Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

Series 3 air conditioner

I have a 2020 series 3 with an airexcel 15k BTU air conditioner (which I acquired new last July). First time RV owner, so I don't know what passes for normal here.

Since day one I have had a problem cooling of the coach on high temperature days. It was somewhat understandable, when the a/c couldn't reduce the inside temp lower than 90-95° on a 115° day in full sun while in Lake Havasu. But on a 100° day, I would expect it to do better than this. It doesn't, it can't get the inside temp under 90°.

While the unit is definitely blowing cold air, it can't seem to lower the inside temp under 80° until well after the sun goes down.

Is this typical or do I have a problem?

Thanks
msandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #2

We were camping in central California and temp was 107, was relatively cool inside. But
It was dry heat, not super humid. We have 2018 isata 3 fw.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #3

You can only expect 15-20 degrees reduction from the outside air temp using RV type AC units. What you are describing seems normal.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

The 15-20deg is kind of what I expected. So dealing with 115deg temp I completely get.

But for example, yesterday evening we pull in for the night at 6pm and it's 97deg. The site was in full sun, we pulled the blinds on all the windows facing west and it took 3 hours (and the sun going down) for the inside temp to get down to 80. I suspect the outside temp had gone down to 90deg by then. So at best, I'm getting a 10deg drop.

I also suspect that the radiant heat is a significant contributor to the problem.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #5

Being from AZ we track those things fairly close. I have been lucky enough to get it down to about 88 degrees while camping in Parker in August. It was a cool 116 degrees. Shade of course helps and probably the reason for my luck. 20-25 degree cool down is really great and about the best you’ll get. And wouldn’t you know it the Thermal fuse blew on the Refrigerator during the same trip. We carry extras for that now. Ice machine was the only thing that got us through. Best advice don’t camp in the western AZ deserts in the summer time!!😊
ferrisjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #6

I assume your ac is a sealed unit, meaning it is sucking warm air from inside the rv, then cooling that off. If so get a decent thermometer and measure the temp on the intake side and on the outgoing side. You should be seeing at least a 20 degree drop. If less then that the ac isn't working up to snuff.

We got a new 5th wheel last june and one of the ac units only managed about 5-10 degrees. My next walkthru I'll bring a thermometer...

Adam
alealitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #7

You can find lots of videos on tuning RV ACs.

Some of the things to check:
- is the baffle between air intake and outlet properly seated and sealed
- are the filters clean
- are the compressor and condenser coils clean
- if ducted, are the duct inlets and outlets sealed properly
- if ducted, some folks like the styrofoam flow improvers

Get an inexpensive IR gun to check the outlet temp
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:44 AM   #8

That’s about what we have noticed on hot days. Try closing all shades and turn off as many lights as you can. We also turn our AC on early am in hot weather to get a jump on cooling things down.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #9

Thanks all... I'll investigate further with my temp gun once I get home.

Tags
air conditioner