Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Slide topper catches a lot of rain

On my Isata 3 with the full side slide, the topper really sags after a heavy rain. I see a variety of suggestions on this forum for dealing with this: place styrofoam under it, build a support for the topper out of PVC pipe, leave it open in the sun and it will shrink and tighten up, etc. Can the topper be made more taught by adjusting it, or isn't this a problem? I know that one time I retracted the slide and the cascading water managed to hit the front storage compartment, on the driver side, just 'right', and I ended up with water in the compartment. When in heavy rain, would it be wise to retract the slide, in short spurts, periodically to release the water that the topper is holding? We were level both times this happened.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Someone posted on here how to tighten the slide topper but I don't remember who it was or what post it was. I believe he said he added 4 more turns to the springs. I do know that the wider the topper, the more the turns during install.
There are instructions posted for download in the Library section of the forum.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=203
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #3

What should the topper look like when properly adjusted

Thanks, Scrapper. I would probably have this done by a professional; those spring tension warnings are enough to convince me not to do it. I am still curious what a properly adjusted topper should look like when extended and there is no water on it. I may post a picture the next time I have it out.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
Thanks, Scrapper. I would probably have this done by a professional; those spring tension warnings are enough to convince me not to do it. I am still curious what a properly adjusted topper should look like when extended and there is no water on it. I may post a picture the next time I have it out.
By it being a Full Side Slide cover you are talking about a Area the size of most Patio Awning! It is going to catch LOTs of water unless Tilted like required on Patio Awning! You will NOT be able to tighten the springs to Overcome the Weight of that much Water! Youroo!!
Old 05-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #5

slide topper

My buddy has slide toppers. He puts a cheap plastic beach ball (dollar store) on top of each slide, which lifts the center of the fabric, without stretching.
he has to sweep the tops of the slides anyway, so he pokes the ball out with his broom first, then cleans the stray pine needles and dust off, then pulls in the slide.
Works pretty good, never accumulates any water.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As youroo says... with that larg of a topper, it is going to collect water. You won't get it tight enough.

It really doesn't matter though because as the topper sags, the majority of the water will run off anyway. (it has on all my different units)

You can raise or lower the front or back if you believe a concern (I never have) and the water will pour off when you retract the slide.

My thought has always been... better the water on the topper than the slide roof.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
My buddy has slide toppers. He puts a cheap plastic beach ball (dollar store) on top of each slide, which lifts the center of the fabric, without stretching.
he has to sweep the tops of the slides anyway, so he pokes the ball out with his broom first, then cleans the stray pine needles and dust off, then pulls in the slide.
The bolded part pretty much mirrors my topper experience on the old camper. I'd have to clean the slides before I brought them in. Kind of a pain in the rear with the topper there. So this go-around I'm not installing toppers.

If the installer has ever actually used a camper with a topper, he'll install the base a bit higher so that there's a slope when the slide is out (assuming there's room).

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I've never had to sweep the top of the slides on my TT. My slides are out all season and all I ever get on the roof of the slide is dust. I just use a leaf blower to get rid of the dust at the end of the season before I run the slides.
The toppers keep everything else off the slide roofs.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #9

Billowing from under-tensioned springs

It certainly is possible that your slide topper doesn't have enough tension. If so, it may billow in strong cross winds and could be quite a hazard.

I've got Carefree slide toppers that were under-tensioned and this thread discusses the experience and how I properly tensioned them. Dometic may have different procedures, if you have those.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...da-130813.html

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:37 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
If the installer has ever actually used a camper with a topper, he'll install the base a bit higher so that there's a slope when the slide is out (assuming there's room).

One of my 3 slide toppers holds water. I was looking at it and see that there is enough room to have installed the topper 6-12 inches higher up the trailers wall, creating a greater slope when the slide is extended. Wondering if that is a potential solution for me. It's a deep slideout though, so I doubt the topper material would reach without replacing with a longer one.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
One of my 3 slide toppers holds water. I was looking at it and see that there is enough room to have installed the topper 6-12 inches higher up the trailers wall, creating a greater slope when the slide is extended. Wondering if that is a potential solution for me. It's a deep slideout though, so I doubt the topper material would reach without replacing with a longer one.
I wouldn't go 6 inches. All it takes is maybe 2 or 3.
Is it taught? Could be the tension just needs adjusted.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I've never had to sweep the top of the slides on my TT. My slides are out all season and all I ever get on the roof of the slide is dust. I just use a leaf blower to get rid of the dust at the end of the season before I run the slides.
The toppers keep everything else off the slide roofs.
How lucky for you. We live in S Louisiana, and as Im sure you can guess, it gets hot here, We usually choose a campground with trees, for the shade. that means leaves, twigs, etc. Toppers make it too hard to clean under them. We prefer to just get up and sweep them off, no trouble really and a good opportnity to check the roof over once again.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #13

Our topper does do a good job of keeping the top of the slide clean. I would think that it provides some shade, keeping the Isata a bit cooler. When extended, there is no noticeable slope. I wish they made it with a material that let water through but would catch leaves, twigs, etc. I am going to inspect it more closely next time we are out in the rain. I did read about putting beach balls on the ends to reduce wind flapping, which I have not noticed, but that would force water to the center of the topper, perhaps causing uneven strain on it. I would love to carry a ladder, but weight limits and storage space make that hard to do. Either the topper design is flawed or FR has determined that it can survive holding water. Time will tell.

Tags
cat, slide