Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Slide popping when opening and closing

I found out why the slide pops on my 2018 Force HD 37TS, there are screws (pic1) coming down from the slide topper that are to long, they are catching the slide as in goes in & out and really doing some damage to the top of the slide (pic 3). This was on the driver side slideout, I have not checked the others YET. Thought you all might want to check this out on yours, screws look factory and BC might want to check it out at the factory also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	222322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	222323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	222324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic4.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	222325  
Graphicaccents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #2

Mine does this too. Will be investigating this weekend. Thanks for posting the results of your research!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

X2
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Noted....but also interesting that we normally leave the "awning rail" screw sticking out. To sort of prevent this. While it could be us, I wonder if someone sees a screw sticking out and decides to run it all the way in.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the response Brian, after checking the other slides the screws were run all the way in, they are at an angle that went into the wall of the coach, not being able to catch the slide going in and out
Old 01-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #6

Just verified mine. Screw all the way in. Is the quick fix to back the scew out about 1/4"?? I'd be concerned about it coming all the way out.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicaccents View Post
I found out why the slide pops on my 2018 Force HD 37TS, there are screws (pic1) coming down from the slide topper that are to long, they are catching the slide as in goes in & out and really doing some damage to the top of the slide (pic 3). This was on the driver side slideout, I have not checked the others YET. Thought you all might want to check this out on yours, screws look factory and BC might want to check it out at the factory also
That is piss poor engineering and manufacturing.
Absolutely zero quality control.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
Commercial Member

lol...or maybe, we followed the vendor instructions for this awning (which is adding a #6 screw into the rail and fabric), but instead of grabbing a 3/8" screw they grabbed one that was too long.

Has zero to do with engineering. It does not indicate "zero" quality control. It is poor manufacturing in that they did not install the proper length screw. it indicates human error on a non-critical, albeit annoying component. And again, we have no idea if this awning was ever adjusted for winkling where someone may have put the screw all the way in, instead of leaving it out.

In any event, I have made my guys aware and we seem to be installing it properly today. Thank you for the constructive comment however.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #9

Perhaps my reply was a bit over the top. But consumers are paying too much money for these and other mfg RV's to see this many quality issues.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #10

Name a product that is manufactured perfectly? Cars, homes etc... built by a robot or built by humans there are issues and mistakes.

I feel we have an avenue here to post an issue and seek help and post up the solutions. I will never understand the constant downplaying of the industry, how does that solve anything or help? We are all aware we paid a lot of money, and we should all be aware there will be problems, its how we handle the problems that count.

Opinions are fine, but I never saw an opinion fix someones problem.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #11

Yep, that screw dragging fixed my problem too...been chasing that one down for a while now but never could locate the “pop”.

Again, thank for posting! A simple fix to an annoying problem.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #12

You are welcome, I am also glad I found the source of the "pop"
Old 01-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
Commercial Member

I believe I have even heard that pop before...always thought it was the slide seal flipping directions. Now I'll know what to look for.

I'm gonna go ahead and double your pay.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #14

Thank you Brian, I could use a raise, but in the mean time get out your ladder and screwdriver and back out those screws, fix that popping
Old 02-03-2020, 11:58 PM   #15

My slide also makes a popping sound when extending and retracting. But it is not the awning screws as they are angled into the sidewall. The sound seems to be coming from the vicinity of the lower front rack of the Slim-rack assembly. The rack itself is bowed tight to the slide wall when fully extended (somewhat less as it is retracted). All the other racks remain parallel with the slide wall. It's as if that one rack is out of sync one tooth on the spur gear compared to the other three racks. Any thoughts?
RFrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrazier View Post
My slide also makes a popping sound when extending and retracting. But it is not the awning screws as they are angled into the sidewall. The sound seems to be coming from the vicinity of the lower front rack of the Slim-rack assembly. The rack itself is bowed tight to the slide wall when fully extended (somewhat less as it is retracted). All the other racks remain parallel with the slide wall. It's as if that one rack is out of sync one tooth on the spur gear compared to the other three racks. Any thoughts?
^^I have this same issue. Slide rail bowed tight against the side wall when open. ^^

Just one rail - lower left. All others are parallel as well.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
Commercial Member

They sometimes bow in, they sometimes bow out. If you'd like it to stop before that point you can always reset the slide stops to stop about 1/4 short on that side. I have seen some OEM's put a felt strip behind them....I've never really seen it become an issue.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
They sometimes bow in, they sometimes bow out. If you'd like it to stop before that point you can always reset the slide stops to stop about 1/4 short on that side. I have seen some OEM's put a felt strip behind them....I've never really seen it become an issue.
Thanks. Interestingly, I was already considering putting felt on the slide wall to protect the finish. I guess that settles that.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide