened. It is very scary and also frustrating. So again, I am sorry that you had to experience that. The only way that can happen is if there was still some stored vacuum is your vehicle.

So stored vacuum can only happen then there is still air left if in the air line hoses that controls the brake in your towed vehicle. The most common way we see it happen is when you go to start your vehicle either before they take off in the morning or after you they stop to get food and or fill up on gas. When you start your vehicle to get the transmission fluids moving around and or to charge up your battery if you do not have a Towed Battery Charger Plus, and then not resetting up the RVibrake3 and pressing the red auto position button. If you did that, then I would suggest setting everything up the way your owners manual states to do so. Then pump the brake peddle with your foot a couple of times before setting up the RVibrake3. That will ensure that there isn't any extra stored air in your vacuum lines.”

The explanation above do not make sense to me. We said we wanted to return the system. We’re at our wit’s end. Any suggestions?
Hello Sandra. First off I will say I’m not familiar with this system. It sounds like they want you to make sure that the vacuum brake booster is empty of vacuum. That is why they want you to pump the brakes to empty the system. With the engine off pump the brake pedal on the car until the pedal feels hard. That will empty the system. Also I would make sure the brake lights are not staying on as that would engage the system. I would also go through the instructions and make sure your not missing anything.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks Bill. We have read and re-read the manual. Will try pumping the brakes. What we don’t understand is why it works for about 20 miles.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks Bill. We have read and re-read the manual. Will try pumping the brakes. What we don’t understand is why it works for about 20 miles.
It may take that long to heat up the brakes with the residual vacuum in the system if not completely bleed out.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #5

I’m reading through the manual again and step 5 reads after pushing the auto position button on the brake “The Auto Position process automatically positions RVibrake3 in the seat pan of the towed vehicle, and removes vacuum stored in the towed vehicles braking system.” So it doesn’t sound like there’s any store vacuum in our brakes because we get me message that the RVI brake is ready.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
Always Learning

I'm following along attentively. I am a new user to the RVi Brake system and don't seem to have the issue, but I'm still reading along.

Since they're recommending that you pump the brakes a few times, it could be that the single pump or two from setting up the RVi Brake may not be sufficient for your specific vehicle.

Seems like it's worth trying.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #7

We have been using the RVI2 system for years without any issues on our class c mh and on our current dp. It is imperative to insure all of the vacuum pressure in the toad’s power brake reservoir is discharged since the braking system is designed to push against a brake pedal without vacuum assist.
One thought about why it occurs after 20 minutes is that your toad’s brakes need to be bled. If air gets into your brake lines the air will expand when it warms up which will make your brakes drag.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
We have been using the RVI2 system for years without any issues on our class c mh and on our current dp. It is imperative to insure all of the vacuum pressure in the toad’s power brake reservoir is discharged since the braking system is designed to push against a brake pedal without vacuum assist.
One thought about why it occurs after 20 minutes is that your toad’s brakes need to be bled. If air gets into your brake lines the air will expand when it warms up which will make your brakes drag.

We’ll try pumping the brakes the next time. Finally got in the phone with RVi brake and they asked me to send photos of our entire set up. Also sent them videos. Waiting impatiently for a phone call back.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #9

Problem solved!

We have to disconnect our battery on our toad, so we installed a battery disconnect to enable our RVI brake to get power from our battery. The line from the battery to the RVI brake malfunctioned. We replaced it and now everything’s good!
Old 06-20-2022, 08:47 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Problem solved!

We have to disconnect our battery on our toad, so we installed a battery disconnect to enable our RVI brake to get power from our battery. The line from the battery to the RVI brake malfunctioned. We replaced it and now everything’s good!
Congrats! How did you find this?
Old 06-20-2022, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Congrats! How did you find this?
We took the line out and noticed an area was frayed. Didn’t have to buy a new line, just spiced the one we had and set it up again. That would be the first place I would look if it happens to you. We previously checked the wiring and also used a voltage meter and all seemed good. I guess the bad part on the wire got worse over time. All is good now.

Another thing, I didn’t understand then customer service told me there was air in the brake vacuum because when we press the red button it releases the air. That’s why we thought the system was faulty if they asked us to pump the brakes.