Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #1

slider key on

Does anybody else think it's a PITA to reach down and turn the key on so the slides will work? Has anyone bypassed it yet? Don't see a reason for it. Thanks, Chuck
ci4mynewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
Commercial Member

It's mainly to make sure you have power for the slides. The #1 issue we saw with them was low voltage issues.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:55 PM   #3

I would agree with you Brian but the engine is not running just key on. . Plus I don't see how having the chassis battery's on ties in with the coach battery's which I think is what powers the slides. Chuck
ci4mynewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ci4mynewf View Post
I would agree with you Brian but the engine is not running just key on. . Plus I don't see how having the chassis battery's on ties in with the coach battery's which I think is what powers the slides. Chuck
Well, it is set UP to have the engine running....but the key on will work, just not what we prefer.

As for the battery, if you have not watched the video on slide outs that explains it a little more. We're not looking for the battery, but the alternator. That is what provides the best charge.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #5

Believe in a previous post that the key-on function is for the system to recognize that the e-brake is applied.
The process of the slide operation forces the key activation because the rig needs to be leveled before activating the slides meaning the key (engine) has to be off. Then the key has to be turned to "on" to move slides.
It is a little cumbersome but something I've gotten used to.
dbaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaction View Post
Believe in a previous post that the key-on function is for the system to recognize that the e-brake is applied.
The process of the slide operation forces the key activation because the rig needs to be leveled before activating the slides meaning the key (engine) has to be off. Then the key has to be turned to "on" to move slides.
It is a little cumbersome but something I've gotten used to.
The E-brake is unique to the Isata 5. The M2 doesn't have that issue as we can pull an analog/non-CANbus signal.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

Brian has the good insight on the way, means, and reasons for the 'why' we sometimes ask on these forums about models built in his factories.

What is interesting, and maybe confusing, is that while many of us enjoy these forums, whether we own a FR product, formerly owned one, wish we owned one, or don't own one, many of our RVs and Motorhomes don't operate the same 'way', for even what seems as similar, or sometimes the exact same, systems, such as Slide Rooms.

With slide rooms, you not only have the question of 'why' the factory sets the 'steps' to deploy a certain way, but also that you have differing 'vehicles' they are installed in, and differing types of slide equipment, as well... Hydraulic, Electric, differing manufacturers, etc. I'm sure all of 'those' manufacturers also have certain 'rules' to operate their equipment, and I'm sure there may even be times with a factory like FR designs a motorhome with multiple differing slide room equipment manufactures that have DIFFERING steps, themselves... it has to be an engineering 'trial and error' at times!

With our Palazzo diesel pusher, and our two Electric slide rooms, we CAN NOT have the ignition on, or running, if we want to move the rooms. Yes, there are times when that can be a little annoying, but I suppose it's for certain reasons that my mind has not quite understood yet. I also understand that others have slide rooms that can't be moved UNLESS the ignition is either on or running! Crazy, and I'm sure they are just as annoyed at times... but both are done for a reason, I'm sure.

Another slight difference, is our interior 'front electric bunk' slide, which is the same manufacturer of the other wall slides, yet requires a 'key' to be input and turned in order to move the bunk slide. Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder, as the slide switch is INSIDE a cabinet, and can't be easily reached in the first place. Maybe it's because something in the slide could accidentally push on the switch, causing it to move, but unless you are traveling/moving, it's doubtful, and even then, with the ignition 'on', it wouldn't be allowed to move anyway. An engineer must have a reason, I just haven't 'realized' it yet!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
Commercial Member

lol....to make matters WORSE...we actually had a model that is both (on and off) in the same unit depending on slide.

The issue is the slide OEM gives you their "requirements" for their slide operation. Some, have an ignition lock out to prevent operation when going down the road. Some realize their system NEEDS higher voltages so they require (or want)the engine running.

I was always a pretty pragmatic engineer on the design side. I think it came from working "on the line" first and needing to understand how I would build it. I didn't just want to know "how"....I always wanted to know WHY?!?!?! I think this drives some people crazy, my wife included.

I think too often we take instructions as the law. So we put this slide in this way and this slide that way without asking the "why?"...and, if so, then can we do this instead? In most cases, they just give you one possible way. It is up to Dynamax to determine if that is the best possible way for us? If there is no flexibility then we need to seek another supplier. At the end of the day, my ultimate goal is a superior customer experience. That unfortunately takes lots of time, lots of data and lots of questions.

Tags
slide