Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #1

Slide out or leveling jacks first?

I have an “early” 2019 Isata 3 FW (full wall slide) with cab-over bunk and Equalizer Systems auto-levelers. I have noted that when parked on a level pad, the coach sits in slightly nose-down attitude, I assume because of the heavy engine weight up front and the cab-over enclosure. I have searched the electronic manual and this forum and talked with the service mgr. where I bought it and have gotten conflicting advice about whether it is OK to put out and use the slide out without the auto-leveling jacks down. I have also noticed that no matter how many times I have reset the “null level” by following the system instructions, it just doesn’t seem to find the exact level without some manual adjustment. Hoping maybe bclemens can give me the factory recommendations. Thank you.
docswisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

Jacks first , always.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

I have a 36 foot class A motorhome and I was always told Jacks down first then slides out. When leaving, slides in first jacks up last. I was told this helps keep the stress on the frame to a minimum. This was also in my motorhome user manual. (2004 Forest River Georgetown 359t).
Dominnic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #4

Level first, then extend the slide.

It kind of makes sense, you want the slide drive mechanism level when it's working. That's how I always thought of it

Regarding your auto levelers, you might get in touch with a tech at Equalizer while you are in the MH and see if they can walk you through a fix.
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
We have reset our null a couple times, coach still always seems to raise the front too much. We just lower it manually. 2 sec, no big deal. And always level first before slides out. Also equalizer says air up before jacks up when leaving. So on departure-slides in, air up-jacks up.

When we first got coach we would raise the jacks before airing up, coach would always move, jacks would drag slightly. No more.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Slides first, then jacks. And I have checked level on my refrigerator as that needs to be level ± to operate properly. My unit doesn't look level on the outside either.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #7

Smile

I always level first then full-slide out. Have an Isata 3 FWM and have the auto-leveling jacks and love them (auto and manual). Agree on the look after all is done though as it does seem like it tilts just slightly. In my case a bit to the right when in front of the unit. Levels tell a different story so things fine. I would want things level before putting stress on the slide out mechanism.
ferrisjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

I always level the RV first then extend the slides, and later retract the slides first & then lower the RV. When we first got the DX3 I used the auto leveling feature, but it always went thru various herky jerky motions & never seemed to be level when it finished. Since then I've been manually leveling the RV and it's quick & easy. I mounted a couple of bubble levels on the dash so I can see exactly what is going on & this has worked much better than the auto level feature. A couple of times I've placed a level on the floor to double check the dash levels, & they're always been right on the money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_142148.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	189186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_142118.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	189187  
Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #9

Level first, set the stabilizers on the side where your heaviest slides are, then extend your slides. After the slides are out, check your level once again, then drop the remaining stabilizers. Recheck again after 48 hours.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #10

Many RV's with air suspension say slides first then level, my Newmar with full wall slide is one, Monaco is a another. Don't ask here, ask the factory.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
Navy Junior

Mine is a full side slide like OP, so.....level first, slide out, manually re-level (since slide is a huge beast) (also sets u up for fully supported retract). Then when leaving; slide in, feet up.
SunSeeker 3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
Commercial Member

I think I mentioned somewhere else, the "auto Level" will get it close, but ultimately there is a margin for error. I don't recall the exact number but it equates to over an inch, to inches over 40'

Just to reiterate what others have said...level first, then slides. Otherwise you are putting undue stress on the slides (potentially).

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #13

wow seems everyone levels first then then slides I thought that first as at one time we had a popup but this past weekend at a frog rally a forest river tech told everyone that's the old rule slides first and then level because if you have different sizes of slides as they are moved out it will change the balance same as with the new refrigerators you don't have to be that level that old rule beside think about as you run down the road and they are on they are not level unless you have a trailer get as close to level then slides out then jacks down.
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #14

Let's see if I have this right. I level the coach on hydraulic jacks. Should be stable. Now I move out the slide and all of a sudden it isn't stable, tips the coach compressing the non compressable hyd fluid. Compared to the coach's weight, how heavy is the slide. Also, with opposing slides, may balance out.
I have leveled, re leveled and even moved other RVs without issue but prefer level first method.
hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
Commercial Member

The issue is not so much being level....as making sure the slides (large moving parts) are level when operating. If the coach is low, opposite the slide, the slide out is working that much a harder to operate UP HILL. If you level first, you are reducing the strain on the slide out and once the slide goes out...then maybe a minor adjustment is needed, but I doubt it. Even then, those hydraulic jacks are designed to move much more weight than the electric slide motor.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #16

that little tiny motor has enough power to blow the slide right off the couch or trailer don't need to worry about binding
Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
that little tiny motor has enough power to blow the slide right off the couch or trailer don't need to worry about binding
Not sure what motor you are referring to, but this is a Dynamax sub-forum, so the original question would be referring to an small electrical in-wall motor.

We just recently had a case that puts things into a practical perspective. The complaint was that there was a slide that was binding, not going all the way out. When we got it here, it went in and out no problems whatsoever, so we didn't really see the issue. However, in looking at the coach, it was not level it was low on the slide side. So we leveled the coach and it started to struggle. We ran the slide side about 1" high and tried again....slide stopped short. It was in that scenario, we were able to re-create the issue, diagnose the problem and correct it.

So coming directly from the manufacturer...level the coach first, then operate the slides. That's the way it is designed to work.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #18

what I posted is what I was told by a factory rep that is his specialty is electrical motors and other issues
Old 10-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #19

I'm guessing that the GM of the Dynamax Division, particularly this GM has a better answer than the tech working in the Cherokee factory
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #20

Well, thanks to all for your replies, esp. to Mr. Clemens for the final word. Question answered[emoji106]
docswisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, slide, slide out