Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I can imagine the idea of tearing out the tile and putting other flooring in seems unpalatable. Wonder how much weight ceramic tile adds to an RV. Seems like it would be a LOT. While opulent in an RV, it just doesn't seem practical.

Actually removing the stock tile
Is VERY easy. Doesn’t look like they are glued down at all. I found this out when replacing one.

You should be able to remove them all in under an hour.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:39 AM   #22
Commercial Member

In many cases it just "looks" like we go under the wall. We often put a sill plate down for the wall to sit on, the tile just goes up to it. (for partition walls).

Cabinets may set on the tile and you might need to cut those out...but it varies.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #23

In our 2016 DX3, we had grout breaking and tiles coming up. It was fixed under warranty but it just kept happening so I took out the tile. It took me about 4 hours to remove it all. It poops up pretty easily with a WonderBar. I had to scrape the silicone off the sub-floor around the edges but it wasn’t that difficult. I replaced it with LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank) we matched it to the tile and you can’t tell it’s not original. We did have to put down a thin layer between the sub-floor and the LVP as the LVP is thinner than the tile. If you know a carpet or LVP installer it took about 8 hours to put in. Then we put some matching silicone around the edges and it looks great. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2022, 10:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
One of the very few complaints I have about my 2018 DX3 is the tiles on the floor. I've had to replace almost 10 tiles because they crack. I am not a fan of the material nor the design of the construction of the flooring.

Well, now I need another tile and the parts are no longer available. UGH. I was told by Dynamax to epoxy the tile and stain it to look like a replacement.

Anyone have any extra tile? This is extremely frustrating. I need to find someone to replace all the tile and put something better in.

So if anyone has any extra tile or any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. (other than trade it in for a new one...lol)
Definitely LVT, we took out ceramic in our kitchen/mud room area and replaced with LVT. 3 years ago.
Looks as good as ceramic, warmer on the feet and won’t crack.
We bought 1x2 tiles that we grouted
We like it so much we are replacing the complete flooring in our motorhome with the exact same product.
Only difference is we are not grouting the flooring in the motorhome due to flexing etc.
What we are using is Armstrong Atlerna Designs,not cheap but awesome flooring.
Celticrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:12 AM   #25
Tinkerer and Putterer

If you want to go back with tile you should plan on protecting it. Have the installer reinforce the floor to remove any bounce if present and then look into using an uncoupling membrane like Shulter Ditra under the tile. You can't guarantee that road vibrations still won't take out a few tiles but doing those two steps will give your tile the best shot at a long life.

The biggest downside here will be the weight you add to your rig. When done you may have twice as much poundage into your floor than before. In comparison that LVT will reduce your static weight. Just some food for thought.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAndDownTheWest View Post
In our 2016 DX3, we had grout breaking and tiles coming up. It was fixed under warranty but it just kept happening so I took out the tile. It took me about 4 hours to remove it all. It poops up pretty easily with a WonderBar. I had to scrape the silicone off the sub-floor around the edges but it wasn’t that difficult. I replaced it with LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank) we matched it to the tile and you can’t tell it’s not original. We did have to put down a thin layer between the sub-floor and the LVP as the LVP is thinner than the tile. If you know a carpet or LVP installer it took about 8 hours to put in. Then we put some matching silicone around the edges and it looks great. Good luck!
Thank you so much... like many of you that have done this, I'm pretty sure that's the best way to go.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
The original tile was removed. It was cut along the cabinets and walls where it would be impossible to remove without major surgery to the whole interior.

Then a thin subfloor layer was installed because the tile is thicker than the LVT. The LVT was then installed on that. Where it met the walls (not the cabinets) floor trim (shoe molding) was installed to make it a clean finish.

Only way you could tell tile was ever in there was either get on your knees with a flashlight and look under cabinets or lift up the bed and look under there.

Okay, so I contacted a flooring company that has done a bunch of tile replacements in RV's. He is pulling up anything that is hidden (ie. bedroom slide, bed, etc)

Anyone want to share what they paid when they had it replaced?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-17-2022, 09:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAndDownTheWest View Post
How much stuff did you remove to access the floor? Obviously the bed needs to come up and I can see we're going to have to do something with the dresser slideout.

Quote:
The original tile was removed. It was cut along the cabinets and walls where it would be impossible to remove without major surgery to the whole interior.

Then a thin subfloor layer was installed because the tile is thicker than the LVT. The LVT was then installed on that. Where it met the walls (not the cabinets) floor trim (shoe molding) was installed to make it a clean finish.

Only way you could tell tile was ever in there was either get on your knees with a flashlight and look under cabinets or lift up the bed and look under there.

Okay, so I contacted a flooring company that has done a bunch of tile replacements in RV's. He is pulling up anything that is hidden (ie. bedroom slide, bed, etc)

Anyone want to share what they paid when they had it replaced?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #29

Mark,

I was fortunate that since we had over 20 tiles cracked and a lot of loose grout while the coach was still under warranty Dynamax replaced the floor at no charge. They offered to replace the tiles or do the LVT. We chose the LVT and were glad we did.

As I said, where our tile went under the bed or other areas where it could not easily be removed, it was cut along the wall or around the bed. No walls or cabinets were removed nor was the bed. Once the new sub-floor was installed and the flooring was installed, no one but my wife or I would ever know it was done. Even then the only way to really know some tile still existed was to look under the bed where you could see a few remaining pieces.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Mark,

I was fortunate that since we had over 20 tiles cracked and a lot of loose grout while the coach was still under warranty Dynamax replaced the floor at no charge. They offered to replace the tiles or do the LVT. We chose the LVT and were glad we did.

As I said, where our tile went under the bed or other areas where it could not easily be removed, it was cut along the wall or around the bed. No walls or cabinets were removed nor was the bed. Once the new sub-floor was installed and the flooring was installed, no one but my wife or I would ever know it was done. Even then the only way to really know some tile still existed was to look under the bed where you could see a few remaining pieces.
I appreciate that. The installer wants to remove the bed and all necc. trim and or furniture. I'm not sure how I feel about leaving under the bed.... I think my OCD'ish would kick in and wish I had removed the bed. Guess I'll see what is involved in that.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and offers. This group is so much of my RV'ing life.

Thank you,

Mark
Old 03-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #31
PSU

Has the current LVP spec being installed on 2022 DX3 models been posted?

Assuming it will be a Shaw product (Berkshire).
PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:51 AM   #32
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU View Post
Has the current LVP spec being installed on 2022 DX3 models been posted?

Assuming it will be a Shaw product (Berkshire).
We don't always use Berkshire companies.

The VCT we use today is Shaw, but has not always been.

In the lino world, we actually use Armstrong today. Corporate did testing on wear/damage/repair and while Shaw did well, Armstrong was the clear winner for durability and resistance to tear/damage.

Carefree is another Berkshire company...while we use them, we have moved a lot of our business elsewhere due to supply concerns.

They have never asked us to use specific companies, they just let us run our business as before.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:02 PM   #33
PSU

Brian, thank you for the explanation.

Are you at liberty to disclose the specific product line and colour being used in the current DX3 (if available through a retail supplier)?
PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU View Post
Brian, thank you for the explanation.

Are you at liberty to disclose the specific product line and colour being used in the current DX3 (if available through a retail supplier)?
It has also changed a few times due to COvid. I think currently we are using Paragon Ash from Shaw.

Prior to that we were running Rigid Core from Shaw (not 100% sure on color)