Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #1

Serpentine Belt Fraying.

So, When I picked up my Preowned 2015 DX3 37BHHD from Lazydays in Florida, they said that they had to replace the fan belt since there were some chunks missing from it and is was frayed. I asked them if they saw any specific issues that might have caused it since it was only a year old. They stated that something might have flown up in there from the road and took a small trip with the belt causing the belt to fray. When I took possession of the unit, the belt that they put on was indeed a new belt. I have only had it since September 2016 and have about 3000 miles on it on two trips. While I was tracing some wires today, I noticed an 8" sliver of rubberized thread on the engine block, of which I immediately recognized as part of the serpentine belt. I thought, that this was just a remnant of the belt change that had occurred only 5 months prior.

I then looked at the belt and to my surprise, this 5 month old belt was also frayed and only had 6 out of what looked like should be 7-8 ridges on the belt remaining.

Is anyone else having this issue with prematurely shredded belts?
Is there one belt better than the other as far as what anyone has previously used or had experience with?

This first photo shows what appears to be the belt fitting perfectly less the missing strand or strands on the left side. Maybe they used the wrong belt?
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 02-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #2

Additionally, has anyone had to change this belt, and is it pretty straight forward like any other pickup truck belt, or are there some specific issues or tools required to change this other than relieving the tension on the belt spring idler bearing on the passenger side of the engine? Also, what is the best belt that any of you recommend above factory?

I didn't see a serpentine diagram since it was getting dark, anyone remember where it is located if there is one? Or if there isn't one, anyone got a diagram to route the belt correctly?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

I'm not sure anymore but I was always told if the belt is shredding as that one looks it is because of a bearing going bad or bent pulley. It's been a long time since I've had a problem like this.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraym View Post
So, When I picked up my Preowned 2015 DX3 37BHHD from Lazydays in Florida, they said that they had to replace the fan belt since there were some chunks missing from it and is was frayed. I asked them if they saw any specific issues that might have caused it since it was only a year old. They stated that something might have flown up in there from the road and took a small trip with the belt causing the belt to fray. When I took possession of the unit, the belt that they put on was indeed a new belt. I have only had it since September 2016 and have about 3000 miles on it on two trips. While I was tracing some wires today, I noticed an 8" sliver of rubberized thread on the engine block, of which I immediately recognized as part of the serpentine belt. I thought, that this was just a remnant of the belt change that had occurred only 5 months prior.

I then looked at the belt and to my surprise, this 5 month old belt was also frayed and only had 6 out of what looked like should be 7-8 ridges on the belt remaining.

Is anyone else having this issue with prematurely shredded belts?
Is there one belt better than the other as far as what anyone has previously used or had experience with?

This first photo shows what appears to be the belt fitting perfectly less the missing strand or strands on the left side. Maybe they used the wrong belt?
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Could be an optical illusion, but the from the photo the AC clutch pulley looks tweaked. (wider at the middle than the top or bottom).
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #5

I watched all of the pulleys and they all run true. Not wobbling or anything.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #6

My experience is the belt is off alignment. My first check is the bearings in the idler/s and the tensioner.

The last time I had a belt eater it was the bushing in the tensioner bad. It was cocked just a tiny bit causing the belt to walk over time and eat the edge. 2 pricey belts later I replaced the tensioner and belt again. Problem solved prolly 30k miles.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #7
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
My experience is the belt is off alignment. My first check is the bearings in the idler/s and the tensioner.

The last time I had a belt eater it was the bushing in the tensioner bad. It was cocked just a tiny bit causing the belt to walk over time and eat the edge. 2 pricey belts later I replaced the tensioner and belt again. Problem solved prolly 30k miles.
I agree. At idle, it may appear that everything is good. Observe the pulleys under engine acceleration load, especially the tensioner. The tensioner is the work-horse of the serpentine system.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #8

Check in your owners manual for belt routing. Is that 3000 miles total or just since you owned it? Warranty? Good luck.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
Check in your owners manual for belt routing. Is that 3000 miles total or just since you owned it? Warranty? Good luck.
I have driven 3000 miles, its got a total of 7k. No warranty. It came with a 3/36m warranty. 3 Minutes, 36 Miles from the dealership.

Anybody got any advise on which belts are better than others?

Also, the Freightliner owners manual had a generic diagram for a different engine. I think it was a Caterpillar. Of which is not useful to my Cummins.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Napa green stripe belt.....draw yourself a pic on how it's now routed
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

If Gates makes it it's good. This is there HD service belt

FleetRunner® Heavy-Duty V-Belts | Gates Corporation

Unless you got a Wal-mart belt... I doubt this is the problem. IMO
Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Napa green stripe belt.....draw yourself a pic on how it's now routed
+1. Actually, it's not a NAPA belt. it's a Gates Green Stripe extreme duty belt.

I would check the tensioner before replacement. Easy to check, just watch it while the motor is running. If it don't move at all (move slightly as the pulley's spin, it's frozen and needs replaced. Not hard either.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #13

Here is a thought. IF the original belt did get torn because of some road debris it could be possible that it created a burr, dent, score, ?? in one of the pulleys. This could start the belt fraying a minute amount and it would develop from there.

Something is definitely off as one of those belts should last a very long time.

Best of luck solving the issue.

Marc
lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #14
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
+1. Actually, it's not a NAPA belt. it's a Gates Green Stripe extreme duty belt.

I would check the tensioner before replacement. Easy to check, just watch it while the motor is running. If it don't move at all (move slightly as the pulley's spin, it's frozen and needs replaced. Not hard either.
Sure glad I've got a Big brother following me around...
Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #15

I agree on an alignment issue. Sometimes, if room allows, you can put a straight edge on the drive and driven pulleys and detect a misalignment issue. What ever replacement belt you end up using make sure it doesn't get creased flat. It can fracture the fibers inside the belt. Don't ask how I know.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Bob:

I always enjoy your dry humor and you know that. Besides, I am older than you are...little brother....

I actually was going to comment on the post about how the belts last a good long time.

In actuality the replacement belt could have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years, slowly succumbing to ozone degradtion, one never knows because, unlike tires, there is no date code on a belt and the op has no idea where the installer got it in the first place.

Consequently, the age of the belt is a crapshoot. It could very well be onlder than the one it replaced.

I still think the spring loaded idler is seized. I've seen that happen before.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
If Gates makes it it's good. This is there HD service belt

FleetRunner® Heavy-Duty V-Belts | Gates Corporation

Unless you got a Wal-mart belt... I doubt this is the problem. IMO
All I install and they ain't cheap either.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #18
Left Coast

Me too....Was mess'n with you.....lol
Old 02-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #19

Quote:

I didn't interrupt....Napa is yellow stripe(Gates) and Gates is green stripe. Same product.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #20
Left Coast

Same answer....Mess'n !...lol