Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #1

Should I buy Roadside assistance the 1st year

Is the Forest River roadside assistance thats provided with new units good enough ?? Or should I buy additional coverage for $36 from Progressive?
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #2

Do you know if the motorhome's truck chassis includes roadside assistance during it's warranty period, in addition to what Forest River offers?
Old 11-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #3

RAM roadside assistance program??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Do you know if the motorhome's truck chassis includes roadside assistance during it's warranty period, in addition to what Forest River offers?
Unfortunately no I dont know....picking it up in less than 2 weeks so I want to get things set up in advance. Im not sure what the Ram warranty is
Old 11-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
Is the Forest River roadside assistance thats provided with new units good enough ?? Or should I buy additional coverage for $36 from Progressive?
Are you planning to carry a spare wheel; jack(s), wood support blocks, lug nut wrenches and a pump that can access 12v directly?

Without all of that equipment, a blown tire will leave you stranded and needing Road side assistance.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:

Go to www.dynamaxcorp.com , click on brochures then on Isata 5. Scroll down to Roadside assistance. 1 year coverage is included.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Go to www.dynamaxcorp.com , click on brochures then on Isata 5. Scroll down to Roadside assistance. 1 year coverage is included.
Dynamax - presumably all the FR products are the same, brands come with one year of Roadside Assistance included for the first year on most new motorized Dynamax RVs*. This service provides you with 24/7 coverage for the following services:

Towing
Jump Starts
Tire Assistance
Delivery of Fuel and Emergency Fluids
Locksmith/Lockout Service
Winch Out
Technical Support
RV Mobile Mechanic

That would cover most but you need to check the fine print with respect to availability and other costs.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #7

I have never needed roadside service my first year. But, I still purchase AAA and Good Sam. (Yes two). The reason is service distance limitations. Again, never used it on the road. I did have a nail in a tire and AAA responded by sending a wreaker. They removed the tire and installed the spare. I took the tire to a shop for repair and called AAA to reinstall the tire; again, with a wreaker. I felt like I was swatting fly's with 12 gauge shot gun.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Norwood Auto Italia

Roadside support of any kind is like health insurance, or any insurance. Some day you are going to need it or else equip yourself for most emergencies and seek out alternatives when they happen. They will happen - you can be sure of it, its just a question of what resources you can find and trust when that happens.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #9

Several well-known insurers offer roadside assistance. Although we have USAA auto insurance, we still found AAA was the best for us. We've used them twice for flats and were very pleased.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Several well-known insurers offer roadside assistance. Although we have USAA auto insurance, we still found AAA was the best for us. We've used them twice for flats and were very pleased.
I have GEICO and they paid 100% of the towing charges when I broke down on the freeway. I think the roadside assistance coverage costs only about $10 a year.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #11

You can get away the first year just fine...but suggest you use an RV Roadside assitance program next year...like Good Sam... not an insurance company. I've found the technical assistance MOST helpful several times and it also covers ALL your vehicles including cycles & cars. Knowing who to call for service and being towed to somewhere that can actually do repairs is important. I had a REAL RV tech drive to the park where I was stuck on a Sunday...high in the air cause the levelers freaked out and wouldn't put my wheels back on the ground no matter what we tried over the phone. He diagnosed the problem...realized that he couldn't fix it due to parts shipping needs...but got me down and jury rigged things to allow me to drive and get home to await repairs with a full diagnosis of wheat was needed.
In short...price is not the only thing to consider when adding roadside assistance!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
You can get away the first year just fine...but suggest you use an RV Roadside assitance program next year...like Good Sam... not an insurance company. I've found the technical assistance MOST helpful several times and it also covers ALL your vehicles including cycles & cars. Knowing who to call for service and being towed to somewhere that can actually do repairs is important. I had a REAL RV tech drive to the park where I was stuck on a Sunday...high in the air cause the levelers freaked out and wouldn't put my wheels back on the ground no matter what we tried over the phone. He diagnosed the problem...realized that he couldn't fix it due to parts shipping needs...but got me down and jury rigged things to allow me to drive and get home to await repairs with a full diagnosis of wheat was needed.
In short...price is not the only thing to consider when adding roadside assistance!
Is Good Sams good to go?? I have heard rumblings recently that they were going downhill...
Old 11-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
This forum is a great resource and you will and have received different advice. That is good. As a long time RVer my advice is do, within budget, whatever makes your travel comfortable and worry free as possible.

And ask questions along the road. Once, while full timing in our the diesel pusher, I became concerned about our air brakes so I stopped at a truck repair facility somewhere in Oklahoma. The tech quickly determined it was me, not the brakes and, since I was paying for a minimum of one hour, he spent about 30 minutes in the back of the shop showing me how the brakes worked on a rig he was repairing. About three years later I did have a brake problem but quickly recognized it before it was serious.

You can never learn too much.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #14

The other one to research is Coach Net. Similar to Good Sam's. Compare their offering. We are new to RV'ing so haven't had a service call yet.
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #15

What you do when you assume

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Dynamax - presumably all the FR products are the same, brands come with one year of Roadside Assistance included for the first year on most new motorized Dynamax RVs*. This service provides you with 24/7 coverage for the following services:

Towing
Jump Starts
Tire Assistance
Delivery of Fuel and Emergency Fluids
Locksmith/Lockout Service
Winch Out
Technical Support
RV Mobile Mechanic

That would cover most but you need to check the fine print with respect to availability and other costs.
I would not be so quick to make that assumption. Dynamax is the queen of the FR product line. I would not be so positive that the lower product lines offer something as generous.

I'd be glad to be proved wrong.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I would not be so quick to make that assumption. Dynamax is the queen of the FR product line. I would not be so positive that the lower product lines offer something as generous.

I'd be glad to be proved wrong.
Proven wrong.

Sunseeker, a fine and reasonably priced Forest River class C, does actually come with a year of roadside assistance included on new units.

Screenshot below is from the Sunseeker brochure, showing the included roadside assistance program.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	289DCFB3-170E-4DA7-AF6B-DF4DC008FC22.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	243697  
Old 11-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #17

Roadside assistance is included with my Progressive policy for $15 annually. We have yet to use it so can't comment on quality of service but it is very reasonably priced.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #18
Director, FROG

All new Forest River RVs, both motorized and towable, come with a year of roadside assistance from SafeRide RV. You can find the link to the coverage at the bottom of the first page on the FROG website, or click here:

SafeRide Motor Club brochure

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #19

If you tow any type/sized trailer ask if it will also be moved to a repair facility if the motor home is disabled .

Find it in the policy before you pay for one.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #20

I havent had any experience with the Forest River service but I liked Coach-net so much the few times I used them that I've stayed subscribed ever since. A small price to pay when you're in a pinch and every interaction has been painless for me. Coach-net is what they used to come with before FR started their own service.