Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

Small Direct TV Receiver (H25) and how to get it activated.

Figured i would post this since i got it done and had a LOT of frustration doing it.

If you have DirectTV HD in your coach you most likley do not want a DVR, or any large reciever. What you want is the Directv H25:

1. Its *very* small and fast. It will fit in the DX3 cabinet with room to spare!

2. You can get a RF remote for it with an external antenna AND mounting plate to bolt the unit down.
3. With the RF remote you can use it inside and outside your coach.

Well i purchased one on ebay, but when i called to activate it they refused. They said i had to buy a new reciever from them. I told them it must be small because it needs to fit in a small cabinet. Then then sent me another large unit. Another call to them explaining the same, and again...another large unit shows up.

Finally, i threatened to cancel and told them this is THE ONLY unit that will fit, i have it here...you dont need to send me anything...and i bought it from a directv authorized dealer. They FINALLY were able to activate it. It took over 3 hours or calling...10 calls in total to get them to do it, but they did.

For anyone trying to do this, this is what seemed to be key:

1. Make sure the reciever is "owned".
2. Say you bought it from a directv authorized dealer.
3. Threaten to cancel...in a nice way.
4. Say "its the only one that will fit in my new cabinet".
5. DO NOT EVER MENTION "RV". EVER.

I feel like i won a battle getting this sucker activated! I thought it was impossible. Hope this helps others.

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #2

That’s why I prefer Dish. The Wally will fit in any cabinet and it only took <5 minutes to activate it.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

probably should have had the dealer do the activation. we ordered our equipment from direct tv and as soon as the technician came out to install it and saw the rv they said they would not install it. we used an rv satellite company and got the exact same equipment and services that we wanted to get from direct tv and they handled the activation. i do not understand direct tv!
Old 07-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That’s why I prefer Dish. The Wally will fit in any cabinet and it only took <5 minutes to activate it.
Agree....and in in-motion HD.

DirectTV is only SD now in-motion.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

I still use my Direct TV SD receiver with the original 18" dish. It works fine with the Samsung 32" tv. Direct TV sends me information about how they want to upgrade our SD receiver to HD and SD services will end. When I checked I found out that with the SD receiver we will not be able to get our local channels after October this year. So what I don't even watch our local channels when we're at home.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #6

I had a SD in-motion system on my old coach. Now that i have the winegard travler on my DX3 i would never go back. Better TV than i have at home. Love having HD.

For in-motion video just use netflix or stream (included free with directv).

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

Ditto, Direct is a nightmare to deal with.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:16 AM   #8

The H25 is a great receiver. I purchased mine new and DirecTv activated them with no problems at all, but that was before DirecTv was AT&T, so maybe things are different now.

I have never had any bad experiences with DirecTv. I read here and at other RV forums where people say DirecTv won’t do this and they won’t do that, but over the years I have had DirecTv do just about everything people say they won’t do with no hassles or pushback at all.

I have never used Dish, so I can’t comment on the differences of the two services, but I have never had the need to ever consider using Dish instead of DirecTv because DirecTv has always been great for me.

I use a full-size Slimline dish on a TV 4 RV tripod. I have one DVR receiver In the living room and two H25 receivers in my RV — one for the bedroom and one for outside. Ive been using this setup for about 8 years. It takes me only about 10 minutes to setup my dish to capture the signals from all three satellites and be ready to watch TV. I’ve changed my location countless times and never had a problem with DirecTv changing my spot beam. I’ve just never had any problems with them, so I can never understand why others complain so much.

Bruce
Old 07-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Ditto, Direct is a nightmare to deal with.
... except for those of us who have never had any issues with them.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I agree.

I’m just a plumber, but I do know a whole lot about how to properly setup and use DirecTv. When I decided to go with satellite TV for my RV many years ago, I spent hours researching and learning how everything works. I also spent hours on the phone with the owner of www.tv4rv.com talking about satellite TV in general — this is where I learned most of what I know — this is such a wonderful company.

Bruce
Old 07-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
probably should have had the dealer do the activation. we ordered our equipment from direct tv and as soon as the technician came out to install it and saw the rv they said they would not install it.
It may depend on the specific technician, but when I first ordered DirecTv for a previous travel trailer, I told them the installation was going to be in my travel trailer. They didn’t have any problem with that. When the technician showed up at my home he told me he had never done an RV installation before, but he said it made no difference to him and that it would be easier than a new installation in a home anyways. The only problem was that where my RV was parked at home, there was no clear path to the satellites, but that didn’t dissuade the installer. He set everything up, then took the receivers home so he could activate them from there, then came back the next day to install the activated receivers. After doing that, he wanted to make sure everything worked, so I hooked up my travel trailer and he followed me to a nearby park where I plugged into my generator, aimed my dish and verified the installation was good.

This was the beginning of my great relationship/experience with DirecTv.

Bruce
Old 07-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Ditto. When ATT bought DTV they needed a tv provider to compete with the cable giants that where doing phone, internet, tv. Now with most tv going to streaming services ATT is separating itself from DTV. At least in the billing. I like DTV because I gave up on cable years ago and Dish refuses to carry some of the news channels I watch like OANN.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Ditto. When ATT bought DTV they needed a tv provider to compete with the cable giants that where doing phone, internet, tv. Now with most tv going to streaming services ATT is separating itself from DTV. At least in the billing. I like DTV because I gave up on cable years ago and Dish refuses to carry some of the news channels I watch like OANN.
This is the one difference between Dish and DirecTv that I do know. DirecTv has a much more comprehensive channel lineup than Dish.

Bruce
Old 07-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
Commercial Member

lol....so they have 4 channels I might watch instead of 3.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
lol....so they have 4 channels I might watch instead of 3.
That is a very significant 33-1/3% increase in channels!

Bruce