Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #81

HELP...please

I have a recently purchased '18 Isata 5.When I picked it up at the broker last month, all was well, including the slides. I then went away for two weeks, returned and can't get the slides to open. Its parked on a flat, paved driveway , levelers down, parking brake engaged. The batteries were a little low on my return but are fully charged now. I followed the procedure for engaging the slides, with the generator running and fully charged batteries but I get the red and green warning light on the slide panel. I've reset the button on the backside for one minute as instructed by B Clemens. Any suggestions please? Thanks for the help.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #82
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
I have a recently purchased '18 Isata 5.When I picked it up at the broker last month, all was well, including the slides. I then went away for two weeks, returned and can't get the slides to open. Its parked on a flat, paved driveway , levelers down, parking brake engaged. The batteries were a little low on my return but are fully charged now. I followed the procedure for engaging the slides, with the generator running and fully charged batteries but I get the red and green warning light on the slide panel. I've reset the button on the backside for one minute as instructed by B Clemens. Any suggestions please? Thanks for the help.
Well, technically I don't think I said to reset it for one minute.

IF it was operated at low voltage, or for some reason a long drain caused a fault code, then you should push "clear fault-set slide stop button" for one second, AFTER the batteries are fully charged. Then see if the fault clears. BUT, if you held that button for one minute then you have wiped the slide stops and need to reset them following the instructions in the slide out video. OUT stop must be set first

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #83

slideout

You did say one second and that is what I did, not one minute, a typo. I'm amazed you are still at it this late in the evening. Thank you so much. If the batteries are failing could I be having this problem even though the generator is running and the batteries are showing fully charged? I've also tried it with the engine running. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #84
Commercial Member

If it’s flashing red-green. Then it likely lost the stops. So the only way to correct is to re-set the slide stops. If you follow the video, that should work.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #85

Dynamax had a great video on you tube covering this.

https://youtu.be/lZ22LP2kzLE
Old 09-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #86

Slides

Thank you very much for the help. I reset the slides and all seems well. Off to play with our new toy.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #87

Stuck at a rest stop
Slide worked fine this AM. Stopped at rest stop and noticed flashing light on spike panel.
The "room or lock movement" light was on.
I tried to run the slide in, out but nothing. Should have stopped there but had the great idea to reset the stops.
Held the button to get into the option to set stops.
Held moter buttons 1 and 3 and pressed the In button. The slide went OUT.
Now stuck at rest stop till I can call Lippert in morning.
NearDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #88

I think I found my slide issue. It was raining and water from the inside rear tire would throw water to the top of the box that holds the control electronic. Water might have come in thru the foam insulation.
The part seemed to be wet.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_165731.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	215581Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_114521.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	215582
Old 09-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #89

On the road again

Since couldn't talk to anyone at lippert till tomorrow and I'm sick of this rest stop, I took the control box out.
When I turned it over, water ran out so that confermed what happened.
Took it apart and dried with hair dryer.
Amazing, it works. (Well, I only did the part of setting the stops that brings in the side.)
Don't know if i should replace the box or not.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #90

I'd replace it to be safe. Can always keep that one as a spare
Old 10-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #91

Ok....our slide is in, plenty of power and the red light and green light are flashing....alternating. Tried the reset button to no avail. Checked fuses...all ok.
Now what?
cgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #92

Slide stops need to be reset
Old 10-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #93

Knock on wood my 24fw slide has not malfunctoned, yet.

Even though the odds are in my favor I totally HATE the fear we will be on the road and stuck somewhere for an unknown time.

Every time I push the buttons , I winder , is this going to work?

AS the Isata 3 series is not the budget leader. I winder why a more reliable system was not chosen.

Sure requiring a lower failure rate would be more expensive ,and might be heavier, but the horror of not being stuck somewhere could be lessened.

Time for a system upgrade?

OR perhaps a new division for FR to make quality slides?

OR perhaps a better company with replacement electronics like dinosaur does for other RV components.

See dinosaur electrical components
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #94
Commercial Member

1. You haven't had an issue. I think this forum (by nature) amplifies the problems and under-reports the ones with no issues. Part of the reason I think LCI has been slower to respond is that there are NOT rampant slide issues, contrary to popular belief. I agree that a malfunction where it operates on its own is NEVER acceptable, which is why I have been adamant they do something regardless of the number. However, when they ask for numbers, we documented every reported case on here AND any reported case through warranty (not on the forum) and I don't think it has passed 15 cases. that's 15 out of over 2000.

2. If there is a slide issue that prevents use, we have OK'd mobile repair, over-nighting of parts...so I'm not sure why you would assume that you could be stuck somewhere.

3. 99% of the issues we have seen have been voltage related. Once we posted the video on how to reset the slide stops, how to properly operate them and how to clear a minor fault if it was operated with low voltage....reports of slide issues have dropped significantly. So what we are doing with today's multiplex system, is put those guidelines and instructions ON the screen so you have to read them every time and check off a popup screen.

4. As for "why not choose a more reliable system" (and this is a rhetorical question). Whose do you propose???? When I was at Sunseeker we used below floor slides...SUPER reliable...but heavy. Well, one year, we had an almost 50% failure rate on a batch of units. The slide motor company changed their supplier on a sheer pin (a 2 cent part) and that sheer pin was bad metal. So it was sheering (to protect the slide motor) long before it should. So what was pretty bullet proof...was now failing all the time. It was thankfully caught and corrected.

THEN, schwintec came out with a brand new slide that would prevent all of the issues that were caused by below floor slides (that would bring the slide in at all four corners and not just at the bottom ram). It was smart. The ENTIRE industry adopted it...Winnebago, Forest River, Thor, etc. It was lightweight, easier to install and service. LCI bought the company. It was mass produced and I think it suffered some some quality issues. The one drawback was that it did not like to be tipped...there was very little tolerance for room "out of adjustment".

So another company, Power gear, created a similar slide, but with bigger teeth and a floating track so it would tolerate almost a 3/4" tip and thus corrected the draw backs of the other. LCI bought then bought Power Gear either before or after...can't remember the date.

So I would gladly pay more for any slide that was more reliable...but what does that mean? What is an acceptable failure rate in your mind?

Electronics seem to think less than 1% is good. 15 out of just 2000 is 0.75%

Old 10-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #95

"So I would gladly pay more for any slide that was more reliable...but what does that mean? What is an acceptable failure rate in your mind?'

AS a retired commercial airline pilot , the aircraft industry failure numbers are very different , and so is the cost.

Thanks for the well reasoned response ,I will worry less every time we push the button.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #96
Commercial Member

And just to add, in case anyone thinks because we don't talk about it, we aren't doing it....we are ALWAYS looking at alternatives.

I have products with low failure rate that work just fine...but we still changed because we felt like it gave customers a better experience, or was more intuitive.

But, I don't always talk about what we're looking at...one, because I know some competitors actually watch for this stuff. Two, it may not pan out or it may be a while before we can get there.

One thing we always look at are slides...it is a pretty substantial change to make on a product, but we're looking at Hydraulic, lightweight hydraulic, electric, cable, below floor, above floor, in-wall. Always looking to make that the best possible product that we can.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
And just to add, in case anyone thinks because we don't talk about it, we aren't doing it....we are ALWAYS looking at alternatives.

I have products with low failure rate that work just fine...but we still changed because we felt like it gave customers a better experience, or was more intuitive.

But, I don't always talk about what we're looking at...one, because I know some competitors actually watch for this stuff. Two, it may not pan out or it may be a while before we can get there.

One thing we always look at are slides...it is a pretty substantial change to make on a product, but we're looking at Hydraulic, lightweight hydraulic, electric, cable, below floor, above floor, in-wall. Always looking to make that the best possible product that we can.
That’s why we own a Dynamax and appreciate your efforts to refine your product.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #98

I do have an operational question.

We store our unit plugged in at home usually with the slide extended , so the unit can be used as a guest cottage, which is not often.

Would the unit be happier long term stored with slide in , and only extended if and when needed?

TIA
Old 10-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post

We store our unit plugged in at home usually with the slide extended , so the unit can be used as a guest cottage, which is not often.

Would the unit be happier long term stored with slide in , and only extended if and when needed?

TIA
I ask this question once myself and was told it is best to store your unit with the slide in.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #100
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post

TIA
I'm not really sure it matters. Other than any tiny little gaps, or flaps that meeeces can push through possibly. But its designed to be out or in.

Tags
slide