Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Señor Miembro

Snow tires and alternate tire sizes for freightliner

I'm going to be doing some winter snow driving through lots of passes in the Pacific North West this winter. I'm probably going to get some snow tires for the front wheels. Of course, I can't find any offered in the stock tire size of 275/80R22.5 but there are some that are close:

Continental hsw-2-coach
295/80@22.5 1.3" taller, 0.8" wider

Michelin x-incity-z
305/70R22.5 1/2" shorter, 1.2" wider
Michelintruck x-multiway-3d-xze
295/80@22.5 1.3" taller, 0.8" wider

I don't have my rig here so am not sure how much room there is front and rear for a little taller and/or wider tire.

Q1. Does anyone know how much room we have to play with tire size?

Q2. Has anyone switched tire size and if so to what and did you have any issues?

Q3. If a different height, are M2's easy to reprogram the speedometer for the corrected speed?

Q4. Has anyone else put snow tires on theirs?

Thanks for any experiences you can share.
p.s. Also, I found this cool size comparison tool. It's meant only for tires!
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

Should be tons of room both height and width in the front wheel wells. I would turn the front wheels to full lock in both directions and see how close you are to any suspension components just to be safe.

Rear wheel wells may be a little closer. Inside the fiberglass wheel well trim, there is lots of open space, but the edge of the tire is only 2" from that trim in one spot. As long as you dont go significantly wider or taller you will probably be OK, especially if you dont plan on using chains.

You should be able to call Freightliner to find out what it takes to calibrate the speedo to different tire diameters.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, tire, tires