Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #1

So disappointed.... tiles discontinued.

One of the very few complaints I have about my 2018 DX3 is the tiles on the floor. I've had to replace almost 10 tiles because they crack. I am not a fan of the material nor the design of the construction of the flooring.

Well, now I need another tile and the parts are no longer available. UGH. I was told by Dynamax to epoxy the tile and stain it to look like a replacement.

Anyone have any extra tile? This is extremely frustrating. I need to find someone to replace all the tile and put something better in.

So if anyone has any extra tile or any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. (other than trade it in for a new one...lol)
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #2

Putting a rigid product on a moving platform never made sense to me but they are beautiful. Have you thought about removing the tile and replacing with wood floor? just something to consider.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #3

We had the same issue on our 2018 (cracking tiles). Eventually all the tile was replaced with the LVT tile Dynamax currently uses in the DX3 and XL when not installing ceramic tile. We liked it way better than the ceramic tile. Enough so that when we ordered our 2021 XL we specified the LVT instead of the ceramic tile.

Easy to clean, not as slippery when wet, not as cold on your feet and no more worries about cracking tiles. It’s a big job, but something to consider.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

This new vinyl flooring that looks like wood is light and looks beautiful. I'm considering putting it in my kitchen at home, as my old linoleum single sheet floor is lifting up from subfloor. And when you drop a glass or plate, it doesn't shatter like dropping it on tile.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #5

Heads up to forum readers "LVT" stands for Luxury Vinyl Tile.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Heads up to forum readers "LVT" stands for Luxury Vinyl Tile.
Thanks. In my world, LVT meant Landing Vehicle Tracked.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
One of the very few complaints I have about my 2018 DX3 is the tiles on the floor. I've had to replace almost 10 tiles because they crack. I am not a fan of the material nor the design of the construction of the flooring.

Well, now I need another tile and the parts are no longer available. UGH. I was told by Dynamax to epoxy the tile and stain it to look like a replacement.

Anyone have any extra tile? This is extremely frustrating. I need to find someone to replace all the tile and put something better in.

So if anyone has any extra tile or any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. (other than trade it in for a new one...lol)
Snapstone closed shop... They made a change mid-use to another mfg so what we had reserved for service coaches got used up to complete existing coaches and did not match size & thickness. Nothing we could do about it.

2 part epoxy was my suggestion as it is mentioned online for repairing tiles that are no longer in production.

There is also this thread that was posted not long ago.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...le-246732.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #8

That is always an issue with decorative products, even if they stay in business the colors and designs change. When I have built new houses for myself I always keep extra. But you’re past that now so here are a couple ideas. If you have large tiles consider replacing it with a smaller size, there are endless patterns and colors, try to chose a tile with a PEI rating of 4 or 5 for wear. Consider using an uncoupling membrane if s possible.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
This new vinyl flooring that looks like wood is light and looks beautiful. I'm considering putting it in my kitchen at home, as my old linoleum single sheet floor is lifting up from subfloor. And when you drop a glass or plate, it doesn't shatter like dropping it on tile.
Last summer, we shopped Menards and found waterproof plank flooring in a gray color. It looks like old pieces of wood fit in like a puzzle. The seams are virtually invisible. Best part, it was under $2/sf. It is also non slip. We placed it directly over the vinyl.

In our second residence, we have composite tile squares in the kitchen. Not waterproof and the seams are starting to show. I believe that what little water does get on the flooring is enough to expand the tiles like pressed wood. The rest of the home is plank flooring put in at the same time. It still looks new. We use the same process to clean both style floors.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:46 PM   #10

I replaced one of the tiles in my 2018 DX3 a few months ago. I was lucky to receive 5 spares with the coach. Unfortunatly 3 are broken, so now I only have one spare left.

The interlocking wood stuff I put in my office would work well in the DX3.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:10 PM   #11

If you don’t mind a wood floor, the most durable product I have seen and used is Calibamboo. They manufacture solid boards from bamboo or eucalyptus. I like the eucalyptus mocha. They are a solid board not pressed paper or plywood. They have one of the highest janka ratings for hardness and a 10 coat urethane top coat. I think Lowes is a dealer and maybe others where you live. I have always bought direct.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:22 PM   #12

A long time ago kitchen and bath remodelers found that tile can only be applied to cement boards on walls or floors. Otherwise, well, you know what happens.

Being in a moving vehicle is worse.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:05 PM   #13
Retired Army Paratrooper

How many tiles do you need?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #14

Ceramic itles

Yes, in our flooring department where I worked, it was mandatory to install cement board that was screwed down every 6" on the square to the subfloor. Then install ceramic tile. Otherwise, no warranty.

In our previous travel trailer, we installed Pergo Max Hardwood flooring. It is a very nice and durable product. And will tolerate the movements of a travel trailer. I did use adhesive on the bottom and 1" 18ga nails in the grooves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	269505  
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
We had the same issue on our 2018 (cracking tiles). Eventually all the tile was replaced with the LVT tile Dynamax currently uses in the DX3 and XL when not installing ceramic tile. We liked it way better than the ceramic tile. Enough so that when we ordered our 2021 XL we specified the LVT instead of the ceramic tile.

Easy to clean, not as slippery when wet, not as cold on your feet and no more worries about cracking tiles. It’s a big job, but something to consider.
That would be my ideal wish. I have someone that does it for a living (lays LVT) but my concern is that I was looking at how it goes under walls, cabinets and furniture.

Did you completely gut the inside or just butt it up to those edges? I’m assuming if you butted it up against the edges, you laid the LVT “over” the existing tile?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-04-2022, 06:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
How many tiles do you need?

One! And depending on how many you have, it would be nice to at least have one extra since this isn’t the first time it happened.

Let me know.

Mark
Old 03-04-2022, 06:48 AM   #17

I thought about that. It would look weird at first but eventually as they keep breaking, I suppose it would look like it was on purpose.

My other idea was to follow the suggestion of Dynamax. They said to lay an epoxy on the tile, sand it and stain it.

I could choose a color off color amd do that intermittently so it looked like the coach came that way.

Great idea though!

Mark
Old 03-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

I can imagine the idea of tearing out the tile and putting other flooring in seems unpalatable. Wonder how much weight ceramic tile adds to an RV. Seems like it would be a LOT. While opulent in an RV, it just doesn't seem practical.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #19

Quote:
That would be my ideal wish. I have someone that does it for a living (lays LVT) but my concern is that I was looking at how it goes under walls, cabinets and furniture.

Did you completely gut the inside or just butt it up to those edges? I’m assuming if you butted it up against the edges, you laid the LVT “over” the existing tile?

Thanks,

Mark

The original tile was removed. It was cut along the cabinets and walls where it would be impossible to remove without major surgery to the whole interior.

Then a thin subfloor layer was installed because the tile is thicker than the LVT. The LVT was then installed on that. Where it met the walls (not the cabinets) floor trim (shoe molding) was installed to make it a clean finish.

Only way you could tell tile was ever in there was either get on your knees with a flashlight and look under cabinets or lift up the bed and look under there.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #20
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
One! And depending on how many you have, it would be nice to at least have one extra since this isn’t the first time it happened.

Let me know.

Mark
I can send you 2 or bring them to the Rally in June. Need you to verify the size of yours because they did change sizes at some point.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote