Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Slide Out Sub-Floor Wood Has Been Wet and Has Mold (Isata 5 35DB)

So, the COVID-19 projects continue with our Isata 5. One I’ve been anxiously awaiting is the replacement of the dinette booths and carpeting. We home school 3 kids and I work from home a lot, so the dinette seating gets used A LOT! The dinette cushions are just shy of horrible to sit in for anything more than the timeframe of a meal. Plus, it’s always be somewhat of a pain to get at the stuff that we store beneath the seating. Our solution will be the same as the Dynamax’s solution; replace the booths with the sprung cushion version from RecPro. They will be here on Monday and we are excited to see, feel and sit in them.

The carpeting is also a sore spot for me. We never, EVER wear our shoes in the coach. Even with a hard and fast “no shoes” policy, the carpeting under the dinette was beat to death. It was matted down and discolored pretty badly. So, we are going to a very high-quality carpeting and also going to add padding under the carpet in-between the dinette booth to gain some much-needed insulation. The area is so small that even when buying some of the best carpeting that the carpet stores have to offer, it’s still going to be VERY reasonably priced.

Yesterday was the tear-out and it all went pretty well. Seems like Dynamax used a comically high number of staples to hold down such a small piece of carpeting, but I gave the kids a couple pair of pliers and sent them to work pulling staples. Now for the bad news, I found quite a bit of area of water intrusion and some small patches of mold.

First, the mold: This was at the very outside edge, right in the middle near the mount for the Dinette table.

Next, the water intrusion: First patch is near the corner of the outside edge and the front (towards the cab). You can sort of see how the top layer of the plywood is wrinkled and splitting. Having the plywood wrinkled like that suggests there was standing water for some amount of time or possible repeated water intrusion.

Next spot is on the furthest inside edge and all the way to the front (again, nearest to the cab). Once again, the top sheet of the plywood is wrinkled and splitting.

Next spot is near the inside edge and furthest away from the cab. This one is more of a water “stain” and there is no wrinkling or splitting of the top sheet of ply.

When I showed it to the wife, she sort of shrugged her shoulder and said, “I guess the kids spilled some stuff”. I thought about that for a minute and that doesn’t make sense. All these water damaged areas would have been “protected” by the dinette booths. The water stain MIGHT have some merit as being “user error” because that corner of the slide is closest to the kitchen and since it’s just a stain in the wood, MAYBE it was a one-time deal.....but I still don't think so. The others? Almost impossible that they were a spill of some sort.

So, now come the questions:

Any idea on what can cause this?

Any idea on how to prevent this in the future?

I am okay with cleaning it up. I can spray bleach water with the best of them and I’ll probably go over it with some sort of anti-mildew paint of some sort (Kilz or whatever), but I’d like to stop this from becoming a real problem.

Any thoughts, idea, tips, tricks, or anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Rig has been in-service for less than 2 years, but I am not sure what a warranty fix would look like for something like this, but again, I am all ears if you have ideas for that.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Dynamax Service Rep

Check all of the sealed areas of the slideout,especially the ones on the roof and reseal if any issues are noted.
GTinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinsman View Post
Check all of the sealed areas of the slideout,especially the ones on the roof and reseal if any issues are noted.
Greg, so you think it could be coming from above? I Hadn't noticed any evidence of it coming down the walls.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

Please keep updating on your carpet and cushion replacement. I've been wondering about the new cushions.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseHouse View Post
Please keep updating on your carpet and cushion replacement. I've been wondering about the new cushions.
Will do. The dinette booths will be delivered today, but the carpeting I picked out had to be special ordered. I ordered it on Friday and they claim it takes 10-14 days to be delivered.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:21 AM   #6
Dynamax Service Rep

water is tricky,it could be from above or possibly the exterior facia,visually inspect all seal points and repair as needed.
GTinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #7

Before you put the carpet in you might try and run water from the hose on the slide roof and sides and see if you can find any intrusions. Much easier before you finish the install
Old 05-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #8

I have reached this problem over many different RV forms and have found that the weak point that lets the water in is the black fabric. The fabric is called Scrim Shield. The black scrim is glued to the bottom of the side out and raps around and up the side wall of the slide out. Where the scrim makes the 90 deg turn up the side wall and is exposed on the side before it goes under the metal termination strip is the weak point. FR protects most of this with a plastic edge. The weak point is at the end of the plastic strip next to the out side wall of the slide. A small peace of the scrim is exposed and calked by FR . If the calk is damaged or fail's water can get in and damage the slide out floor. If the side out was built with out the plastic edge calk the exposed scrim on the side wall of the slide out or get make some thing to protect this area.

Also make sure the calking for the metal skirt calk has not failed for the side or the the rest of the RV

Hope this helps Tim

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...0&d=1587170040
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...1&d=1587170040
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
I have reached this problem over many different RV forms and have found that the weak point that lets the water in is the black fabric. The fabric is called Scrim Shield. The black scrim is glued to the bottom of the side out and raps around and up the side wall of the slide out. Where the scrim makes the 90 deg turn up the side wall and is exposed on the side before it goes under the metal termination strip is the weak point. FR protects most of this with a plastic edge. The weak point is at the end of the plastic strip next to the out side wall of the slide. A small peace of the scrim is exposed and calked by FR . If the calk is damaged or fail's water can get in and damage the slide out floor. If the side out was built with out the plastic edge calk the exposed scrim on the side wall of the slide out or get make some thing to protect this area.

Also make sure the calking for the metal skirt calk has not failed for the side or the the rest of the RV

Hope this helps Tim

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...1&d=1587170040
This is a motorhome sub-forum and unfortunately your post is not relevant to this particular product. Dynamax does not use woven polypropylene (scrim) on the underside of our slide outs. We use fiberglass only. Same as the walls and roof.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaNTom View Post
Before you put the carpet in you might try and run water from the hose on the slide roof and sides and see if you can find any intrusions. Much easier before you finish the install
^^^^^ What he said. Finding water leaks can be difficult.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaNTom View Post
ooooooh boy, I like that idea! So simple, yet it eluded me for some reason! I will give that a shot tomorrow.

Tags
floor, mold, slide, slide out