Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamChambers View Post
Your story of camping in parking lots at ski resorts is right up my alley ... I have dreams of taking my family up the powder highway before we they get to old ...

In one of your rigs!

Cheers!

ps ... a couple of pics from our adventures
Exactly. Good times....other than the 6 am crunching of snow as employees pull in.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
Brian,

One limiting factor on the current design for off road boondocking is ride clearance especially with levelers.

If the design includes levelers look at how to change to improve clearance or look at a slight lift kit to improve clearance.

Thanks.
I have already asked about that. Nothing stock from ram, only aftermarket. Then their concern is warranty. May have to look at telescopic jacks. I think HWH makes some.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #43

I like the single slide and 12V AC. DW wants that 24x36 shower to have a 6 to 8” lip so she could have a small tub. Love my DX3 but more boondock friendly would be nice.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Every time somebody sends me that pic I reply with this one. I prefer to dream about reality Attachment 197867

This one pushes the right buttons for me.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #45

Brian,

Glad to read that you are exploring the I5 idea. I like the 30’ length, helps with regular use in more populated areas. Not everyone needs to transport a kayak or skis or a howitzer.

Maybe consider offering a keep it simple model. Seems like other responders want whatever option they can dream of as standard.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #46

Brian, please don’t put a lift on the isata5. At least until I purchase. I’d like it to fit in my heated garage.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:11 PM   #47

Brian, Could you please help us understand the financial and production time difference of Ram vs. S2RV vs. M2 chassis, especially related to these shorter, lighter 30' units? I am wondering if there is a way to make the passenger/driver seats part of the living area on these shorter floorplans while not adding too much to the cost. Can't really do this with the Ram, but wondering if there is a cost-effective way to do it with S2RV or M2?

I know you have concluded the S2RV is an inferior choice to the M2 for your existing larger floorplans, and I understand that reasoning. Also understand you want to keep your production simple, and the fewer chassis options the better.

With that said:
  • Would a 219" stock wheel base S2RV with B6.7 be a cost-effective option? See attached 2017 spec sheet - it was all I could find.
  • Would it avoid additional chassis work/time/$?
  • Would that spec work well for the shorter, lighter 30' unit?
  • Is it available with 4x4?
Regarding the Ram, would there be chassis stretch work/time/$ to get it to the 216" wheelbase you show on your concept 30' floor plans?

What is the shortest stock wheelbase available on the M2? Would there be chassis mod work/time/$ to get to your concept 216" wheelbase?

Thank you.

P.S. I'm not negative on Ram. I have a 2500 6.4 now, and had a 2500 CTD before. Love them, just thinking the height of driver/passenger seating relative to living area isn't great with the Ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S2RV specs.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	198002  
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #48

The one benefit of the rams lower cab is it results in a massive cab over bunk to fill the height. Much roomier than on the big trucks. In some essence isn't that part of the living space?
Old 03-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #49

Quote:
The one benefit of the rams lower cab is it results in a massive cab over bunk to fill the height. Much roomier than on the big trucks. In some essence isn't that part of the living space?
Yes! Love the huge cabover bunk; it's like a separate room up there. You can sit up in bed without giving yourself a concussion.
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #50

Def would like to see a floor plan that would be more user friendly with slides in.
Main reason I didn’t go for the 30fw. Love the 30’ range though!!!
cyacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #51

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebevec View Post
Yes! Love the huge cabover bunk; it's like a separate room up there. You can sit up in bed without giving yourself a concussion.
You are right. The cab over bunk of the Isata 5 is awesome! And yes, it is part of the living space. Thinking through using the space, if you are watching TV you could have people in the dinette and people sitting upright in the cab over bunk. Same with sitting around talking -- you could have people in the dinette and people sitting up in the cab over bunk. It is definitely better than the cab over bunk of the Force/DX3. Love these RV trade-off decisions!
Old 03-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #52
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by content View Post
Brian, Could you please help us understand the financial and production time difference of Ram vs. S2RV vs. M2 chassis, especially related to these shorter, lighter 30' units? I am wondering if there is a way to make the passenger/driver seats part of the living area on these shorter floorplans while not adding too much to the cost. Can't really do this with the Ram, but wondering if there is a cost-effective way to do it with S2RV or M2?

I know you have concluded the S2RV is an inferior choice to the M2 for your existing larger floorplans, and I understand that reasoning. Also understand you want to keep your production simple, and the fewer chassis options the better.

With that said:
  • Would a 219" stock wheel base S2RV with B6.7 be a cost-effective option? See attached 2017 spec sheet - it was all I could find.
  • Would it avoid additional chassis work/time/$?
  • Would that spec work well for the shorter, lighter 30' unit?
  • Is it available with 4x4?
Regarding the Ram, would there be chassis stretch work/time/$ to get it to the 216" wheelbase you show on your concept 30' floor plans?

What is the shortest stock wheelbase available on the M2? Would there be chassis mod work/time/$ to get to your concept 216" wheelbase?

Thank you.

P.S. I'm not negative on Ram. I have a 2500 6.4 now, and had a 2500 CTD before. Love them, just thinking the height of driver/passenger seating relative to living area isn't great with the Ram.
I'm not sure what you're looking for in regards to the financial side. The M2 is more than the S2RV, the S2RV is more than the Ram from the start. Asking for an "economical Super C" is a moving target. We try to do everything we can to keep costs low with the best materials that we can. Thus the reason for simplification.

The D/P seats are already part of the living area on the M2, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Stock wheel base would certainly help things, but I could get a 30' with a stock wheel base now. Anything different in wheel base also means yet another chassis to stock and balance. Tough to do when we currently have Ford, Sprinter, Canadian Sprinter, Ram, 4x4 Ram, Canadian 4x4 Ram, M2-106, M2-112. We dropped the Promaster and the M2-28k ISB. If Mercedes would build a Norther American unit it would drastically simplify things...but they won't, so that leaves it up to use to make choices to do.

What we build is already pretty cost effective. At the end of the day, cost effective does not mean inexpensive.

We will be looking at a shorter M2, but that will be another thread for another day once I get a floor plan I like.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

We will be looking at a shorter M2, but that will be another thread for another day once I get a floor plan I like.
Yep, sorry for the diversion and thanks for the reply above. These two new plans are very nice. I would lean toward the single slide with as much basement/toy storage as possible. 80" bed and 80" dinette would be nice if possible.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #54

Can you please help with two questions?
  1. What is the function of the 4" step to the bedroom? More basement storage, or ?
  2. Is there actually more space between the dinette and counter with the slide in compared to the 30FW? It looks like it on the graphic below, but not sure.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Isata 5 30' single slide with slide in.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	198037  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #55
Commercial Member

1. The 4" step up is for plumbing....but if we choose that floor plan, I would likely try and find a different solution.

2. It is going to be tight between the dinette and galley. That however is the nature of the beast to get maximum size on both. On the 30FW, the recliners actually don't stick out as much as I recall climbing to the bathroom by stepping on the slide floor to get to the back.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #56

Looking for a diesel less than 30’ with more CCC than my I3.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo45 View Post
Ram dually with a slide in camper, a camper with slide outs. I had one, very nice and when you aren't camping you can take the camper off and you have a p/u.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo45 View Post
I think I was 24' bumper to bumper. Big shower, dry bath, 40 gal holding tanks, 200 watts of solar, 2000 watt inverter, generator, A/C. And with it sitting on a dually I didn't have to do any suspension mods, I did air bags so I could lean into the wind in a high wind situation but that was all I used the bags for. And we had a back seat for more cargo and the two dogs while on the road. I towed my Jeep behind it, didn't know it was even there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9362.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	561.4 KB
ID:	198086  
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 03-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
I think I was 24' bumper to bumper. Big shower, dry bath, 40 gal holding tanks, 200 watts of solar, 2000 watt inverter, generator, A/C. And with it sitting on a dually I didn't have to do any suspension mods, I did air bags so I could lean into the wind in a high wind situation but that was all I used the bags for. And we had a back seat for more cargo and the two dogs while on the road. I towed my Jeep behind it, didn't know it was even there.

I was looking at the Host Mammoth and like the idea except for three things.
Very small amount of storage.
Can’t access the back from the cab.
Really tall when placed on 4X4 dually.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
I was looking at the Host Mammoth and like the idea except for three things.
Very small amount of storage.
Can’t access the back from the cab.
Really tall when placed on 4X4 dually.
You are right most campers have little storage. I use my Jeep as a trailer for cargo and storage of what doesn't fit in the coach storage bins. The Mammoth though has a pull out drawer like in a Class A coach with considerable storage there. I too wanted a Mammoth and was actually negotiating on one a few years ago. The factory will even do some custom work for you too. But the height is considerable, and you really need a class 4 or 5 truck because of the weight.
Days camped 2021 = 25

Tags
bed